First post

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Smed wrote: »
    Tripe is what I get for attempting to discuss something with someone who doesn't know the first thing about the subject.
    You're right. I don't know the first thing about tripe. You, on the other hand, seem obsessed by it.
  • racey
    racey Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    masonic wrote: »
    You're right. I don't know the first thing about tripe. You, on the other hand, seem obsessed by it.
    Apparently it's often eaten with onions. Some people seem to like it.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Along similar lines, maybe I should stop paying £1.87p for my coffee and go to Waitrose, buy a plastic bag for 5p and get my coffee for free. The only problem is that Waitrose coffee is awful. There's a moral in there but I don't expect you'll be able to see it.
    You're right, us 'bankers' don't have morals so we won't be able to see them in a tall tale about how cheap and great your coffee is and how terrible it would be to take the offered cup of the stuff for free while you are leaving a grocery store having bought an item there.

Why are people still conversing with this troll? I don't suppose I am helping much by doing the same, but I'm above judgement because I'm such an excellent person (both in real life and online).
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bowlhead99 wrote: »

Why are people still conversing with this troll?.

Misunderstood genius.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Along similar lines, maybe I should stop paying £1.87p for my coffee and go to Waitrose, buy a plastic bag for 5p and get my coffee for free. The only problem is that Waitrose coffee is awful. There's a moral in there but I don't expect you'll be able to see it.
    If you're clumsily trying to make the point that cheaper isn't necessarily better then I'm sure that's something we can all agree on, but what incremental benefit do you feel you get from the extra cost of Moneybox over the competition? Or if it's a different point you're trying to hint at then please feel free to go ahead and educate us, preferably without repetitive references to tripe.
    btw do you have "banker" in your username because it lends authority to your posts and do people actually think you're really a banker? LOL
    Perhaps the news hasn't reached darkest rural Lincolnshire yet but there was a bit of a financial crisis a few years ago, which finally put to bed any notion that bankers were regarded as figures of authority, and ever since then the word has had pantomime villain connotations, especially in the slavering world of the Daily Fail and the like, so it's not something that many aspire to.

Apodemus wins the gold star for comprehension....
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hello everyone. Been lurking for a while and signed up recently to interact on the forum rather than just reading. I'd love some advice please. I'm quite traumatised and confused by some posts on this thread. For example,
    The problem with such forums is that they are obviously frequented by anonymous persons who are living in a fantasy world where they are rich and know what there is to know about investing their riches and can therefore advise others. Why would anyone in those circumstances post anonymously on an internet forum and considering the times of their posts could be unemployed people with not even two pennies to rub together?

..and...
    A lot easier to work out when people are not working. If they always post during the day on a weekday then they are not working for a living. I know it and everyone knows. Nobody is being fooled. These people supposedly having investments, bank accounts and credit cards is a joke and the joke is on them. I say go get a job and support yourselves instead of depending on my taxes!

Since I have time to post at all times of the day, including weekdays, I must be unemployed, have one penny or less, and all the letters I get regarding my investments, bank accounts and credit cards must be in my imagination, or some cruel hoax organised by all the high street banks.

What should I do? I'm shaken to the core by this revelation that my whole world is just a fantasy.

Or should I just take note of these wise words....
    ...But yet again the display of a lack of knowledge...

....and accept the reality that not everybody has a binary choice of going out to work or else depending on Smed's taxes for support?

Do you see my confusion?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Smed wrote: »

btw do you have "banker" in your username because it lends authority to your posts and do people actually think you're really a banker? LOL
    I assumed 'banker' was a misspelling :rotfl:
  • Smed
    Smed Posts: 40 Forumite
    eskbanker wrote: »
    If you're clumsily trying to make the point that cheaper isn't necessarily better then I'm sure that's something we can all agree on, but what incremental benefit do you feel you get from the extra cost of Moneybox over the competition? Or if it's a different point you're trying to hint at then please feel free to go ahead and educate us, preferably without repetitive references to tripe.

Perhaps the news hasn't reached darkest rural Lincolnshire yet but there was a bit of a financial crisis a few years ago, which finally put to bed any notion that bankers were regarded as figures of authority, and ever since then the word has had pantomime villain connotations, especially in the slavering world of the Daily Fail and the like, so it's not something that many aspire to.

So you are claiming to be a banker then, I don't suppose you have any proof of that.

I wonder because you are almost completely clueless.

You claim that a £1 per month flat fee is unreasonable without considering the total balance. Expressed as a percentage on a balance of £5000 not an unreasonable figure for investments, that's 0.02%. Since you think that is very big I wonder what interest you are getting on your savings. If you have any savings that is. LOL.

You also appear to claim that the fee charged is the be all and end all of investing because the fee is all you are considering. LOL
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 April 2017 at 7:04AM
    You claim that a £1 per month flat fee is unreasonable without considering the total balance. Expressed as a percentage on a balance of £5000 not an unreasonable figure for investments, that's 0.02%. Since you think that is very big I wonder what interest you are getting on your savings. If you have any savings that is. LOL.
    In fairness to eskbanker, the MoneyBox app site itself gets this completely wrong. If you scroll down to the calculator at https://www.moneyboxapp.com/investing/ the MoneyBox app site claims the fees paid to MoneyBox on a £5000 investment total £2.88 per month, which expressed as a percentage is 0.058% per month or 0.69% per year.

But you've spotted that they've made a huge error in their calculations and been able to invest at a much cheaper cost than any of us imagined. Congratulations! A 0.02% platform fee on just £5,000 of investments is a really great deal.

Edit: It seems that calculator has really been messed up. When I move the amount invested slider, the 'Fees paid to Moneybox' moves up and down, as if it wasn't a flat fee. What a load of tripe, eh?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Apodemus wrote: »

Funny, I had always assumed that he/she came from Eskbank! :)

So you are claiming to be a banker then, I don't suppose you have any proof of that.
    It's relatively clear that he isn't claiming to be a banker, but claiming to be someone from Eskbank. Do keep up Tony.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure