Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 29th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 3,315Posts
    • 5,175Thanks
    another casualty
    Quit..rest ..restart . Diary no.3
    • 29th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    Quit..rest ..restart . Diary no.3 29th Dec 17 at 1:32 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.comshowthread.php?t=53499 16
    And possibly the last . Not sure if the link works .

From someone who never bothers with diaries ( I!!!8217;m the person who gets one from the office but leaves it in a drawer for 2 years ), to someone who has done two on m s e .

As the title suggests , diary 1 is quit ( 28/10/2015)
    Diary 2 is wondering what now?( 2/04/2017)
    Diary 3 is trying to pickup the pieces of the puzzle and put them together so everything fits . (29/22/17)

I must thank all the regulars ( Lesson Learned, harz, enthusiastic , gigervamp, Anna , copperjar cew Wendy &co. ) plus all the others who have been reading and thanking me along the way.
    I do think that, had the internet and this site had been around when we first had problems that a lot of mistakes wouldn!!!8217;t have happpened.

There are many people worse off of course, but Like others I want to avoid falling down after trying to rebuild myself ready to be more sturdy and robust for what is thrown at me in the immediate future and beyond.

Biggest obstacles to overcome : lose the weight / find a part time job/find confidence to meet new People / stop lazing around/
    Oh, and get off the prednisolone .

Hope you enjoy the journey with me .

Thanks
    Ac
Page 1
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 29th Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 7,049 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    • 29th Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    Happy New Diary AC
    Will follow, cheer and prod along...

*Subscribed - Again
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 29th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 5,705 Posts
    • 11,292 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 29th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    Happy new diary AC and good luck with living within a budget, finding a job and improving your health and fitness. All good aims for 2018.

DH and I are off to a hotel in Winchester for a 3 day break for New Years tomorrow. Also waiting to find out whether we will have a new grandson or granddaughter in April/may as our daughter having her 20 week scan today. Exciting stuff.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 29th Dec 17, 7:07 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 2,851 Thanks
    dreaming
    • 29th Dec 17, 7:07 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 7:07 PM
    Hi AC, just happened upon your new thread whilst wasting time waiting for dinner to cook. Don't spend so much time on internet these days but occasionally look in to see how you are doing. Seems to be going well for you.

Alfie cat is still with me although we had an emergency visit to vets on 20th Dec. £315 later (2 consultations and 3 lots of medicines) he kept me worried for a few days but is now back to normal. If it's not kids, it's cats causing all the grey hairs, and bank balance palpitations!

Anyway, hope 2018 sees you happy and healthy, and moving towards your goals. All the best AC, and readers.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 29th Dec 17, 7:57 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 5,175 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 29th Dec 17, 7:57 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 7:57 PM
    Hi folks
    Thanks for your kind words . Dreaming itís good to hear from you again. Glad Alfie is still kicking it . I remember the last year of my cat sweepy, I paid out around £750 . Everything else came second to her of course

Well enthusiastic , youíve reached retirement cool !
    Great news about being a grandma soon . I think thatís what the Americans say .

Uncanny Scot , I will be catching up on your diary over the next few days . Hope all is good for you .

I will post something below in a moment as a brief catchup .

I must wish you all a happy new year , whoever reads this
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 29th Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 5,175 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 29th Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    Now where was I ? Apart from visiting my friend with no trousers on ,Iíd better mention a few bits and pieces .
    Went to the gym on weds, and was given a more thorough workout than expected . Mr personal trainer is happy , and I guess in a way I am. Need to be there more and after seeing him on the1 st aim to be 3 days a week and some stuff at home .
    I ordered 2 pairs of jeans in a smaller size waist from m&s and will be getting them delivered to me next week. I hope they fit . Everything else is falling off me . Fingers crossed.

Will be brushing up my cv and by end of jan should be meeting agencies or at least talking to them .

Itís weird with this illness . One minute youíre daring to go. The next youíre tired lazy and achey. Still Iíve rested long enough and donít want to over complicate stuff. I just need to get on with it.

Iím still reigning in my budget now and a lot of habits like going to the coffee shop have all but disappeared . I have cut down on what I eat and how much etc.

Regarding the flat : a couple of tiles by the bathroom have started to have bubbles appearing on them and are a bit on the damp side and need re grouting already . The wood inside the cabinet is already decaying on one side . Iím asssuning that itís because everything got moved back further against the wall giving me more room but it is the outside wall so to speak . Wall is cold but not wet. The dehumidifier must be doing itís job. The good thing about me painting the rest of the flat white means I can see any discolouration mold or dampness .
    Neither seems present apart from those two tiles.
    The wood inside the kitchen. Cupboard under sink is decaying rapidly
    I may get James to have a look. May get him to give quote on kitchen cupboards . Iíll mull it over.
    I found out that my block of flats used to be a nursing home before it was converted a few years ago . The taxi driver used to see his wifeís mother in there .

Every time it rains the puddle outside the block is massive and very long . Takes ages to dry out . So I had a live chat online with Wessex water . Very helpful . They even cane out to investigate. The chap told me that it needs to be looked at by Poole council. He could see the issue . So I emailed Poole council. I saw their van outside . Guess what , the water was more or less evaporated when he looked.
    I expect them to say that thereís nothing to see here etc
    When they do , I will apologise but send them photos of the problem.
    Watergate

Music room tidied at last . Everything is more or less where it should be. Had to order an interface tho as there is no sound coming out of my bass when recording . The instruments on reason are working tho

Need to sort out bedroom soon . Just a few boxes of clutter to sort out
    I have boxes from things purchased that I have to keep. Where to put them? Other than the obvious Iím not sure

Thatís it for now
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 29th Dec 17, 10:27 PM
    • 6,268 Posts
    • 19,984 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    • 29th Dec 17, 10:27 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 10:27 PM
    Nice shiny new thread for a new year!

You need a loft AC! It's annoying that retailers insist on things being returned in their original packaging. We put our boxes up in the loft, then when a few years have passed, chuck the boxes. But I don't know where they expect people who live in flats are supposed to keep them.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 29th Dec 17, 10:43 PM
    • 5,705 Posts
    • 11,292 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 29th Dec 17, 10:43 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 10:43 PM
    Can you collapse the boxes AC so they are easier to store? Loft or garage obviously ideal but in the absence of that flat packed boxes could go on top of a wardrobe or behind something if you don't have a cupboard. We are having a second little granddaughter in May so thrilled

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Karonher
    • By Karonher 29th Dec 17, 11:42 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    Karonher
    • 29th Dec 17, 11:42 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 11:42 PM
    Good Luck in the new year - and I would recommend agencies for getting you back into even part time work.
    Getting ready for Christmas 2018

Aiming to make £5,000 online in 2018.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 30th Dec 17, 12:50 AM
    • 2,621 Posts
    • 2,542 Thanks
    harz99
    So AC, we come to the final part of your Trilogy, very best of luck and a slightly early happy new year to you.
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 30th Dec 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 9,241 Thanks
    grunnie
    Good luck AC have subscribed again to follow your journey. You are doing really well . I am losing weight as well and need to spend some money on new clothes. My new year's resolution is to decorate my whole house starting with my kitchen and tidying as I go.
    Could the folded boxes go in your wardrobe behind the clothes at the back wall. Write the date you bought the items on the box. If something is guaranteed for say 3years I write keep till and then write on that date. Then once a year I do a clear out and it's off to the recycling for them.
    Happy New Year.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 30th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    • 6,268 Posts
    • 19,984 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Yes, boxes that can be folded can be stored in a few places (under the bed is another place), but sometimes they have moulded polystyrene to hold all the bits, and it's those that make storing tricky.

Hopefully AC's boxes don't.
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 30th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Happy new diary AC and looking forward to reading about your inspiring adventures in 2018
    Getting back on Track
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 30th Dec 17, 3:59 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 5,175 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks very much all.
    Hello Karonher , hope all is well .
    Yes , agencies are the way to go in this day and age . When I was registering previously in London , registering was always a long drawn out affair .This is when I ticked all boxes except part time funnily enough. I would have to take a typing and spelling test. Then I saw the temporary lady. Then I saw the permanent lady and then I was accepted . Wonder if itís the same ordeal here / Bournemouth/ southampton ..
    This time I only want part time , so who knows .
    When I registered for that , I had to give the agencies a call on either a Thursday or Monday . Or of course theyíd call me .
    Iím giving myself the rest of jan to get organised.

Regarding the boxes: trying to Box clever is proving a p I t a at times.
    Lots flat plucked and lots flattened . Yes, I do miss the lof. Having said that , it was often neglected and rubbish was out of sight out of mind .

Fixed the glitch on my musical stuff on the Mac.
    A new interface , and trawling through you tube sorted things out for now . P I t a . I havenít been outside the door today as Iíve been hours trying to sort it out.
    Still , another thing in the right direction I guess
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 30th Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 5,705 Posts
    • 11,292 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    You could maybe apply for something you would not necessarily think of AC like helping out in a shop or supermarket local to you or music shop in Bournemouth if they still have such things. We have one in a Plymouth. I seem to remember postie job was what you did in London?

• another casualty
    • By another casualty 1st Jan 18, 3:42 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 5,175 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi enthusiastic .
    My job titles were Postroom clerk/ facilities assistant / Postroom supervisor / messenger etc . Never post office thoí which could be seen as surprising . When I started working, they were always on strike . It put me off for sometime. Things are different now .
    When I approach the agencies , I will obviously be flexible and see whatís out there if anything. Iíll go with an open mind and see what gives. While Iím looking, I can still keep going to the gym and that will help .

So today, I didnít want to but I had a personal training session once again. He worked me hard . My left eye was a little tired at times, but I gave it my all and will endeavour to do so for as long as it takes .
    At my age, the long haul will be longer but I will keep on persisting until something starts to happen . Never surrender.
    This time last year I was breathless walking a short distance . Things have improved a lot since then . Probably since September .
    I may have got a little complacent on my time off, so I will make more of an effort this year to walk more often and longer distances.

Weird atmosphere today . Places like John Lewis etc were closed . Not many people out . Plus it was raining heavy most of the morning .
    Itís New Yearís Day also.

Things to do this week: get a haircut . More Han one surprisingly at my age . Buy trainers . Buy candles in the sales. Homesense have my fave at the moment . Warm tobacco pipe ,and wild honey nectar. Iím sitting here with wood smoke . Loving that one.
    Pay in cheque from plevin .
    I have lots of loose change that has to,be bagged up and taken to nationwide in instalments to go into my account.
    There is loads since I lived in my previous permanent address.
    I was going to work with loads of 20p pieces when I was on my last legs of employment and bewilderment . I had lots of cafe Nero cards as well as you know
    This needs to be got rid and paid into my bank.
    In the middle of that , I have Euroís from when I used to visit Ireland .i found a 50 euro note and thought it was a joke one.
    My friends said itís legit . My eyesight.

Thatís it for now
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 9,546 Posts
    • 59,203 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Happy New Year.....to everyone. And happy new thread.

Good to catch up with you all. I!!!8217;m flaked out on the sofa, being lazy. Didn!!!8217;t get to bed till 4......

Hope you!!!8217;ve all had a fabulous Christmas and new year.

AC. What a long way you have come. Really looking forward to the last part of the trilogy, seeing your fitness levels continue to improve and seeing you find a job and make new friends, getting out and about.

Lovely day here, no rain so went for a brisk walk to blow the cobwebs away. Got a nice piece of pork for dinner, healthy eating all the way for me from now on.

I set off on Saturday for my Amazon adventure so I!!!8217;ve got a busy week this week. I do have lots of plans and ideas for 2018. I!!!8217;ll start bringing them to fruition when I get back at the end of February.

Until then a Happy and healthy New Year to you all, may all your dreams start coming true.

X
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 1st Jan 18, 8:06 PM
    • 6,268 Posts
    • 19,984 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Happy New Year everyone, and Bon Voyage LL, have a wonderful time exploring the Amazon. I hope you'll regale us with tales of your adventure when you get back!
    • harz99
    • By harz99 1st Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 2,621 Posts
    • 2,542 Thanks
    harz99
    Have a good trip LL, and as Gigervamp said please do tell us all about your Amazon adventure, somewhere we'd really like to go as well.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 5,175 Thanks
    another casualty
    Yes LL , enjoy the Amazon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,538Posts Today

8,317Users online

Martin's Twitter