Housing Benefit Element of Universal Credit

Hi all,

It seems our area will be switching over to Universal Credit sometime next summer so I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before it happens. As it's now one payment, does anyone know if that means I will be paid the Housing Benefit element of it or will they carry on paying that to the Housing Association and pay me the remainder?

Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,208
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It depends if you request it be paid to your landlord or not.
  • LocoLoco
    LocoLoco Posts: 420
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    It depends if you request it be paid to your landlord or not.

Thank you for such a quick reply, that's helpful, I didn't realise I could choose :)
  • The letter I received today says no, you are responsible for paying it to your landlord X
    The £1,000 emergency fund challenge #163 - £536.16/£1000
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    LocoLoco wrote: »
    Thank you for such a quick reply, that's helpful, I didn't realise I could choose :)

You can't. They'll only pay the landlord directly if you're in arrears or if there is evidence that you are unable to manage your payments, for instance due to a learning disability or having reduced capacity.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    UC is paid to the clm't & they then pay their rent
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Just because your area is going 'live; doesn't mean you'll be instantly 'migrated' to UC, it might be several years before you are 'naturally migrated' o,r more likely, your circumstances change and you are 'naturally migrated'.
  • LocoLoco
    LocoLoco Posts: 420
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Morning, everyone, thanks for all of the responses, I was wanting to work out the best way to avoid arrears and whether it was better to pay more to the Housing Association in advance to build up credit on my account or to save the money myself and then just take over paying the rent (it's currently paid direct to the HA but prior to that I've always paid it so it's not a problem either way). With all of that said, if, as konark says, it might be a long time before we switch anyway (I didn't know that, I thought it would be happening within a few months of going live) then I might not be claiming by then anyway (fingers crossed) so it might not even become an issue.

Many thanks for the responses, it's been a big help :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure