Bike repair dispute and advice

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 14 May 2017 at 10:49AM
    leeboy105 wrote: »

What it boils down to is, should the rear wheel last longer than it has done? Has it lasted a reasonable amount of time?
    My back wheel has done at least 10,000 miles. Its had a few broken spokes and is worn where the brakes rub but the bearings are fine. Its a good quality wheel which has been greased a few times by me.
    A neighbours cheap mountain bike had bearings that crumbled. They were poor quality, ungreased and the hub was possibly a bit loose. The neighbour is also quite heavy.
    I would expect a £150 refurbished bike to have wheel bearings that are checked and greased if needed. Its not difficult or expensive to do.
    If the chain is very worn its likely it was poor when you bought the bike. Did you or your sister ever oil it?

From here? http://www.cycletrainingwales.org.uk/cardiffcycleworkshop/?page_id=20

"All the bikes undergo a thorough assessment , before being serviced using both new and recycled components. Finally all bikes are subjected to a Pre-Delivery Inspection by one of our qualified mechanics before being put on sale."
  • I cannot believe that we have come to this standard where someone cannot change a tyre, mend a puncture, oil a bearing or find a willing neighbour to do this easy work without resorting to a shops high repair prices..
    Everyone used to repair their own cars when I was brought up.We all possessed ramps, axle stands spanners etc. Push bikes are an absolute doddle to repair. Three small tyre levers will remove the tyre and a tin of 3 in 1 oil for any bearing .Bikes are mostly made in China nowadays....so they are rubbish..expect things to fall apart pretty quickly

Anne Mustoe cycled around the world unable to mend a puncture. I don't know how her luck didn't run out, let alone how she could set out like that in the first place.
  • leeboy105 wrote: »
    I thought a serviced bike meant the rear wheel would last longer.

As Norman Castle says, you can get many thousands of miles from a wheel, but not if it's owned by people who allow bearings to run dry and pads to scrape the rim.

Having said that, when you compare the price of cheap bikes against the rising cost of labour, they are in imminent danger of joining the ever growing category of disposable products, particularly for anyone unable to do their own servicing.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Anne Mustoe cycled around the world unable to mend a puncture. I don't know how her luck didn't run out, let alone how she could set out like that in the first place.
    I ll have to have a read of that book. I like round the world pushbike tales.Dervla Murphy is the most famous lady biker..Cycling through Afghanistan..In Sting in the Tale, (I forget the auther ) he survived a murderous attack in Afghanistan..
    I personally have cycled to Greece and all around Crete and many European long rides..had plenty of punctures..she was lucky but probably suffered the extra weight of tyre protecting inners inside the tyre
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    In Sting in the Tale, (I forget the auther ) he survived a murderous attack in Afghanistan..

Peter Duker.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sting-Tail-Racing-Bicycle-Around/dp/0720706580
  • I ll have to have a read of that book. I like round the world pushbike tales.

I was disappointed with it. She's a retired headmistress and seemed more interested in showing off by telling us what Alexander the Great did than what she did. The book picked up a bit when she got out of range of where AtG had been.

I read Wind in my Wheels by Josie Dew, which I enjoyed.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Wheel: £15 - £500.

Showed that to my local cycle shop of choice and demanded they sell me a Reynolds RZR wheelset for £500.... they laughed!

Half decent wheels START at £500.

Seriously aren't most wheel bearings now sealed?

OP, Seiously what do you expect for £150ish inc lock????
  • leeboy105
    leeboy105 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Showed that to my local cycle shop of choice and demanded they sell me a Reynolds RZR wheelset for £500.... they laughed!

Half decent wheels START at £500.

Seriously aren't most wheel bearings now sealed?

OP, Seiously what do you expect for £150ish inc lock????

For the rear wheel to last longer than it has taking into consideration how much it was used.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    leeboy105 wrote: »
    For the rear wheel to last longer than it has taking into consideration how much it was used.

You're constantly ignoring the fact that you don't know how much it's been used. If it had been a brand new bike you'd be able to make an argument, but on a second hand bike of unknown provenance you have a much weaker case.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just to clarify a point. YOU have nothing to do with the seller at all. Your sister bought it , so any contract is with her not you. I am surprised that the seller even talked to you about it as he didn't need to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure