Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bee498
    • By bee498 13th Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bee498
    Father never paid Child Support
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    Father never paid Child Support 13th Feb 18 at 4:08 PM
    Hi there,

Could anyone give me a bit of advice. My parents split up when I was 2 years old, and my father paid CS until I was 8. When I was 8, my mum got married again, and she told my father to put the CS into a fund for me to get when I was 18 or 21. He agreed, and nothing was spoke about it again. When I turned 18 (I'm nearly 20 now), I asked him about it, and he told me he started paying into the fund when I was 13, but it wouldn't pay out until I was 23, and it was only going to be a fraction of the amount that he would have paid in CS.

Can anyone help?

Thanks Bee
Page 1
    • sfm82
    • By sfm82 13th Feb 18, 11:26 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    sfm82
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:26 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:26 PM
    I don't understand what you need help with...Do you think your father should have paid more into the fund?
    I don't think there's much you can do about the size of the fund tbh it is what it is.
    • NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    • By NotSuchASmugMarriedNow 15th Feb 18, 8:08 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    • 15th Feb 18, 8:08 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 8:08 AM
    As a PP said - what do you need help with? It isn't really clear what you're asking for.
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
    • Mimi Arc en ciel
    • By Mimi Arc en ciel 15th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 4,488 Posts
    • 5,793 Thanks
    Mimi Arc en ciel
    • 15th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    Hi there,

Could anyone give me a bit of advice. My parents split up when I was 2 years old, and my father paid CS until I was 8. When I was 8, my mum got married again, and she told my father to put the CS into a fund for me to get when I was 18 or 21. He agreed, and nothing was spoke about it again. When I turned 18 (I'm nearly 20 now), I asked him about it, and he told me he started paying into the fund when I was 13, but it wouldn't pay out until I was 23, and it was only going to be a fraction of the amount that he would have paid in CS.

Can anyone help?

Thanks Bee
    Originally posted by bee498

There's nothing you can do. He hasn't paid the full amount but as the case would have been closed now there's nothing you can do

Your mother should have taken the CS and put it in a saving account herself.
    Very proud mummy of 2!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Feb 18, 9:57 AM
    • 61,559 Posts
    • 360,546 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 15th Feb 18, 9:57 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 9:57 AM
    It wasn't in writing, a court never ordered he did it. There clearly was a conversation between your mum/dad about it as he did put some money in - but what that conversation contained and when it took place was never documented.

In short: there's nothing you can do about it, he wasn't legally obliged to put the money in there, it's a loose arrangement/conversation between your parents years ago.

That's life I'm afraid .... he didn't, you've "lost out", that's the way things work when things aren't done formally.... and even if he'd written a letter to your mum saying he was going to do it, it sounds voluntary.
    • JJWSJS8700
    • By JJWSJS8700 19th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    JJWSJS8700
    • 19th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 19th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    Ask your Parents!!!8217; if it was an official arrangement, ~ through the CSA/Courts, then ask if it was officially closed by both.

If it wasn!!!8217;t official, you will have lost out but if it was an agreed figure by the CSA, you could see if they can collect the amount agreed. Which would be due now.

Why 23yrs.

You!!!8217;re 20yrs old, when did you leave full time education (non advanced) or have you?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

393Posts Today

4,865Users online

Martin's Twitter