Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • patrickbateman
    • By patrickbateman 13th Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    • 83Posts
    • 45Thanks
    patrickbateman
    LISA /HTB query
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    LISA /HTB query 13th Feb 18 at 8:43 PM
    Hi,

Cut a long story short, both the missus and I have transferred our htb isa into a Lisa. I opened my isa in November and she opened hers at the end of January.
    We have just now been told our tenancy is coming to an end, and are likely to need to buy sooner than expected.
    I wondered if We have any options, whereby we can still use the bonus if we buy within a year of opening the Lisa.
    I.e. Can we use a bonus on our closed HTB Isa.

The bonus is worth about £4k to us combined, and this is a large sum of money to us when buying.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
    pB
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Feb 18, 11:58 PM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 6,355 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:58 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:58 PM
    Sorry, no, there's no way of retaining the bonus and using the money within the first year of having a LISA. It'll cost you more to withdraw after you've had your LISA bonus though, so you might wish to consider cashing in before the end of the tax year....
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 14th Feb 18, 6:51 AM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:51 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:51 AM
    As part of the HTB transfer did you get a closure statement? This may not have been provided on a LISA transfer but it might be worth asking you old provider for it now. If they will provide one this can be used for 12 months from the closure date to claim the bonus on the HTB closing balance. Let us know how you get on with this request please.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/manage-your-account/savings-isa-close-help-to-buy

As eskbanker's says you might want to withdraw your LISA money before 6th April if it looks more certain that you will be buying within 12 months of the initial LISA contribution as the penalty applies next tax year.

See how the situation pans out over the next month.

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 14-02-2018 at 6:54 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,208Posts Today

7,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's surreal Friday twitter poll: If you had a choice between aging on the inside or the outside, for the rest? https://t.co/gabklHJ0w1

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Final shoot for this series of The Martin Lewis Money Show! Have loved meeting & helping empower? https://t.co/MOtvb73nVu

• RT @LaraLewington: Riding a remote control electric skateboard is obviously best done in heels. Max speed 22mph, but maybe trainers for tha?

• Follow Martin