PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Comments

• SuboJvR wrote: »
    As a tenant...

(and I don't know why I'm replying again, as you've ignored my offerings completely thus far)

The 12 month is a fixed term. So, both you and the tenant have security that they will be there for 12 months.

It is quite normal at the end of this term to either:
    - Seek to extend the term, i.e. sign another fixed term contract
    or
    - let the tenancy become periodic. Month by month. The tenant must then provide a minimum of one month before vacating, and you must serve them 2 months' notice that you would like them to vacate. The tenant does not legally have to leave at this point, especially if they are paying rent. If they do not leave, you can then apply to evict. It is not a "forever contract" however the law does protect tenants to the extent that they are the ones living in the property, it is their home, and they cannot just be summarily booted out with little notice and then have nowhere else to go.
    or
    - tenant just moves out, on the last day of the term. They don't need to tell you if they wish to do this.

You should accept that for the time being, it is not your home. It is theirs, but it is your house.

And ultimately, it is in your interest to be nice to them, because happy tenants look after homes, and can be helpful when the time comes for you to want to find new tenants, or not helpful at all. ("Oh yes, the landlord was really nice about our dog actually, we increased the deposit and will make sure we get carpets cleaned but he was fine with it." versus "Landlord is horrible, I wouldn't bother renting this place if I were you, made our lives incredibly stressful, neighbours were spying on us and reporting back, not worth the hassle.")

I have read your messages and I agree that if this information is all correct I am not going to get anywhere with evicting them so I just have to tough it out and get my carpets (and furniture because the flat is fully furnished) all changed when they move out, IF they move out.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    I have read your messages and I agree that if this information is all correct I am not going to get anywhere with evicting them so I just have to tough it out and get my carpets (and furniture because the flat is fully furnished) all changed when they move out, IF they move out.
    Or if you evict them?
  • LuckyG
    LuckyG Posts: 226 Forumite
    I rent (for now), I also have a dog & 3 rats. There was nothing in our contract to state we couldn't have pets, but I did check with the letting agent at the time (a new one has taken it over now).

We pay the rent on time every month, and have done for the past 4 years, we keep the place clean and it doesn't smell of my animals. When we move out in the next month or so, I will make sure the place is left as I found it. Well, actually it's better now than when we moved in.

Anyway, my point is, if they have paid the rend in advance, they sound like decent tenants. Why cause so much hassle over a dog? If someone had been living on carpets for a year and then you moved back in, surely you'd want to replace them anyway.

The neighbour sounds like she has nothing better to do, I find it a bit weird that she's spying and reporting back to you all of the time. It's creepy to be honest and I'd feel on edge if I was the tenant.
  • Pixie5740 wrote: »
    It's not a joke and would make perfect sense when you read the information in the links that you've been given 3 times now.

I suggest you read all the information in the other links G_M also gave you before you try taking any action against the tenants.

Once you know your !!!! from your elbow write to the tenants giving them the required 24 hours notice and go and inspect the property.

!!!! my elbow, I can't instpect it because I am so far away! This is why what is going on there disturbs me so much!! This dog is easily 100 cm at the withers, I don't want it scratching the doors with its massive paws and getting its smells into the furniture, I have valuable upholstered chairs in there and a four poster bed with drapes!!!
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    !!!! my elbow, I can't instpect it because I am so far away! This is why what is going on there disturbs me so much!! This dog is easily 100 cm at the withers, I don't want it scratching the doors with its massive paws and getting its smells into the furniture, I have valuable upholstered chairs in there and a four poster bed with drapes!!!

Beginning to wonder if you're taking the mickey?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary

If you live so far away why did you not opt for the fully managed service? What address is given in the tenancy agreement for the serving of notices?

15% just to collect the rent is extortionate. The mind boggles as to why you agreed to this. Read the link G_M gave you back in post 41 about Letting Agents it explains how to choose one and how to sack one.
  • Guest101 wrote: »
    15% to collect the rent, good negotiation there!

Well what do agents normally charge, it can't be that bad, at least I know all my taxes are done automatically so I don't have to have to pay £££ to an accountant or file a tax return. I just wish they were more responsive
  • Guest101

1: no, no you don't.
    2: for anyone else who may be facing an actual real life scenario: Don't furnish your rented property with valuable furniture. You will only ever get back a percentage of it's value
  • LuckyG
    LuckyG Posts: 226 Forumite

Ask the letting agency to inspect it. ETA: I didn't realise you don't t have that option.

I'm sorry but 'getting it's smells into the furniture" :rotfl:

It might have been an idea to remove those valuable items before renting it out, children can cause damage to property too. Is there a clause to say no children allowed also?
  • Guest101
    Well what do agents normally charge, it can't be that bad, at least I know all my taxes are done automatically so I don't have to have to pay £££ to an accountant or file a tax return. I just wish they were more responsive

A full management service is typically 10-12%.

(I wouldn't bet on your taxes being up to date!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure