PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've never had tomato juice as a drink. I've been aware of it forever ... but never seen anybody drink any - and the idea grosses me out as I'd imagine it'd be like opening a tin of tomatoes and drinking the juice in that. Is that what it's like? If so, ewwwwwwwwwwww. :)
    I suppose it is but thicker, I do like it with some pepper and a dash of Lea & Perrins or as is our family tradition as "Bloody Mary" on Christmas Eve, for a number of years Christmas starts for us at 6pm on Christmas Eve with a jug of Bloody Marys followed by steak and baked potatoes:D. It is very "savoury" though which I prefer to sweet. The current carton is a LO from Christmas which I found hiding in a cupboard along with a carton of orange juice and one of cranberry so I'll work my way through them.
    Farway wrote: »
    PN Tomato juice is like the stuff out of tinned toms, depending on quality of course. I do not buy it as such but do use the thick juice from the tins. It goes well, cold from 'fridge, with Worcester sauce

Airfyers, I have one and love it but probably will not replace when it breaks. May not suit you given your "things" about fire / electricity etc. Not to be left unattended, which is same as deep fat fryer or any pan on the hob of course

Hot wilting here, had to pop out this morning on emergency buy in. Grandchildren were coming over for Father's day, and I wanted to get some biscuits etc in. I never have then in the house, 'cos greedy guts scoffs them once opened :o

Nil breakfast as per normal
    Lunch was last of the bake yourself baguette & bangers, in sort of jumbo hot dog, but far nicer

Dinner was going to be a baked spud / cheese filling with salad. But it is melting and just too hot to have an oven on. I could nuke the spud but it is just not the same taste / texture to me, thus it will be cheese salady sarnies, with maybe toast & ginger marmalade later if peckish

Only garden effort was a bit of watering and looking at the ripening cherries, I can actually smell them now when near the tree, must be ready to chomp any day now
    Oh fresh cherries lucky you :), one my favourite fruits but they are so expensive in the SM that they are a rare treat:(

I've ended up taking a piece of steak out for tonight which I'll have with steamed charlottes, green beans and a mushroom/red wine sauce :). It's been lovely and sunny here this afternoon and got quite hot (though only about 19C in the sun) for a bit but is cooling now. My Dad gave some marigolds from his garden to replace my ones that got munched so now that bit of the garen's not in full sun I'll get them planted and make sure they are well sprinkled with slug killer;).
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 June 2017 at 5:20PM
    It was too hot to contemplate leaving the house - as I had no masterplan.

Lunch was the other half of the pizza I bought yesterday, it was as tasty as yesterday :)

I'm glad I bought the choc ices yesterday, four eaten since they entered the house.

I've also eaten a jam sandwich (didn't want to eat the sandwiches I'd made in case I went out ....in case I went out). Then I realised I wasn't going out, so ate the cheese/pickle sandwich (least interesting one).

Still three rounds of sandwiches made up ...

Yesterday I randomly boiled 3 eggs and mixed with salad cream and then potted up in case I fancied an egg/salad cream sandwich, but I haven't done, so that needs using up in the next day or so. I boiled the eggs intending to keep them in the fridge in their shells ... but in the event I half boiled them and forgot I'd done that, so an hour or so later I did them a bit more, hoping it'd be OK... so then I had to break them open to check/smell that half cooking them and leaving them an hour and then finishing cooking them hadn't done something nasty ...so then I had to mash them up really.

Loving this 45p loaf compared to the 36p loaf ... I might convert, I can afford an extra 9p a fortnight :)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    caronc wrote: »
    I suppose it is but thicker, I do like it with some pepper and a dash of Lea & Perrins or as is our family tradition as "Bloody Mary" on Christmas Eve, for a number of years Christmas starts for us at 6pm on Christmas Eve with a jug of Bloody Marys followed by steak and baked potatoes:D. It is very "savoury" though which I prefer to sweet. The current carton is a LO from Christmas which I found hiding in a cupboard along with a carton of orange juice and one of cranberry so I'll work my way through them.

Oh fresh cherries lucky you :), one my favourite fruits but they are so expensive in the SM that they are a rare treat:(

I've ended up taking a piece of steak out for tonight which I'll have with steamed charlottes, green beans and a mushroom/red wine sauce :). It's been lovely and sunny here this afternoon and got quite hot (though only about 19C in the sun) for a bit but is cooling now. My Dad gave some marigolds from his garden to replace my ones that got munched so now that bit of the garen's not in full sun I'll get them planted and make sure they are well sprinkled with slug killer;).

Iceland have 250g Cherries as their 7 day deal £1 really big and juicy. Think deals on til Tuesday.
    Slimming World at target
  • caronc
    Loving this 45p loaf compared to the 36p loaf ... I might convert, I can afford an extra 9p a fortnight :)
    Sometimes that little bit extra is so worth it....:)
    meg72 wrote: »
    Iceland have 250g Cherries as their 7 day deal £1 really big and juicy. Think deals on til Tuesday.
    Thanks just wish I had a way of getting to one :( still hopefully that will mean the other SMs will soon follow suit :)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've never had tomato juice as a drink. I've been aware of it forever ... but never seen anybody drink any - and the idea grosses me out as I'd imagine it'd be like opening a tin of tomatoes and drinking the juice in that. Is that what it's like? If so, ewwwwwwwwwwww. :)

I only drink it with vodka, a squeeze of lemon, a glug of Lee & Perrins, a splash of Tabasco and a grind of black pepper :D

Can't beat a well made Bloody Mary :cool:

ETA just as good without the vodka if alcohol isn't your thing :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    karcher wrote: »
    I only drink it with vodka, a squeeze of lemon, a glug of Lee & Perrins, a splash of Tabasco and a grind of black pepper :D

Can't beat a well made Bloody Mary :cool:

ETA just as good without the vodka if alcohol isn't your thing :)
    With you on this one though lots of ice in the ones I make - a pinch of celery salt is a nice addition...... I'm not a cocktail fan but a good Bloody Mary, a G&T (Hendricks or Bombay Sapphire please) or a "dirty" martini and I can be persuaded otherwise :D;)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    With you on this one though lots of ice in the ones I make - a pinch of celery salt is a nice addition...... I'm not a cocktail fan but a good Bloody Mary, a G&T (Hendricks or Bombay Sapphire please) or a "dirty" martini and I can be persuaded otherwise :D;)

Oh yes a cube of ice: maximum two though, as you don't want to dilute the flavour ;)

Ideally the Vodka will have been in the freezer and the tomato juice in the fridge...so cold enough already methinks :cool:

Agree with the Bombay Sapphire G&T, poured over a slice and some ice :)

(Not that I'm an expert or indulge in such things often..... mores the pity! :p)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    karcher wrote: »
    Oh yes a cube of ice: maximum two though, as you don't want to dilute the flavour ;)

Ideally the Vodka will have been in the freezer and the tomato juice in the fridge...so cold enough already methinks :cool:

Agree with the Bombay Sapphire G&T, poured over a slice and some ice :)

(Not that I'm an expert or indulge in such things often..... mores the pity! :p)
    TBH me neither but do enjoy when I do. :D G&T - ice and slice is hard to beat but a couple of slices of cucumber works well too. I freeze lemon and lime slices as I find it hard to use them up and they work well in drinks:cool:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I don't bother drinking. I've never had a cocktail and haven't tried many drinks. If I popped round and you asked "would you like a G&T?" I'd say yes - although I've not had one for about 40 years .. because, while it's a nice enough drink, I'd only fancy/want one a year so there's no point buying a whole bottle.

I am also the only driver, ever .... so I need to remain sober in case I want/need to drive anywhere. Therefore, I don't bother drinking booze.

Even Xmas Day I had Schloer apple juice because there's no way I could drink a whole bottle of anything, even if it was Xmas!
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning all,

My cousin and his wife are going to London today to stay with friends so today will be my last day of not cooking for a while. I am meeting my cousin for lunch before they go, so that will be my main meal for the day :) I will have a cheese and salad sandwich if I want anything else to eat later.

I need to get myself some breakfast, and I am just going to have a Greek yoghurt and some berries because it is easy.

I haven't eaten at home at all since they arrived and now have a lot of salad bits and some veg that needs eating up :( - story of my life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure