Bankruptcy Restriction Undertaking (BRU)

Options
I have recently gone BR and have my interview with the OR next Tuesday. I spoke to them today breifly and they are particularly interested in discussing my gambling problem with me, understandably.

I have gambled over £45,000 over the past few years (my debts before BR were around £31,000 + a mortgage). Whilst I didn't take credit to gamble, my gambling got in the way of me paying my debts.

Having done a bit of research, I realise that I will most likely be asked to agree to a Bankruptcy Restriction Undertaking (BRU) due to the recklessness of my behaviour.

I know this extends the conditions of my BR for a longer period (not borrowing more than £500, not being a company director etc) but I have a few more questions:

1. Will I still be discharged in 12 months time as usual or will my 'discharge' by delayed by the BRU?

2. Will this BRU show on my credit file alongside my bankruptcy and will it further damage my credit rating in future on top of the bankruptcy?

3. If my discharge is delayed due to a BRU, can I still be given an IPA (currently I don't pay one and don't expect to due to part-time working) because of the length of the BRU?

4. Any other information I should know about a BRU?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi youngbuck

youngbuck2 wrote: »

1. Will I still be discharged in 12 months time as usual or will my 'discharge' by delayed by the BRU?

The BRU doesn't affect your discharge date. This would only be delayed if you failed to cooperate in some way during the bankruptcy itself.

2. Will this BRU show on my credit file alongside my bankruptcy and will it further damage my credit rating in future on top of the bankruptcy?

BRUs are not recorded on your credit file - just the bankruptcy itself.

3. If my discharge is delayed due to a BRU, can I still be given an IPA (currently I don't pay one and don't expect to due to part-time working) because of the length of the BRU?

See answer #1.

You may find it useful to look at a few examples of recent BRUs from the register. Obviously these won't compare perfectly with your own circumstances but they may give you a general idea of what to expect:

https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/IESdatabase/viewbrobrusummary-new.asp

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I do wonder though, being public information, whether some lenders would check this ?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mwarby wrote: »
    I do wonder though, being public information, whether some lenders would check this ?

Fair point mwarby and there's nothing to stop them doing so, I guess. In practice, though, the bankruptcy in itself will be the make or break issue in any subsequent credit application.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Dennis,

My understanding was that whilst the BRU/BRO was active it would appear on credit files - as the IS want 'misconduct' (either 'accepted' via a BRU or judged in court) to be highlighted to future lenders.

See: http://www.experian.co.uk/assets/consumer/downloads/resources/bankruptcy-oct11.pdf

" A Bankruptcy Restrictions Order can last for up to 15 years and stays on your credit report (and an online register) for this time."

This article appeared to be written in Oct 2011 - I believe it was more hit and miss back then (some people had them included at some CRAs, some didn't) but IS have since ensured it is the case on all bankruptcies.

Any practical experiences? I'm potentially facing a BRO for similar reasons to the OP
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Options
    I have recently gone BR and have my interview with the OR next Tuesday. I spoke to them today breifly and they are particularly interested in discussing my gambling problem with me, understandably.

You do realise one of the reasons they want to discuss your gambling is to determine that you did actually lose the £45,000 gambling and didn't metaphorically or literally put the cash under your mattress?

I know it is hard to believe but some unscrupulous individuals do lie to the OR and say they gambled money away in order to avoid paying creditors.

So in interview you are likely to be asked in detail about your gambling habit including whether it was online or at bookies, what you bet on and how often. Also be ready to provide details of any online betting accounts so enquiries can be made to verify your losses.
  • youngbuck2
    youngbuck2 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Dennis,

My understanding was that whilst the BRU/BRO was active it would appear on credit files - as the IS want 'misconduct' (either 'accepted' via a BRU or judged in court) to be highlighted to future lenders.

See: http://www.experian.co.uk/assets/consumer/downloads/resources/bankruptcy-oct11.pdf

" A Bankruptcy Restrictions Order can last for up to 15 years and stays on your credit report (and an online register) for this time."

This article appeared to be written in Oct 2011 - I believe it was more hit and miss back then (some people had them included at some CRAs, some didn't) but IS have since ensured it is the case on all bankruptcies.

Any practical experiences? I'm potentially facing a BRO for similar reasons to the OP

I'm sure within a few weeks (or perhaps after Tuesday) the OR will inform me whether they are looking at a BRU. If so, I'll ask about it being mentioned on a credit report.

In my opinion, and from what I have read, the BRU only increases the initial bankruptcy restrictions, mainly not becoming a company director or working in insolvency - I think it would be unreasonable to place a restriction on someone for 15 years that they are unable to buy their own house, 14 years after they were discharged, but who knows that may be the case.
  • youngbuck2
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    You do realise one of the reasons they want to discuss your gambling is to determine that you did actually lose the £45,000 gambling and didn't metaphorically or literally put the cash under your mattress?

I know it is hard to believe but some unscrupulous individuals do lie to the OR and say they gambled money away in order to avoid paying creditors.

So in interview you are likely to be asked in detail about your gambling habit including whether it was online or at bookies, what you bet on and how often. Also be ready to provide details of any online betting accounts so enquiries can be made to verify your losses.

That's no problem, I have various self-banned online betting accounts which show the majority of the losses, the others were cash bets in highstreet stores but a good £30k will be shown online.
  • youngbuck2
    Options

You may find it useful to look at a few examples of recent BRUs from the register. Obviously these won't compare perfectly with your own circumstances but they may give you a general idea of what to expect:

https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov...ummary-new.asp

Just had a read through of those previous BRU/BROs. Yes, it is likely I will be given one but it is positive to see the length of the BRUs aren't 15 years, but normally 4-6 years. The longer terms are given for fraud (like benefits fraud, tax fraud etc) but the gambling BRUs are a bit more lenient (4-6 years). Also the ones I read state the gambling increased the debt, whereas my gambling did not increase my debt at all, it just got in the way of me paying my creditors.

I'm remaining quietly positive it will only be a short(ish) BRU of 4/5/6 years.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 31 May 2015 at 6:07PM
    Options
    I'm sure within a few weeks (or perhaps after Tuesday) the OR will inform me whether they are looking at a BRU. If so, I'll ask about it being mentioned on a credit report.

In my opinion, and from what I have read, the BRU only increases the initial bankruptcy restrictions, mainly not becoming a company director or working in insolvency - I think it would be unreasonable to place a restriction on someone for 15 years that they are unable to buy their own house, 14 years after they were discharged, but who knows that may be the case.
    A lot of BRUs aren't decided until later on in the bankruptcy - they almost certainly will consider it - they have no choice if you've mentioned gambling. However don't expect to hear anything concrete in relation to a BRU/BRO until at least 6 months in.

I was told that it's a possibility by the OR (which I expected) and asked if I want to add any notes to my file for them to consider when deciding on any BRU.

I still haven't heard anything, but if they want to give me one I'm expecting it will be after the 9th month. There is no point awarding someone a BRO/BRU in the first few months of bankruptcy - as it expires X months from issue - therefore it would effectively be overlapping with your standard bankruptcy restrictions.

Also the OR needs to provide evidence to the court if it goes that far (in that you reject the BRU) - they can't do this until they have investigated your case. In your BRU letter you will be given some idea as to exactly why they want to give you a BRU and what term they think. You can effectively try to negotiate this with the OR if you think it is too harsh.

Obviously the ultimate negotiation is taking it to court as a BRO, but unless you genuinely feel the OR has been unreasonable (i.e. you're being a much harsher term than others in similar situations) you'll be smacked with at least a few extra years if the court award it.

In your situation I'd be fairly confident you'll get less than 5 years based on what you've told us, but you really can't worry about it, especially not this early.

I dread every letter that comes through now as my discharge edges closer. The sooner discharge comes the better, as it has to be pretty exceptional for the court to allow applications after 1 year (since the IS have had a year to make their minds up) - that will finally provide some closure (or closure if one is awarded, I suppose :rotfl: )

As for being 'unreasonable' RE: 15 years. I'd imagine all rulings over say 12 years will go to court - ultimately the bankrupt has very little to lose by arguing it (what's an extra 3 years as a BRO if you're going to sign for 12 anyway). As you say, there'd have to be some serious fraud for anywhere near 15 years - in which case, it is entirely reasonable that someone has credit problems for the best part of an extra 15 years.

Given that you'd struggle to buy a house for the first 2 years after discharge anyway (and for the first 3 or 4 will need a hefty deposit) due to the BR marker on your report, any BRO of less than 5 years effectively doesn't put you in much worse a position (unless you want to be a director etc, and even then you can apply to the court (just as you can if you want to before discharge)).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure