PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Backdated Ground Rent

Comments

• clutton wrote: »
    Morgoed- why should any of your tenants have to incur expense for them to prove that you have an entitlement to claim money from them - it is up to you - sent them a copy of your solicitors purtchase completion or some such official letter to prove your entitlement.....

In any case - what are you doing addressing someone on a public forum... you should be provided properly authenticated names and addresses by letter to your tenant......

NOT a very professional way to start off a business relationship......

Clutton - If Liz69 wants to check us out further at the Land Registry independently she does have that option. We do enclose rent authority letters from the previous owners on a issuing a first demand.

On your last point, we would very pleased if Liz69 contacts us direct as mentioned in our previous post. A post here has the benefit of being a record open to our other tenants who may come across this forum before looking at our web site.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Liz. please do as other posters have suggested. With all due respect to Morgoed Estates, a posting name does not validate that the poster is indeed that person or related to that person (ie. I could have posted as 'Gordon Brown').
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Clutton - If Liz69 wants to check us out further at the Land Registry independently she does have that option. We do enclose rent authority letters from the previous owners on a issuing a first demand.

On your last point, we would very pleased if Liz69 contacts us direct as mentioned in our previous post. A post here has the benefit of being a record open to our other tenants who may come across this forum before looking at our web site.

If you bothered to read the forum rules you would know you need to apply to the powers-that-be for permission to be an official company representative on MSE.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    edited 24 January 2010 at 11:55AM
    Margoed says "We do enclose rent authority letters from the previous owners on a issuing a first demand. "" - that indeed would be a professional way to do things....

Whilst you are here Margoed, do we have your unequivocal statement that you only charge your tenants exactly the same rent as that detailed in their original leases ?
  • Hi

Came across this thread as I am dealing with Morgoed Estates at present.

The purchased the ground rent for my house some years ago (2004?). I found out because a) the lady that used to collect the ground rent (my neighbour) told me it had been sold to the company b) I got their letter and enclosed was a kind of letter of authority from a solicitor. I can't remember if the solicitor contacted me independantly or not. They did not put the ground rent up.

They have since offered me the opportunity to purchase the ground rent outright - for £40. I guess its a low amount because its an old property and there must be some kind of limitation on what can be charged relative to the ground rent charge. I haven't completed the process yet and am hoping that it all goes well - I must admit to feeling a little nervous about it all myself - kind of too good/easy to be true?! But I can say that so far they've been professional and helpful. Lets see what happens.

HTH
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    do let us know how you get on....
  • They have since offered me the opportunity to purchase the ground rent outright - for £40.

I don't know anything about Morgoed Estates but given the kind of scams that have been reported on this forum this figure is a good sign and on the low side of what freeholders typically ask - also that they have bothered to come on this forum and make comments.

Credit where credit is due. We have never seen comments from certain other managing agents/freeholders who shall remain nameless for obvious reasons!
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • curlygirl1971
    curlygirl1971 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 February 2010 at 1:32AM
    Thanks Richard

Well I am in receipt of a 'Rentcharge Release Deed' for my property. The annual charge was previously £2.25 and the Release fee was £40.50. It was an easy process and like I say Morgoed were professional and prompt. Their covering letter states that the deed 'formally confirms the completion of your recent outright purchase of the rent liability'.

So I now have the freehold? I think. Feel a bit unsure as no where in the deed does it say the word 'freehold' and am wondering if all I've done is released myself from paying rent to the holder of the freehold........?

Their letter ends with '.....any amendments to the title (as registered at the land registry) would take place when the property is next sold. There is no need to take action now but obviously the release deed must be kept safe with the (title) deeds, so that it may be sent on to the Land Registry when next the property is sold.'

Aaaah .... 'title'.....so this bit does suggest that the title relating to the freehold has changed.

So I guess this means that if I looked at the freehold on the LR website it would still say 'Morgoed Estates'? From what I can gather there is a £50 fee for updating register. So......not sure if I wil do as the letter says (nothing) or take this a step further.

Am going to bank tomorrow and if there is no fee I will store the release deed with my house deeds and if there is then I'm off to B&Q to buy a firebox ;)
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Did you not get legal advice on this transaction at all?? I am struggling to believe you have purchased the freehold for forty quid without any legal involvement if so.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • No I didn't. Feel a bit sick now.

But in all honesty when I got the letter I just thought well it's all there in writing - pay £40 now and not bother with annual rent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure