Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• mbzon
    • By mbzon 12th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Retiring to the EU after Brexit?
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    Retiring to the EU after Brexit? 12th Feb 18 at 7:45 PM
    This is on behalf of my mother, who after years of chasing the moving goal posts will finally retire this year with a long awaited plan of retiring to a warmer EU country (Spain, Portugal or Greece are some of the favourites).

The thing is, while I know a lot is unknown she now has no idea what to expect or if the plan might even be possible after/just before Brexit.

I know the visa situation is difficult to know at this time, but her main concern is rather health care; as she has just recovered from cancer a few years ago and is also currently having weekly (expensive) injections for arthritis private healthcare would be impossibly expensive. So what would her options be, if any?

She is considering to move earlier than planned (around summer of this year), or considering to keep her residence and only live part of the year in the new country, but how would she receive her weekly treatments in this case?

I know a lot of these things are still unknown, but vague opinions are very welcome. Is there a way that she will likely be able to keep to her plan, or does she have to give up on her retirement dreams and stay in the UK?
Page 2
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 13th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    • 5,433 Posts
    • 4,690 Thanks
    If the current retirement health arrangements are significantly changed then that would be a "A Very Courageous Decision" on behalf of the PM!
    Originally posted by Sobraon
    unless British residents abroad couldn't vote either (which should be the case IMO).
    A salary slave no more.....
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 13th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 10,244 Posts
    • 6,946 Thanks
    Has she considered Gibraltar?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 13th Feb 18, 8:17 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    While its a long way away I was just curious about what happens to EU citizens of other member states who wish to retire elsewhere in the EU post Brexit but have spent all their life in the UK re healthcare.

Now at present the country where you worked/earned your pension picks up your healthcare costs (via the S1 form) - and pays the health service of the EU nation you retire in.

If you are say an Irish citizen (as applies to almost everyone in Northern Ireland) but have only ever worked in the UK - if say you retire to Spain will the UK or Ireland or Spain cover your healthcare as a retiree. Clearly Brits won't be able to retire in the EU as of right but EU citizens resident in the UK will be but won't necessarily have worked in one of the other 27 existing EU nations.

Would it be necessary to go and work in an EU member state for a few months to qualify - and they then pick up the tab? Probably subject to negotiation!
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 13th Feb 18, 8:19 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    Ireland will still be an option - but not exactly a good choice weather wise!
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 13th Feb 18, 9:00 PM
    • 1,986 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    Did you know that at any one time there are 18 trucks replenishing stock at the Morrisons supermarket in Gibraltar and it is consistantly in their top 10 stores by sales volumes?
    • tony541
    • By tony541 13th Feb 18, 10:48 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Personally, I dont think the reciprical health care will change at all regardless of the outcome of brexit especially with Spain
    I would advise your mother to rent somewhere for say 3 months to make friends and get to know about the real deal about living in a foreign country. Also it is relatively cheap to rent somewhere on the south costa blanca, a cheaper area, from Cartagena to Alicante for say 500 euros per month for a two or one-bed apartment. And, so one doesnt need to tie up all one's wealth buying. Buying and then selling in Spain will lose you some 15 to 20% of your capital which puts a lot of people off downsizing in Spain, myself included. Have a look at the expat website and then at 'properties' which shows to let and wanted long term lets. Ciudad Quesada and other Urbinisations at La Marina and Villa Martin are good expat communities with bars, restaurants and medical facilities. Your mum could say organise a weeks holiday there and do a reccy for long term rental and local agents would show her some properties for rent.
    Good luck with it.
    ps I'm not pushing Costa Blanca South but it could be a decent area to research if your mum is on a budget and it isnt a bad place to live.
    Last edited by tony541; 13-02-2018 at 11:01 PM.
    • margaretclare
    • By margaretclare 14th Feb 18, 10:10 AM
    • 10,093 Posts
    • 17,089 Thanks
    I wouldn't mind living in Alicante. It's a lovely old town, but a world away from the more popular Benidorm.

Does your mum want to become part of an 'expat community' i.e. just the same as UK but in the sun - or does she really want to live in another country, learn the language etc?
    Ær ic wisdom funde, ær wearð ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

1,316Users online

Martin's Twitter