Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chris_n
    • By chris_n 13th Nov 17, 9:34 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    chris_n
    Owl intuition con
    • 13th Nov 17, 9:34 PM
    Owl intuition con 13th Nov 17 at 9:34 PM
    Owl have been selling online monitors for a number of years and have suddenly decided a subscription is needed. They say it has always been in the Ts&Cs but surely it is not ethical and is certainly outside of government guidelines. Until today there was no mention of subscription (other than buried in Ts&Cs) anywhere on the website. Their helpdesk also stated no subscription. Basically I have a heating control that I bought a year ago that is a brick unless I subscribe!
Page 2
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Nov 17, 10:20 AM
    • 31,397 Posts
    • 18,809 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Mine has been reliable.

I just need a standalone interface to keep it working if their server goes down.
    • Derham
    • By Derham 17th Nov 17, 10:33 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Derham
    Ok, I'm probably going to swap mine out for a Hive system. I didn't think they did the hot water as well but it turns out they do. There is a special offer on Amazon at the moment for £120
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Nov 17, 5:28 PM
    • 31,397 Posts
    • 18,809 Thanks
    getmore4less
    The unit can be controlled independently as it listens on a UDP port for commands, looks like you need to get the UDP key from the network owl for these to work. you can get this from the settings so probably worth getting it anyway just in case.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Nov 17, 5:46 PM
    • 31,397 Posts
    • 18,809 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Ok, I'm probably going to swap mine out for a Hive system. I didn't think they did the hot water as well but it turns out they do. There is a special offer on Amazon at the moment for £120
    Originally posted by Derham
    Think that Hive hot water is just on/off I like the OWL I can have different temps at different times.

I want to keep mine going so I can think about heating and integrations with home automation for the next upgrade.
    • chris_n
    • By chris_n 17th Nov 17, 9:09 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    chris_n
    I've got my UDP key and have downloaded all of the relevant files from the website for furure reference. I tried the listener app last year with no success but could find the transmissions with wireshark. Maybe I'll have a look when I get back home after the winter.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 18th Nov 17, 1:14 AM
    • 31,397 Posts
    • 18,809 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I got the multicast listener to work this morning, checked with some updates to the system.

The spec for the output is out of date.

I can see the multicast output on the network but not the traffic between the gateway and the server, I will need to move the network sniffer closer to see whats there.

Will try to find time to play with the UDP interface.
    • j9faulk
    • By j9faulk 19th Nov 17, 11:11 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    j9faulk
    Hi if you haven't already bought it from Amazon AO have a better offer of £124 but on top there is £30 cashback plus you get 4% commission through Quidco if you order it today so makes it incredible affordable. £30 only available on self install options. !!!55357;!!!56838;
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 19th Nov 17, 12:38 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 2,243 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I've only got the monitor to check what PV I'm generating and know whether to switch the dishwasher on etc. I've a diverter for spare power to go to my immersion, but unlike many here I don't use it to control my central heating. In fact with having a wood burner I very rarely use my CH - a successful test the other day, but that's it so far this autumn.

£20 upfront to a fragile company just for monitoring doesn't seem like a good idea, so I wonder what alternatives are available.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 19th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    • 31,397 Posts
    • 18,809 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I've only got the monitor to check what PV I'm generating and know whether to switch the dishwasher on etc. I've a diverter for spare power to go to my immersion, but unlike many here I don't use it to control my central heating. In fact with having a wood burner I very rarely use my CH - a successful test the other day, but that's it so far this autumn.

£20 upfront to a fragile company just for monitoring doesn't seem like a good idea, so I wonder what alternatives are available.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    That unit should be outputting the data so you can just collect it in your own software, if you google there are people out there that seem doing it for the PV monitor.

yet to find one for the heating might have to do my own.
    • RichardP1
    • By RichardP1 20th Nov 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RichardP1
    I have written a Windows app for monitoring my Solar PV OWL, so from that point of view I don't need the web service. However, when I originally go the system you could change the batteries in the transmitter device and then re-pair with the receiver by pressing the pairing buttons on both devices. Now, after a software update quite a few years ago, you have to change the batteries and re-pair using the web site. What is not clear from the e-mail about introducing a subscription, is will you still be able to change the batteries if you don't pay?

If you can't change the batteries the system will be useless once the batteries fail. Originally when purchased the device would have continued working without the web service. What is the legal position here? They have provided a device with certain documented features, then changed those features and then at a later date require payment for maintaining the new, unwanted but essential, requirement.
    • Mel Frank
    • By Mel Frank 22nd Nov 17, 3:57 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mel Frank
    I've now given up on OWL internet use. Conversations with them by a friend of mine doesn't give me any confidence in the company anymore, and that it has had internet off periods over the last couple months. Just using the electricity monitor locally and got a really cheap Hive system for heating and hot water control. Took me 20 minutes to swap it over to Hive, AND it works with my Echo. I can now talk to my Heating and Hot Water and it works great.
    Last edited by Mel Frank; 22-11-2017 at 5:31 PM.
    • solar rover
    • By solar rover 23rd Dec 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    solar rover
    My owl intuition will read a daily total of 4 times the amount of the FIT meter, it will read 0.35kw even when the inverter says it is generating nothing. I know this is not right but does anyone have an idea of the cause?
    • Majikthi5e
    • By Majikthi5e 13th Jan 18, 1:55 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Majikthi5e
    Will try writing a simple control app.
    Well I've been blithely ignoring the subscription demands thinking they were spam. D'oh!
    I'm not bothered about data logging but would be gutted (and very angry) if I couldn't control my central heating from my phone any more . I'm disabled and getting from the couch to the thermostat and back again is probably about a 15 minute round trip.

Having said that, I'm a professional software developer and the only reason I chose OWL in the first place was because their published API meant I should be able to control it using software I had written myself. I had some big idea about writing an app to control the various remote controlled gadgets in my house from a single interface. That was over 4 years ago and of course I still haven't got around to writing the app.

Maybe it's about time I got started on the OWL bit of it at least. If I have any luck I will post here and make my software freely available to anyone who wants it.

BTW I must say I personally have found OWL to be 100% reliable - possibly because my broadband is pretty solid too.
    • Majikthi5e
    • By Majikthi5e 16th Jan 18, 4:25 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Majikthi5e
    It turns out to be quite easy to control the Network Owl without using the official Owl app.
    However, a kind of "password" called a UDP key is needed to make the Network Owl respond to commands. This is freely available from the Owl Intuition Web Dashboard, though whether or not you will still have access to it if your subscription runs out is another question altogether, so I suggest you make a note of it right now. Here's how to find it:

Log in to the Owl Intuition web dashboard Click “System” at the top of the page , then scroll down to “Advanced Settings” and click “Setup Data Push”. Make a note of the UDP key shown and keep it safe.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 16th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 4,037 Posts
    • 5,179 Thanks
    zeupater
    Hi All

.... Don't you just love the idea of physical product evolving into a service based solution ...

I like the 'old fashioned' way ... sell me a product, give me a guarantee, then leave me to break it myself when I'm ready, not when it becomes convenient to plug some revenue-stream or other! ...

Just think, if we're not careful it'll be cars next!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • coastersteve
    • By coastersteve 17th Jan 18, 5:15 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    coastersteve
    It turns out to be quite easy to control the Network Owl without using the official Owl app.
    However, a kind of "password" called a UDP key is needed to make the Network Owl respond to commands. This is freely available from the Owl Intuition Web Dashboard, though whether or not you will still have access to it if your subscription runs out is another question altogether, so I suggest you make a note of it right now. Here's how to find it:

Log in to the Owl Intuition web dashboard Click “System” at the top of the page , then scroll down to “Advanced Settings” and click “Setup Data Push”. Make a note of the UDP key shown and keep it safe.
    Originally posted by Majikthi5e
    Well done finding out how to control the thermostat and I've made a note of my UDP key just in case someone writes a solution!

If they do withdraw access to the online portal, a feature that has been there since day one, I'll be recovering the cost of the Owl Intuition, Electricity monitor, Hub and their replacements via court.
    • waltsalt
    • By waltsalt 8th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    waltsalt
    I have written a Windows app for monitoring my Solar PV OWL, so from that point of view I don't need the web service.
    Originally posted by RichardP1
    Hi RichardP1, would you be willing to share the Windows app you wrote for monitoring the solar PV? i have an Owl and they have cut me off but would like to get basic monitoring back in place. Cheers.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 16th Feb 18, 8:42 AM
    • 31,397 Posts
    • 18,809 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I thought they had disable my heating back in Jan as it went offline turns out it still works.

new email says cutoff end of Feb.

There has been some work on standalone driver using the UDP interface by people on the energy monitoring side, all is not lost for now you can keep it working.

Also noticed a firmware update has turned up!
    • GavinW
    • By GavinW 16th Feb 18, 4:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GavinW
    You can have your own dashboard and controls :)
    I have also had the same emails from the owl and have been ignoring them.
    I managed to get my own thermostat controller and voice control rigged up. So i no longer need there interface or controls.
    It consists of a combination of a node.js module from the node library called "owlintuition" : npmjs.com/package/owlintuition
    and the Home Assistant project : home-assistant.io
    These can now be triggered via Google Home and Alexa using Home Assistant as the middle man.

I can read the PV and electricity data and display it on my custom dashboard.
    Interface No1 : ibb.co/kVNb87
    Interface No2 : ibb.co/dyuRan
    And this generic thermostat : ibb.co/gjahFn

Like previous posters mentioned, its simply pushing data to the UDP interface of the OWL on your local network. it no longer needs to talk home for configuration.
    I can set timers, temps, away mode, read all the necessary data and boost heating.

If anyone needs any pointers or wants to see the code, let me know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

3,326Users online

Martin's Twitter