PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread

Comments

• Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This is a great idea for a thread, I have millions of these types of things taking up valuable real estate in my cupboards and freezer.

If anyone has any veggie recipes to use up apple sauce I would be grateful.

For things in my cupboard which I know I will either never use or have no desire to eat ample quantities of I list them on OLIO. OLIO is a smart phone app that aims to reduce food waste. You upload a picture of the item you no longer want, a brief description (e.g. BB date, amount, dietary suitability) and then people may get in contact with you and ask if they can collect it.

Although I am a big fan of OLIO and have never had any problems on it I would say it does have a lot about it that isn't perfect. It hasn't really taken off, so you may find there is no one in your local area who uses it (particularly if you live out of the way), it would involve people collecting items from your house which you may not be comfortable with and the obvious factor is it excludes everyone who doesn't have a smart phone, but I thought I would mention it as I hate food waste and my needless products have been another person's treasure.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    APPLE SAUCE -
    cake http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/17826/apple-sauce-cake.aspx

or use it spread over pastry but under sliced apples in a tart

mixed in with rice pudding

mixed into mashed parsnips - luvverly :)
  • Apple sauce - or make veggie nut roast (lots of recipes on the internet) adding sage and then service it as an accompaniament.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Apple sauce- I actually buy it to mix into yogurt with a handful of raisins (and chopped nuts as the occasional treat) Lovely :)
    You can also sprinkle some cinnamon on top and I tell myself that it's quite healthy....
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,089
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have a huge packet of egg noodles just hanging around the back of the cupboard was going to do a sir fry but no one 'likes' it apparently and a bag of green lentils. Any ideas greatfully received if I can throw the idea in my slow cooker you're my hero/heroine.

I crushed my unwanted noodles and added them to chicken noodle soup.
    You could even throw your lentils into it! :)
  • Spendless wrote: »
    Probably not as obscure as some things on here, but I have a jar of Genovese Basil Pesto that we got in a gift food hamper some time ago. I think the BB is summer 2015:o Since then we have had one of our household become vegetarian, so I'm sure it can be used up, I just don't know what to do with it.

Can you make your own bread?

If so make a batch of bread dough and knock it back after the first rising. Roll into a square (or as square as you can).

Spread the pesto onto the dough and then roll the dough up into a Swiss Roll shape.

Cut the roll into segments and then place them swirl side up into a round cake tin. You might have to squash them in to fit. Top with a little cheese.

After the second rise cook the bread.

You then have a great tear-and-share bread.
  • Florence_J
    Forumite
    Chris25 wrote: »
    APPLE SAUCE -
    cake http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/17826/apple-sauce-cake.aspx

or use it spread over pastry but under sliced apples in a tart

mixed in with rice pudding

mixed into mashed parsnips - luvverly :)
    Apple sauce - or make veggie nut roast (lots of recipes on the internet) adding sage and then service it as an accompaniament.
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    Apple sauce- I actually buy it to mix into yogurt with a handful of raisins (and chopped nuts as the occasional treat) Lovely :)
    You can also sprinkle some cinnamon on top and I tell myself that it's quite healthy....

Thank you everyone.

I think that was the boot up the bum I needed as today I made the cake I originally bought the applesauce for which was a triple apple cake, so it also used up most of the dried apple rings I bought for the same reason, plus a slightly iffy apple, plus some soon to expire greek yoghurt, plus a good chunk of oats that had been untouched since last summer, so all in all the cake combated a lot of food stuffs that were just sitting around.

It made a small but noticeable difference to the cupboard as well. :)
  • Fonque
    Fonque Posts: 50
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I hope you don't mind but I have a couple of reccomendations to help minimise food waste.

Broccoli stalks are edible. After I've taken off the florets I very finely cut/julienne the stalks in slivers and after they are blanched I use them to bulk out dishes. Usually I use them when I cook Chinese but you can also cover them in cheese and bake them as well.

I love butternut squash and was not aware that you can eat the seeds, until a friend told me. After chopping the squash and de-seeding, you can season the seeds (salt and pepper or like I did use a flavoured spice mix like fajita seasoning) put them on a baking tray and cook them until dry. It makes a lovely tasty snack whilst you're waiting for your squash to cook!

I believe you can also do similar with potato/veg peelings and roast those for a crisp like snack.
    Do not make any sudden moves.
  • Florence_J
    Forumite
    I got some great books for my birthday, which may help people with ideas of how to reduce waste. They are 'My Zero Waste Kitchen' and 'River Cottage Love Your Leftovers' which show you how to use pretty much everything, including vegetable peel soup which I have made and tasted fine :)

I know you MSE-ers probably would know all the stuff they recommend but if you are relatively new to things like me then they are good books.
  • Bumblebear
    Bumblebear Posts: 105
    Wedding Day Wonder Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi Florence

Sounds like you've sorted your apple sauce, but if it's just plain apples I use it for overnight oats. I've got a jar in the cupboard for that very purpose. My issue is remembering to combine the two the night before :think: I'm going to make that my Easter resolution for the weekend :)

Ideas for red wine vinegar anyone? It's out of date, but considering it's just out of date wine I have no issue with this! I am slowly using up my white wine vinegar and cider vinegar in sauces etc - I don't think I use any of them enough to warrant purchasing again.
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family