Should he go bankrupt ?

Hi

So my fianc! and I are thinking that he may need to go bankrupt in order for us to free up cash just to live

So, he's got about £30k of debt through loans and credit cards and he currently hasn't got enough money each week to pay out for each credit card and other things like our car etc

We are getting married in August. We've asked ppl to give us money as a gift but if he went bankrupt would we then lose this money?

We have two children aged 10 months and 6 years. If he went bankrupt would we lose the car? We don't use the car for work

My main concerns are our family car and money received from wedding

Could we just sign car over to my name?

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    From the limited info you have provided no one on here will be able to provide you with any advice.

Do you have a mortgage? What are the debts and the monthly payment amounts? How much money does he have after paying living expenses to service the debts each month?

For any real advice you'll need to post an SOA (https://www.stoozing.com have a template).

First step though would be to contact Stepchange and discuss the situation with them for some real advice.
  • young321
    young321 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks AndyBSG - I shall get the details for Stepchange and ask my fiance to call them to discuss.
  • youngbuck2
    youngbuck2 Posts: 134 Forumite
    In terms of the money/car question:

-Yes, if he goes bankrupt and receives a lump sum/cash gift whilst undischarged (in the first year of bankruptcy), it is likely the Official Receiver (OR) will want the money handed over.

-Does the car belong to your other half? If the car is a reasonable value and not an extravagant purchase and needed for work/travel, then the OR will most likely allow him to keep it. If he has a £50,000 Porsche then it's a different story, but a regular family car should be fine.
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    You have to prove a need for a car for expenses to be included in your s.o.a, and a car valued up to £1000
  • owlet
    owlet Posts: 1,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    youngbuck2 wrote: »
    In terms of the money/car question:

-Does the car belong to your other half? If the car is a reasonable value and not an extravagant purchase and needed for work/travel, then the OR will most likely allow him to keep it. If he has a £50,000 Porsche then it's a different story, but a regular family car should be fine.

It's not quite as easy as reasonable value. Most ORs will allow a car up to the value of £1000 . Some will stick to this limit & won't budge, others are slightly more flexible.
    It also depends on whether you really need car eg. for work if you are not able to use public transport.

You can't just put the car in someone else's name - the registered keeper doesn't prove ownership. That person needs to have actually paid for it. The OR will look closely if they think you are trying to work round the system & can reverse any transactions of this nature.
    SPC 8 (2015) #485 TOTAL: £334.65
    SPC 9 (2016) #485 TOTAL £84
    SPC 10 (2017) # 485 TOTAL: £464.80
    SPC 11 (2018) #485
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Depending on the gifts you might get, it might be possible to propose a lump sum IVA, this needs to be done carefully though(if it becomes your money, the creditors will want monthly and lump sum)
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 May 2015 at 10:46AM
    Given the very limited amount of information you have given its hard to help in any detail but:

Firstly he needs to get as much free debt advice as possible from the debt charities
    You must avoid any financial links so his debt doesn't affect your credit rating - so no joint bank accounts or loans. If your fianc! goes BR and includes any joint loans you will become responsible for the full amount.
    Any joint wedding gifts may well be considered an asset and it is very possible you would lose 50% of them - unless he uses it to pay the £700 odd pounds needed to pay for the BR petition?
    Even a fugal wedding can be expensive - how are you paying for it?
    Who does the car belong to? i.e. Whose name was on the bill of sale? If the car is his, then if it's not being used for work why do you need it? Also - if the car is on any kind of HP or hire/lease agreement in his name then the agreement would be cancelled by the car company anyway - they would expect the car to be returned.
    If you own the car outright then you would only be able to keep it if it was worth less than £1000. A car worth more than that is likely to be sold and £1000 returned to him to purchase a cheaper car - assuming he can evidence a need (rather than want) for a car.
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    If BR is to be considered a way forward, get your fiance to open one or two Co-op Cashminder accounts now.....[these are basic bank accounts...which will be all that will be acceptable during BR and afterwards........do not mention BR to Co-op, however, Co-op will allow the accounts to remain active during BR, [whilst Undischarged]and will allow internet access.]

This is an important part of preparation for dealing with the debt situation, regardless of how that is done.

[Basic bank accounts like Cashminder, have all the facilities of a regular account, apart from cheque books, and overdraft facilities]

Do this now, so that all your fiance's day-to-day banking is taken away from existing accounts.

This is standard advice at the outset, from all debt remedy charities, etc.

There is nothing to prevent you having a car during your partner's Bankrutpcy...because bankruptcy is a purely personal event.

But a car must be yours, and provably so. As mentioned above, the person listed on the V5c is only the registered keeper, not necessarily the owner, of the vehicle.

If the current car cannot be proven not to belong to your partner, then.....if your partner cannot demonstrate a need, [as mentioned above] it will be taken as an asset for the bankruptcy estate.

Therefore, if you particularly want a car, then go out and obtain one yourself, with only you paying for it.

Forget the wedding for now.....at the moment it is an unnecessary expense, in view of the circumstances.
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • I've posted below my now husbands SOA please can you advise on the amounts on this? I've also put where I pay for things

Household Information[/b]
    Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 2
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 767
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 972 do I need to put my income?
    Benefits................................ 0 I get benefits
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 1739

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 537
    Secured/HP loan repayments 0
    Rent.................................... 0 I pay the rent at £505
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 0 I pay CT at £83
    Electricity............................. 0 I pay electricity at £40
    Gas..................................... 0 I pay gas at £40
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 0 I pay water at £46
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 40
    TV Licence.............................. 0 I pay tv licence at £12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 40
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 260 I also pay £80 a month
    Clothing................................ 20
    Petrol/diesel........................... 20
    Road tax................................ 2
    Car Insurance........................... 45
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 5
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0 I pay childcare costs
    Other child related expenses............ 50
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 20
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 13
    Contents insurance...................... 0 I pay this at £21
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 10
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 20
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Entertainment........................... 0
    Holiday................................. 30
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1112

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 5000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 5000

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 137100...(537)......0 house currently rented out though
    Total secured & HP debts...... 137100....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Credit card....................10000.....10........0
    Credit card....................6000......5.........0
    Credit card....................12000.....10........0
    Overdraft......................1200......15........0
    Store card.....................395.......0.........0
    Personal loan..................11100.....225.......0
    Car loan.......................12067.....10........0
    Total unsecured debts..........52762.....275.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,739
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,112
    Available for debt repayments........... 627
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 275
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 352

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 5,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -137,100
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -52,762
    Net Assets.............................. -184,862
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You need to do the SoA so you include all household bills ie: mortgage/rent, utilities, CT, groceries etc.and then his personal expenditure ie: mobile phone, car and associated expenses etc.

You put his income down and the amount you contribute to the joint household expenses.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills