Bus lane driving fines - Edinburgh Council?

Comments

• Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Trebor16 wrote: »
    Oh dear, another sanctimonious holier than thou type. The OP asked for advice, not judgemental crap.

Read the signs - Sounds like good advice to me.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Trebor16 wrote: »
    Oh dear, another sanctimonious holier than thou type. The OP asked for advice, not judgemental crap.

No someone who has driven in Edinburgh for many years.
    Cameras,new
    Greenways and associated rules,over 20 years old.
  • It's started in Glasgow, too.
    ''apply within'' :)
  • Horseunderwater
    Horseunderwater Posts: 3,406
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As a bus driver of many years - admittedly not up in Scotland - the most annoying thing is drivers intentionally thinking that they can just suddenly shoot in front of a bus driver often with a full standing load and suddenly stop, thereby endangering all in the bus. These drivers say that bus lanes are for all who need to use them in an emergency. Well the 100+ times it happened to me, the car drivers could have pulled in behind my bus and still stopped without causing me to brake suddenly and causing umpteam passengers to fall over. One of which was serious enough to call medics out and have to go to hospital. The child went flying down the bus and hit hard metal pole. So next time tell your child to think about that possible scenario! Oh and by the way if you are caught and decide to fight fine can be £1000 last time I checked. Could be higher in Bonny Scotland.
  • custardy
    Forumite
    http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/buslaneenforcement

We have erected bus lane cameras at ten problem sites in the city. Large temporary yellow signs will tell you when the bus lane cameras begin operating near these locations. Permanent signs have also been put up in advance of these locations.

so not really easy to miss..

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/1274/tickets_clamping_and_removal/449/parking_rules_in_edinburgh/4
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What I find difficult is the small print on the sings advising what times bus lanes are restricted to a.n.other road users.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • custardy
    Forumite
    missile wrote: »
    What I find difficult is the small print on the sings advising what times bus lanes are restricted to a.n.other road users.

small print?

traffic_sign_bus_taxi_dp_220x150.jpg

If in doubt,stay out of the bus lane
  • jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    When can you enter a bus lane? Turning left Into side street? To zoom up when everyone is turning right and I'm going left? To go round a car indicating right?
  • custardy
    Forumite
    jb66 wrote: »
    When can you enter a bus lane? Turning left Into side street? To zoom up when everyone is turning right and I'm going left? To go round a car indicating right?
    You may also cross Greenways to turn into side streets, driveways, car parks or a parking place.

you can enter to pass through as the above.
    you can't simply decide you aren't waiting and will drive up the bus lane.
    thats why they had to fit cameras and folks are crying now.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jb66 wrote: »
    When can you enter a bus lane? Turning left Into side street? When the bus lane line becomes broken, yes To zoom up when everyone is turning right and I'm going left? Again if the line is broken for that purpose To go round a car indicating right? No

The same as in, er, every other city. Why do Edinburgh motorists have such an issue?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure