What should appear on my credit report.

Hi, some advice if I can.

I have signed up to the Credit Club and viewed my experian report, the problem I have is that there is a lot of accounts on there that are not mine. They belong to my wife and although we do have a joint bank account so a financial association, i dont believe all of her accounts should appear on my report.

She has a mobile phone, a couple of loans, credit card etc which I do know about but they are in her name and nothing to do with me, it is making my credit file look as if I have a load of accounts on there that I am not responsible for.

I do have my own car loan, mobile phone and credit cards but looking at my report I have loads more debt than I actually do because it is counting all of her personal accounts as mine.

Is this right or wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• KoshB5
    KoshB5 Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 March 2017 at 11:42AM
    A credit file is the financial history of an individual, showing accounts that have been opened in sole or joint names. If there are accounts that aren't in your name you need to raise a dispute with the CRA.

If you have any joint accounts your file with create a financial association link and you will see this on your report.

Check your details with all 3 CRA's https://www.noddle.co.uk, https://www.clearscore.co.uk

This is a good article on CRA's and their data from the ICO, who regulates them https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/credit/
  • KoshB5 wrote: »
    A credit file is the financial history of an individual, showing accounts that have been opened in sole or joint names. If there are accounts that aren't in your name you need to raise a dispute with the CRA.

If you have a joint account then your file with create a financial association link and you will see this on your report.

Check your details with all 3 CRA's

This is a good article on CRA's and their data from the ICO, who regulates them

Thanks,

I am quite happy for our joint bank account to show on my file, its mine too but it was just her individual loans, cards and mobiles all being on mine for no reason. The other two CRA's seem fine but Equifax isnt.

I have raised disputes with equifax but I wanted to make sure that I wasnt wrong with what I was thinking. My Equifax report looks as if I have about 10k of debt that isnt mine and about 10 accounts that are nothing to do with me (both open and closed)

Links removed from quote as I cannot post them as a new user

Thanks
  • KoshB5
    KoshB5 Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    They have 28 days to resolve a dispute after which you can complain to the regulatory (ICO).
  • MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    Hi, some advice if I can.

I have signed up to the Credit Club and viewed my experian report, the problem I have is that there is a lot of accounts on there that are not mine. They belong to my wife and although we do have a joint bank account so a financial association, i dont believe all of her accounts should appear on my report.

She has a mobile phone, a couple of loans, credit card etc which I do know about but they are in her name and nothing to do with me, it is making my credit file look as if I have a load of accounts on there that I am not responsible for.

I do have my own car loan, mobile phone and credit cards but looking at my report I have loads more debt than I actually do because it is counting all of her personal accounts as mine.

Is this right or wrong?

Thanks

Hi Insertusername

Would you be able to drop us an email to credticlub@moneysavingexpert.com with your report number (found at the top of the Credit Report tab). We can then ask Experian to check this out for you.

On a more general basis, you can also raise a query on your Credit Club report by using the 'Need some help' tab. The team at Experian will then look into this for you.

I hope this helps.
  • MSE_Dan_L wrote: »
    Hi Insertusername

Would you be able to drop us an email to credticlub@moneysavingexpert.com with your report number (found at the top of the Credit Report tab). We can then ask Experian to check this out for you.

On a more general basis, you can also raise a query on your Credit Club report by using the 'Need some help' tab. The team at Experian will then look into this for you.

I hope this helps.

Done, thanks.
  • sonstream
    sonstream Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd check the aliases section on your report in case a lender has recorded that you are also known as your wife
  • sonstream wrote: »
    I'd check the aliases section on your report in case a lender has recorded that you are also known as your wife

I think that might actually be what it is. Hopefully this can be removed.

Is it likely I will see an increase in my scoring once this is removed, there is no negative history with these loans but the amounts just look high for me.
  • sonstream
    I think that might actually be what it is. Hopefully this can be removed.

Is it likely I will see an increase in my scoring once this is removed, there is no negative history with these loans but the amounts just look high for me.

the credit score could go up or down depending on the accounts that are showing, i wouldn't worry about the score it's the information that's contained in your credit file a lender will be looking at, for instance if you wife had a 10k loan that would be showing as an outstanding liability on your report and could impact a lenders decision when they do an affordability check. have a look at the aliases section it should tell you the company name who is reporting it you can then contact them directly to resolve the matter
  • sonstream wrote: »
    the credit score could go up or down depending on the accounts that are showing, i wouldn't worry about the score it's the information that's contained in your credit file a lender will be looking at, for instance if you wife had a 10k loan that would be showing as an outstanding liability on your report and could impact a lenders decision when they do an affordability check. have a look at the aliases section it should tell you the company name who is reporting it you can then contact them directly to resolve the matter

It looks as if the alias has come from a search that was done rather than something that is being reported monthly.

The affordability check is something I think is lowering my scores. At the moment it looks as if I have 15k of debts and loans when the true figure is probably closer to 2.5-3k. The history of the loans is good, they have never missed a payment so that is a positive thing where as I do have defaults from 3-4 years ago.

I really do hate credit reports ha. Thanks for your help. I have contacted experian and hopefully they can get this sorted pretty quickly.
  • sonstream
    It looks as if the alias has come from a search that was done rather than something that is being reported monthly.

The affordability check is something I think is lowering my scores. At the moment it looks as if I have 15k of debts and loans when the true figure is probably closer to 2.5-3k. The history of the loans is good, they have never missed a payment so that is a positive thing where as I do have defaults from 3-4 years ago.

I really do hate credit reports ha. Thanks for your help. I have contacted experian and hopefully they can get this sorted pretty quickly.

no problem hopefully can get things sorted out quite quickly !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure