PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May we discuss Quilting?

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    :j Yay!!! Catznine!!! :j :T :T That's wicked!!! Fat quarters (FQ's) can be expensive full price!

Hmmm, back to your original question about stash building ... :think: ....

.. when I took part in an online quilt challenge, I simply bought some duvet covers from the local charity shop for £1 and cut them down into 4" squares to make a 9-patch design quilt. I didn't want to "invest" in fabrics if I wasn't going to enjoy the hobby (and when my mother taught me many years ago, it wasn't quite as "anal" as some of the now-a-days quilters make it out to be :rolleyes: )!

As the 9-patch design quilt took shape, I made my teapot wall hanging from other bits and bobs of material which I'd inherited when my mother died, or odds n sods I had left over from when I did craft fairs as a hobby.

Over the past few years I have either ... used dh's work shirts/ old sheets, duvets/ old clothing ... that is the traditional (OS) way ;) Equally, when I visited a relation in NYC I blitzed a back street fabric shop of their cotton fabrics (1 yd of this, 1yd of that) and built my basic stash that way.

I don't often buy FQ's unless I stumble across a wicked bargain such as you had today ;):D :j But, I have taken part in a FQ swap, which gave me some adoreable FQ's from abroad (but ... :shhh: ... I'm too scared to use them because they are so precious :o ) :rotfl:

Cheap sources of smaller bits of fabrics ... if you have a clothing factory near you, ask if you can have their "wastage" .. I did this *once* and yeilded 2 black bag fulls! :eek: ... some pieces were big enough to quilt with, other scraps go into the "rag rug" bag. Failing that, if you have a market stall selling their own range of clothing, ask them.

Cheap sources of large pieces of fabrics: market stalls often sell fabric at great bargain prices - once I picked up yards of fabric @ £1 per metre as a job lot simply because it had "water damage" ... when I got it home, the damaged parts beyond repair were put into the rag rug bag and the bulk of the material went into making a co-ordinated bedroom set inclu. curtains!

Remnants: Keep your eyes open for remnants in shops which sell fabrics. I'm still in the process of making a "Coffee, Cream and Fudge" creation purely out of remnants!

Charity Shops/Boot Fairs: Keep your eyes peeled!!! I've come across a whole sewing workbox FULL of buttons/zips/cotton threads - all for £1! ;) Also, old sheets, pillowcases, clothing, curtains, curtain linings even someone elses fabric stash - can be discovered and used to build up a 'stash'

WARNING: Stash building is an addiction in it's own right! Storage of aforementioned stash could prove an absolutely nightmare ;) LOL

At the end of the day - my advice to anyone who wants to have a go is this: Use up old clothes/linens/charity shop finds - that way, any mistakes haven't cost the earth and you get a feel for whether it's something you *want* to invest in. Make all your beginners mistakes on low cost items and take it from there.
    If it's something you enjoy, want to do more of, then ... like any other hobby, there is a plethora of tools, "must-haves", expensive fabrics, templates, blah blah blah that could merrily eat away at your hard earned ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Apprentice - re question you asked many posts ago...!

Different thicknesses/weaves don't matter in crazy patchwork. Basically, you get a square of calico (or thick sheeting, but calico is pretty cheap) the size you want your cushion to be. Then, starting in one corner, tack the bits of embroiderered teacloths etc to it. Tack the first one down, then take the next one, fold under one edge and tack it over the edge of the first one. All the edges will eventually be hidden under decorative stitches or ribbon embroidery, and because it's all sewn to a backing material, that keeps it stable. HTH
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    If you have a cat you can guarantee that as soon as you get your quilt spread out on the floor ready to tack together he'll come and sit in the middle of it!
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Uh Oh! I have 2 cats :rolleyes:
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    And there was me thinking you had NINE :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • catznine
    I've been Money Tipped!
    squeaky wrote:
    And there was me thinking you had NINE :)

Now what gives you that idea? :rotfl:
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

• catznine
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Can anyone tell me what kind of wadding I need (2oz or 4oz) for a wall hanging and a lap quilt? I have managed to price 2oz wadding at £1.20 a mt and 4oz at £2.15 a mt from Croft Mills in Lancs. They don't sell online so I have phoned for a brochure. They also do craft fabric packs for £3.00 and accessory packs for £1.00 so I am going to spend some of my PMS money soon :D I have also managed to buy second hand from Amazon Debbie Mumms Quick Country Quilts for Every Room, I can't wait for this to turn up and am hoping to find something special to make with my bargain fat quarters. A wall hanging for my new utility/breakfast room would be great.

