Hargreaves & Lansdown SIPP for newbie

Comments

• Fermion wrote: »
    If its over 20 years I would consider a balanced spread of investments:
    Troy Trojan Income
    CF Woodford Equity Income
    Marborough Multi-Cap Income
    Newton Global Income

Make sure you go for the lowest cost options for each of the above where HL have negotiated a discount with the Investment Company - also go for the Income fund option (with income reinvested) rather than Accumulation fund.

Does this mean I have to open 4 SIPP accounts or can you pick these 4 funds in the 1 SIPP?
  • Fermion
    Fermion Posts: 161
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Does this mean I have to open 4 SIPP accounts or can you pick these 4 funds in the 1 SIPP?

No just 1 SIPP with 4 (or more) different investments in your SIPP account
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Fermion wrote: »
    Troy Trojan Income
    Newton Global Income

Make sure you go for the lowest cost options for each of the above where HL have negotiated a discount with the Investment Company - also go for the Income fund option (with income reinvested) rather than Accumulation fund.

Why income reinvested and not accumulation ?

And why 4 managed funds and not a tracker or two ?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Troy Trojan Income
    Newton Global Income

Why this four, surely quite uk biased?

Also accumulation would be easier.

Probably cheaper elsewhere even with hl s supposedly special discounts.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,031
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Troy Trojan Income
    Newton Global Income

That is not very balanced at all.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Fermion
    Fermion Posts: 161
    Forumite
    Why income reinvested and not accumulation ?

And why 4 managed funds and not a tracker or two ?

I always prefer Income rather than Accumulation funds simply because it gives me more control and more importantly at Drawdown you don't have to sell all of the Accumulation funds and reinvest the residual 75% pot in Income funds to get an ongoing pension income. HL have an option to reinvest income across a range of existing funds in whatever percentages you wish. I suspect other SIPP providers will provide similar options.

Regarding a single/couple of Trackers rather than managed funds; really a personal thing. I'm in Drawdown now but historically I've had a number of Personal/Stakeholder pensions(company money purchase) over the years mainly with low cost Tracker funds as well as a HL SIPP with selected managed funds for the last 10 years. I've always been disappointed with the former Tracker funds; my HL managed funds have performed very well and significantly better than the Trackers.
    That is not very balanced at all.

OK point taken, perhaps "selected" rather than "balanced" would be a better description, although if you added an Asia/Pacific Income fund (such as Jupiter Asia Income or Newton Asia Income)to the list then I would argue it could be called a balanced set of Equity Income Funds.
  • MPN
    MPN Posts: 365
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Well, everyone would like to know that ! Ask again in 20 years.

The suggestions in post by MPN are good mid range options, I've got some of those and have been in the main high risk but have been dialling it back recently to funds like these including VLS80. You could go 60 or 40 (or 20 if you are a wuss :D) , the higher the number the higher the risk, but over 20 years I wouldn't play it too safe.

You mention VLS 80 but I feel more people are now going for an all world tracker for about 70 and then 20 in active strategic bonds and again 10 in a global property fund like Blackrock?
  • StellaN
    StellaN Posts: 354
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    MPN wrote: »
    You mention VLS 80 but I feel more people are now going for an all world tracker for about 70 and then 20 in active strategic bonds and again 10 in a global property fund like Blackrock?

I am considering exactly the same type of portfolio. Anybody else got any comments or views on this type of portfolio and asset allocation?
  • MonroeM
    MonroeM Posts: 174
    Forumite
    StellaN wrote: »
    I am considering exactly the same type of portfolio. Anybody else got any comments or views on this type of portfolio and asset allocation?

I'm not really experienced enough to make comment although I must say that 70 per cent in an all world tracker, 20 per cent in strategic bonds and 10 per cent in a global property tracker sounds good to me? I'm sure the more experienced investors on here can comment further on whether this is a good asset allocation for a pension portfolio?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,031
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    MonroeM wrote: »
    I'm not really experienced enough to make comment although I must say that 70 per cent in an all world tracker, 20 per cent in strategic bonds and 10 per cent in a global property tracker sounds good to me? I'm sure the more experienced investors on here can comment further on whether this is a good asset allocation for a pension portfolio?

What volatility rating are you aiming for with that?
    The global property tracker increases the risk (as its property share and not physical property).

Why strategic bonds? Things appear to be moving away from strategic bonds at this point in the cycle. So, what is attracting you to them and not other bonds?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure