Call Credit (Noddle) refuse to make corrections

13»

Comments

• zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    analyst wrote: »
    Its not a conscious matter.
    If your, long forgotten, birth registration says Frederick Joseph Bloggs but throughout your entire life have only ever been called Joe Bloggs you tend to respond to that name. You sign up for billing in that name, you get listed in the telephone directory in that name, it becomes what you think of yourself as . . Joe Bloggs.

But they do care. Most organisations you become party to would not think of you as Frederick Bloggs. If you sit in the doctor's waiting room and the receptionist calls out "Frederick" you wouldn't even respond to it - out of oblivion, not intentionally.

Really? I go by my middle name too and I know about 5 other people who do too, and one who is called something completely different to their government name, and none of us have problems like this.

I use my middle name for anything where I am known personally, and my government name for everything else. So my work ID card has my real name, as does my GP, because you can give whatever name you like to the security office and the GP receptionist doesn't care either. But banks, phone book (if I was listed, which I will never be) and anything official like my degree certificate has my full government name. The only time it has ever caused a problem was when I started university at 18. My school had my names in the opposite order (i.e. my middle name first, since that's how they knew me), and thus my uni registration was in that order. All I had to do was to show my passport and they swapped my names round - but I kept on using the first student ID card they made for me with my real name :p
  • analyst_2
    analyst_2 Posts: 296 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2013 at 10:30AM
    Aha! There we have, what I believe to be the crux of the matter.
    zerog wrote: »
    . . . All I had to do was to show my passport and they swapped my names round . . .
    Because, to rectify the problem you were able to deal with REAL people, as in flesh and blood.

Throughout my, somewhat lengthy, life this has never been a problem for me. When I applied for say, bank accounts, building society accounts, mortgage accounts, etc., I had a human interface. Verification then consisted of me producing (typically) pay slips, utility bills, birth certificate, marriage certificate to a "manager" of said financial institution.

In a face-to-face situation they can readily see that Frederick Bloggs, Joseph Bloggs, and Joe Bloggs all living at 23 Railway Cuttings, East Cheam are one and the same person, so approval was "simples".

However, now that we are all digitised in this Orwellian nightmare, the computer makes no such associations. So now Frederick Joseph Bloggs aka Frederick Bloggs is distinctly NOT the same person as Joseph Bloggs, who is NOT the same person as Joe Bloggs, even despite the fact that they are all still living at 23 Railway Cuttings, East Cheam. And the few humans that are left in jobs are unwilling or unable to over-ride the system - hence "computer says no"

Now scholars, for your homework, write an essay entitled, "Have computers really advanced our society"
    The bankers stole my pension (and everyone else's). It should have earned a lot of money, but they took their bonus pot first.
  • analyst_2
    analyst_2 Posts: 296 Forumite
    Well, you can call it a workaround, rather than a runaway success.
    Since the purpose of the exercise was to get a Halifax Clarity CC for spending on forthcoming holiday in California I decided to circumvent all the shenanigans and risks of an online application with problematic credit reports.

I made an appointment and had a face-to-face with a senior Halifax bod in't th'office with all my ID paperwork, passport etc in my greasy mitt. (The old fashioned way)

The application sailed through after I first outlined the why's and wherefores of my mixed up identity. He did acknowledge that there are no provisions in an online application to cover such matters.

So I now have (well, in 5 days) a Halifax Clarity Card which is something I most certainly would not have if I'd done it all online. And they call this advancement?

. . . now, I need to light a fire, where can I find 2 boy scouts legs to rub together?
    The bankers stole my pension (and everyone else's). It should have earned a lot of money, but they took their bonus pot first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure