Chargeback for counterfeit goods shipped from China

I have recently purchased some golf clubs from an online shop. After further research due to the DHL tracking starting in China it seems almost certain that the clubs are counterfeit.

I have contacted Natwest as they were purchased on my Visa Debit card. I was advised to accept the delivery (expected tomorrow) and then if i provide the original invoice, proof they was sold as genuine, an independant report proving they are not genuine and a returns address a claim can be opened to what i presume would be a chargeback.

Has anybody been through this procedure before or help me with advice? How can i get an independant report proving they are genuine apart from sending them to Mizuno (Manufacturer)? Am i right in thinking that for a chargeback to take place i will need to send the items back to China to the supplier? obviously if this is the case i cant send them to mizuno as they will not return counterfeit goods to me. Lots of questions i know sorry but last one, will i have to return the items before a chargeback decision has been agreed? I mean i wont be very happy spending £50 to return the goods to only then be told i cant be reinbursed?

I have been doing some research this evening and finding the issue tough to get my head around. I have found a small amount of info but mainly dealing with damaged or non delivered items. Any help regarding charge back for counterfeit goods will be very helpful, also worth noting the site i purchased from has no contact details on there besides email, hopefully the parcel will have a return address on there.

Comments

• you bought something from a site with no contact details except an e mail address?
    geeee
  • Are all your 9xxx posts as helpful as that one.
  • BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    China 'Ebay's designer clothes favourite supplier.
    Sorry cant help you with the golf clubs but china is the counterfeit capital of the world.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 March 2012 at 10:45PM
    Its going to be extremely difficult as your going to have provide evidence that the clubs are not genuine.

Try contacting the manufacture to see if they can give you any guidance.

MIZUNO CORPORATION(UK)
    MIZUNO HOUSE,612 READING ROAD WINNERSH WOKINGHAM
    BERKSHIRE, RG41 5HE, ENGLAND
    TEL: 44-0118-936-2100 / FAX: 44-0118-977-0427
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Hi thanks stclair, i have contacted mizuno and they gave me the addresses of the two nearest stockists. They told me they will happily send them away for me to get them verified, but as mentioned i cant do this as it seems it will mess me up for being able to claim a chargeback.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 March 2012 at 11:17PM
    quinn132 wrote: »
    Hi thanks stclair, i have contacted mizuno and they gave me the addresses of the two nearest stockists. They told me they will happily send them away for me to get them verified, but as mentioned i cant do this as it seems it will mess me up for being able to claim a chargeback.

Surely if they are genuine you will keep them is that right

Who is the retailer you have purchased them from out of interest?
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Plxply
    Plxply Posts: 594 Forumite
    stclair wrote: »
    Surely if they are genuine you will keep them is that right

I assume if he sends them off and they turn out to be fake they will have to be destroyed as if the company sends back counterfeit goods blah blah blah nonsensical law even though it's a counterfeit of their own product. Genuine should be sent back perfectly fine though.

It's just important that he makes sure to follow the process, the clubs shouldn't need to be in his possession (as far as I know) as long as he has the official report from the real manufacture.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    If these clubs were purchased at a very low price from a funny website with no contact details except an e-mail address, I am wondering if the chargeback could be refused on the grounds that the cardholder was aware that the goods were unlikely to be genuine.
  • Plxply
    Plxply Posts: 594 Forumite
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    If these clubs were purchased at a very low price from a funny website with no contact details except an e-mail address, I am wondering if the chargeback could be refused on the grounds that the cardholder was aware that the goods were unlikely to be genuine.

I doubt it, by calling it something generic like "Golf Club Set" they could possibly get out of it if it's only a picture with the brand. But as soon as they mention that they're possibly branded a chargeback can be started. Although it may be obvious sometimes that they're fake, some people don't have knowledge of the price of golf clubs (if they're a beginner) or they may think of it as a sale £200 down to £100. If you allowed for that you will start to get "edge" cases like that where someone has to decide if the average person would think it's genuine.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Why not just refuse the delivery?
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure