Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Debbo1
    • By Debbo1 8th Feb 18, 1:09 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Court action for overpayment of Child Support
    • #1
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:09 PM
    Court action for overpayment of Child Support 8th Feb 18 at 1:09 PM
    Hi, My ex is threatening to take me to small claims court to recoup overpayment of Child Maintenance. Situation is that my child left college course to complete next level of course on apprenticeship. I assumed this came under continued education and therefore didn't tel ex of the move. He continued to pay as I thought he would wish to. He's discovered he didn't need to pay now my son is on apprenticeship and wants almost £2k back or he'll go to the police saying I've obtained money by deception and then he will get the money off me via small claims court. We had a private arrangement in place following the CMS move to charge for administration of transactions. I don't have this kind of money and I genuinely didn't know the apprenticeship wasn't education. What are the legalities on this.
Page 1
    • Sambella
    • By Sambella 8th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    • #2
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • #2
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    The police are very unlikely to get involved as they will deem it a civil matter and his only redress would be the small claims court if he has indeed overpaid. Alternatively you could reach agreement with him to pay over a reasonable period of time.

    Apprentenships cause quite a bit of confusion but it seems that if they are of the unpaid type (foundation apprentenships) then child maintennace can continue.
    • CurlySue2017
    • By CurlySue2017 8th Feb 18, 3:18 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    • #3
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:18 PM
    • #3
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:18 PM
    You should pay him back IF he has overpaid, simple as that.

    If he had underpaid, would you just let it go? Or would you want what you should have received?

    If you can't afford it then make a repayment plan to pay it off over a period of time.....just like he would have to do if the roles were reversed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,182Posts Today

7,742Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's surreal Friday twitter poll: If you had a choice between aging on the inside or the outside, for the rest?

  • RT @LauraFrancis9: Final shoot for this series of The Martin Lewis Money Show! Have loved meeting & helping empower?

  • RT @LaraLewington: Riding a remote control electric skateboard is obviously best done in heels. Max speed 22mph, but maybe trainers for tha?

  • Follow Martin