Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WishIHadAName
    • By WishIHadAName 13th Feb 18, 3:15 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    WishIHadAName
    First Mortgage loans
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:15 PM
    First Mortgage loans 13th Feb 18 at 3:15 PM
    Hi

Im looking at buying my first house with a 5% deposit. I know raising a 10% deposit is better but since renting Im just treading water trying to acheive this. My question is how much do loans affect a application? I currently have a loan with £2000 left to pay. I was looking at getting another loan to fund a car for a £1000 giving me a £3000 loan with payinf off the exisitinf one. This would add a year to paying the loan off but on a better rate. I i currently oay £96 a month and to take our a £3000 loan for three years would cost £72 a month. My question is, would it affect a mortgage application having slightly more debt or would paying less a month be better?
Page 1
    • juniordoc
    • By juniordoc 13th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    juniordoc
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    Depending on how much cash your 5% deposit turns out to be, the loan maybe more or less significant.
    If it's 5% of a 300k house you're probably fine, if it's 5% of an 80k house then you really don't have much deposit once the loan is taken into account.
    • WishIHadAName
    • By WishIHadAName 13th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    WishIHadAName
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    Well my partner will be supplying the deposit yet Im the bigger earner so will pay more mortgage. We have a £14000 deposit.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 13th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    • 16,336 Posts
    • 8,443 Thanks
    ACG
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    When it comes to loans, most lenders will work off the monthly repayment rather than the balance. So £72 is probably better than £96. However, that is not a hard and fast rule so it might be worth speaking to a broker if affordability is tight.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

1,410Users online

Martin's Twitter