Anyway until then I'm going to organise a "memory" lap quilt using up all the scraps from my daughters old dresses from when she was smaller. I think I will do the 9 patch design, my sister makes these up alternating 9 x 4" squares with 1 large 12" square and that takes care of all the little bits as well as the more generous scraps.

Sorry to waffle on but I'm quite keen to get going and to organise myself.
    Spendy good luck with your animal quilt it is going to be interesting to hear how we all get on. Also Apprentice Tycoon I found an old book by Julia Foster (the actress Mum of Ben Fogle from Castaway 2000) and in the book is an idea for a patchwork of old lace hankies put together to make a tablecloth and it looked great!

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    catznine wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what kind of wadding I need (2oz or 4oz) for a wall hanging and a lap quilt? I have managed to price 2oz wadding at £1.20 a mt and 4oz at £2.15 a mt from Croft Mills in Lancs. They don't sell online so I have phoned for a brochure.

You are going to LURVE their brochure .. it's pure entertainment! Whoever writes the descriptions has a typical northern humour which had me :rotfl: Don't expect a "glossy" brochure though ;)

I prefer 4oz for wall hangings. Proper quilting batting is much more expensive, but as I'm not making heirloom quilts, I've bought wadding for lap quilts and so far they've stood up to a good few washes.

They also do craft fabric packs for £3.00 and accessory packs for £1.00 so I am going to spend some of my PMS money soon :D I have also managed to buy second hand from Amazon Debbie Mumms Quick Country Quilts for Every Room, I can't wait for this to turn up and am hoping to find something special to make with my bargain fat quarters. A wall hanging for my new utility/breakfast room would be great.

That was the first quilting book I ever bought (I've made several of the projects in there .. including my TeaPot wall hanging plus Topiary Cushions. The book is broken down into themed room projects and a number of them are called "weekender's" because they are do-able in a weekend :D

Anyway until then I'm going to organise a "memory" lap quilt using up all the scraps from my daughters old dresses from when she was smaller. I think I will do the 9 patch design, my sister makes these up alternating 9 x 4" squares with 1 large 12" square and that takes care of all the little bits as well as the more generous scraps.

Sorry to waffle on but I'm quite keen to get going and to organise myself.
    Spendy good luck with your animal quilt it is going to be interesting to hear how we all get on. Also Apprentice Tycoon I found an old book by Julia Foster (the actress Mum of Ben Fogle from Castaway 2000) and in the book is an idea for a patchwork of old lace hankies put together to make a tablecloth and it looked great!

Have fun making your "memory" quilt ... on my "To Do" list is a memory quilt, but I want to do mine like a friendship quilt and have b&w photo's of my ancestors incorporated into the design (I'll print those off the computer for transfers).

:T catznine - you've just inspired me to go through my family history box and make a start on putting the photo's together; then sort through the button box! :j Bless ya! :D:D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • bluemoon_3
    bluemoon_3 Posts: 297 Forumite
    I'm quite a new quilter, and I found this site useful:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/

There are lots of block patterns and very clear instructions. :)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do you all do your quilts with sewing machines?? The reason I ask is because I would really love to make a quilt to match a huge framed picture I have - http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/pd--10072726/Chat_Noir.htm

Clearly - as I have never quilted before - that will be a little difficult!! Anyhoo - I want to do a practice quilt for a single bed, not anything technical, but just something using old bits of fabric that are lying about - but I dont have a sewing machine yet! Does anyone do thiers by hand? Or should I wait to buy a sewing machine????

Also - how long does it take you to do your quilts? Im not expecting to complete one in a weekend, however, I would like to do one this year, even if it is a little lopsided and strange! Id quite enjoy it really, I took up knitting earlier this year and love it - but still want to learn crochet too, but didnt have time due to exams. How wonderful it is to be a normal person again!

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family