PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2015 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Signing up with an official budget of £253.10

Trying (again) for an unofficial budget of £200, and actual shop spend (after reductions, multibuys and whoopsies) of £105

Budget is for food only - toiletries and cleaning have their own budgets. No alcohol as I'm tee-total and DS1 buys his own.

This month includes a week away self-catering with OH, and I don't yet know how the grocery spends are going to split - could make things a little more tricky

Plus DS1 starts a new job next Monday, which is 5 days a week instead of 7 shifts a fortnight - and he's hinted he'd like a ready meal to take in every shift which means more spending there 'cos he won't eat home-made ones :eek: The only plus side to this is that it means I can use up a whole load of long term stock items as it'll leave me catering for just me for most of the month ;)

My month runs 1st to 31st inclusive
    Cheryl
  • yellowbirdy44
    yellowbirdy44 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2015 at 11:05AM
    Newbie here.

I have been lurking for a while and AMAZED and INSPIRED at how little some of you manage to get by with.

There's only 2 of us and 2 cats. I have a budget of £340 a month for 'shopping' ie all food, drink and toiletries etc. And I ALWAYS go over it - totally ashamed of this! :(

We are a 50% vegetarian household (so by default that tends to be 100% as I'm not cooking two separate dinners!), and 50% tee total so really we could manage so much better.

I'm shopping at Lidl's now rather than a home delivery from Mr T and also Wilko's and Savers for toiletries.

Going by the guidelines, I'm going to start slowly so lets say £290 for July and see where I end up. Fingers x'd.
    Love your library
  • The_Only_Girl
    The_Only_Girl Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 25 June 2015 at 11:07AM
    Newbie here.

I have been lurking for a while and AMAZED and INSPIRED at how little some of you manage to get by with.

There's only 2 of us and 2 cats. I have a budget of £340 a month for 'shopping' ie all food, drink and toiletries etc. And I ALWAYS go over it - totally ashamed of this! :(

We are a 50% vegetarian household (so by default that tends to be 100% as I'm not cooking two separate dinners!), and 50% tee total so really we could manage so much better.

I'm shopping at Lidl's now rather than a home delivery from Mr T and also Wilko's and Savers for toiletries.

Going by the guidelines, I'm going to start slowly so lets say £290 for July and see where I end up. Fingers x'd.

Welcome aboard yellowbirdy. I am new on this board as well but lurked for a bit and like yourself, I am amazed at how the forumites manage on less. I was dubious as to whether I could do it myself but having gone down from £650 to £400 last month, I now know it could be done. Good luck. My family and I are also tee-total and partly vegetarians (I wish we could fully convert, the right time will come, hopefully).

Have your tried Home Bargains and B&M? They also have amazing bargains. Sometimes they do bargains and offers for almost nothing - sometimes as low as 10p. You just need to look at the not so obvious places. A few months ago, I saw some disposable paper cups (with nice designs) for 10p for a pack of 12. Wow, that's less than 1pm each cup. Needless to say, I bought all their remaining stocks. Some may argue that it is not very MSE....

Looking forward to exchanging ideas with you on this board. Have a nice day.
    "There is Life AFTER DEBT."LBM 2009 Total Debt £49046.24 Debt Free as of 27/08/2015
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi everyone,

Budgets updated to here :)

Welcome/welcome back to:
    Manxcottageonthe..., The Only Girl, Nicki_Sue, *snow*white*, -Selene, and yellowbirdy44 :D

Good luck everyone
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • ellejaytee
    ellejaytee Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been lurking for a while and will definitely try and see this month through just as an experiment.

Can you put me down for £100 from the 1st through till the end of the month. My budget at the start of the year was £150 for the two of us, but it's been under that on average, so I'll try and save some more money by getting it to £100.

Good luck everyone!
    Save £12k in 2014 Member 81 £1930.23/£5000
  • Morning folks, i am joining for my first ever challenge, added up my spends last month and came to £303 - for 4 weeks that was £75 approx week - i am looking to now budget at £50 per week
    How people treat you is their Karma: how you react is yours

• mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Hi guys ..
    I really need to pull my finger out and get back into GC .. I was solo good last year and this year got my extension to still pay for (nearly there but last few thousands a killer !) so can I rejoin please

I will be £250/month

I've got a bit in the freezer I am hoping to use up too. I think Im going to just take the money out when paid then hide my bank card ;)

lisa
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • Hello all, budget of £250 again for July please.

June wasn't too bad considering huge overspends on the previous few months so hopefully back on track as keeping a much closer eye on things.

Thanks everyone.
  • georgiesmummy
    georgiesmummy Posts: 15 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 June 2015 at 11:43AM
    Hi

I am new to this and would like to have a go at July's as drastically need to stop spending as much as I do and i do tend to waste so am hoping to get ideas for menus where I can use leftovers following day.

On average I spent 600 a month ( approx 150 a week) on food and buy weekly.
    I am going to go through what we already have in both freezers and cupboards so I'm not repeat buying on things I don't need ( I often end up with more than I need) then can top up with a list as I go.

I am going to try for £500 for July please

Dee x
    January Grocery Challenge - £259.44 / £375
    ( £259.44 / £4500 for year)
    Sealed Pot Challenge / £500
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Thank you again to all who run the thread and keep us all in order.
    I would like to set my budget for £250 for July please - thinking of setting this every month now as I am finding it increasingly harder to do £200 now we are doing more of mums meals. Just thankful we are in a position financially to do it without hardship. It really must be awful for those who cant and I try to buy a little extra each week to take to the food bank to help someone.
    Good luck everyone and see you on this thread soon.
    MARCH £62.38/250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport