Diamond Resorts-is it a scam?

Options

Comments

• antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lesp wrote: »
    i have been a member of diamond resorts and previously sunterra and GVC for the past 9 years.

i purchased the pionts off my father in-law for a very low price as he could not afford the management fees after retirement.

diamond resorts management fees are NOT cheap, i have 24000 pionts and the fees are £1700 per year but each time we go on holiday we book 2 or 3 apartments and take family and friends with us.

all diamond resorts are high quality especially in america.

what i am trying to say is YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
    What a stupid thing to say................DID YOUR FATHER IN LAW GET WHAT HE PAID FOR?.................Was he told at the time the annual fees would be £1700 per year.......I Dont Think So..............
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • Cassy1
    Options
    Hi. Just back from holiday in Teneriffe and signed up to the Diamond Resorts sample membership. Paid a £300 deposit and have a balance of £1695 to pay. Since coming back have come accross this forum and having second thoughts. Anyone know if it is possible to get out of the sample membership and if so if we would lose our deposit?
  • lesp_3
    Options
    ANTENA,
    when my father in law bought into lsi his management fees would of only been a couple of hundred pounds a year, it was over 20 years ago when he signed up.
    how could anyone know what the fees would be in 20 years time.

the more points you have the more fees you pay,simple.
  • costapkt
    costapkt Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    lesp wrote: »
    ANTENA,
    when my father in law bought into lsi his management fees would of only been a couple of hundred pounds a year, it was over 20 years ago when he signed up.
    how could anyone know what the fees would be in 20 years time.

the more points you have the more fees you pay,simple.

Simple, you must have money to burn.:rotfl:
  • costapkt
    costapkt Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    bump this post up
  • Zazie
    Zazie Posts: 335 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone had any luck selling a fixed week at a DRI resort? Am I optimistic in thinking a fixed week would be easier to sell than points??
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is easier to sell your granny on Ebay
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • Jaseball
    Options
    We bought the sampler package when we checked out a DRI presentation in Lake Tahoe several months ago. The package was for $890 for 7 nights in one of their time shares. The only reason we went for that was because Maui Hawaii was a destination. The salesman this time told us Maui is no longer part of the sampler, but I can't see a $900 trip to Arizona, Las Vegas, Missouri, Virginia, etc., would be very tempting for anyone because the list of places for the sampler is horrible. Besides Hawaii, Florida was the next best option.

We got a suite with a side ocean view. 8% of the rooms were not refurbished yet, so we had CRT TV's and the chairs, tables, beds, desks, sofa-bed, etc., were old and dated, but things were clean and the mini kitchen with a decent sized fridge was nice to have.

While on vacation we rarely stay in the room. We had a few small breakfasts, had cold beer in the fridge and other drinks, but were only in the room to clean up and sleep for the most part.

Our forced timeshare sales event was set before we arrived and was in the morning. This forced us to change some of our activities timing/planning. We were also paired with a very smooth and experienced sales person. This guy was slick, but I think he knew I did a ton of research before arriving and he knew we would be a hard to near impossible sale, but his tactics and presentation were tweaked to take this into account.

First he said other timeshares in Maui started at $70K. Our special price was $29K. I told him this was the upfront cost and I was more concerned with the special assessments, monthly/yearly fees, and other costs. He dropped the upfront costs down to $19K and said this was an excellent, once in a lifetime offer. I told him getting locked into a timeshare I couldn't even sell at a loss wasn't really an offer I'd be upset in passing on.

He knew the more he talked and the more I countered the less we were inclined to buy anything. I flat out told him he had used up the 1.5 hours and was eating into our precious vacation time.

The last move was him going to check for 'foreclosed,' memberships and what do you know? There was one for $9K. I told the guy that even if there was no upfront costs and just yearly and special fees for the rest of my life I wouldn't lock myself into a worthless timeshare and would rather use Priceline to set up packages to wherever I wanted, whenever without being committed to a single company. He finally took the hint and we went about the rest of our vacation.

So, the sampler worked for us because we really had no intention of locking ourselves into signing up into a timeshare. We also told them up front they had 1.5 hours and then we were done with them, which is something we did not do in Tahoe and wasted 3 hours of our vacation time.

Diamond service and the people at the resort, on the telephone lines, and other staff are rude as well. I kept asking myself if I wasn't even locked in and they treated us this poorly I could only imagine what it would be like if we were locked in full members without any real options.

Timeshares are treated as 'property,' but only for the legality and the negative aspects. You have to pay taxes, upkeep, maintenance, upgrades, salaries, and other expenses and hope/pray you get the destination/day and accommodations.

They strongly try to make folks believe they 'own,' 'property,' but you are just far better off to plan your own vacations, especially with the internet.

With the timeshare you also only have one aspect of the trip covered - lodging. Airfare, car rental, food/drink, other transportation, vacation activities, and all these other costs are still up to you to handle or DRI will be happy to help plan things - for an additional cost.

You are far better off buying a vacation package where transportation/lodging/car is already included and discounted.

Still, we did enjoy our stay with DRI on the sampler because it was just like a booked vacation lodging without ongoing bills and costs. Our next vacation doesn't have to be on a DRI property, we don't have to use their booking system, and we no longer have any legal ties with this company.

It would be a different matter if we came back and were now 'timeshare owners,' aka suckers.
  • Stay away from this company will take every dollar from you even if your on state benefits believe me do not touch no matter how convincing their reps more like rips will be!!!!! Do not believe them nor their offers!!!!! They only like your bills not your holiday types
  • how_very_dare_you
    Options
    I WONDER HOW MR DIAMOND RESORTS OWNER FEELS WHEN I SEND THIS MSG,

."Those on the moral code of altruism have to view all businessmen as guilty, guilty by nature, since their life's work is to seek selfish gain. The current legislative frenzy is just the latest manifestation of the altruist premise: the attempt to cage "the beast" that is selfish greed."

by Harry Binswanger

.A greedy man will always find himself in the shackles of humility.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure