BT share price woes

Comments

• green_man
    green_man Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Despite the drop they are still double where the were 3ish years ago, and almost double their pre crash 2007 peak, so I don't think you can assume they they are particularly undervalued at current levels.
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    I was too greedy; I was planning to offload some at 500p. I was hoping they were going to head back up but alas...

I suspect many investors are not prepared for the volatility in the price of individual shares. They go down for no apparent reason...and stay down, but of course, as soon as we sell they shoot back up!

Most small investors would be far better served with a low cost global index fund which they can 'buy-and-forget' - part of the problem with individual shares is the temptation to check how they are doing every 5 minutes!
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Directors were selling huge quantities at over £4; that was your sell signal:

http://www.nandp.co.uk/sharedealing/company/?companyCode=BT.A
  • Gadfium
    Gadfium Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    EdGasket wrote: »
    Directors were selling huge quantities at over £4; that was your sell signal:

http://www.nandp.co.uk/sharedealing/company/?companyCode=BT.A

Tony Chanmugam is a regular seller (he must have an expensive lifestyle!). £7.4M worth of stock sales in the last 2 years. Tough life at the top, eh?;)
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    My view is that if the outlook for BT was good, the directors would have waited a bit to sell vast quantities of shares. They knew it wasn't so rosy so got out with the cash.
  • Gadfium
    EdGasket wrote: »
    My view is that if the outlook for BT was good, the directors would have waited a bit to sell vast quantities of shares. They knew it wasn't so rosy so got out with the cash.

Well, it's an opinion. If they knew what was in the future then I guess they'd be doing something else.
  • Sinbad wrote: »
    Just under 10% of my portfolio. Apart from a 10% holding in Lloyds (that’s another story!), the rest of my portfolio is spread around various UK and Global funds

how seriously you are exposed with 10% of your portfolio does rather depend on the size of your portfolio, and what stage of your working life you are at. if you were on the cusp of retirement, and hoping to support your retirement mainly using this portfolio, then the risk would be very great. at an earlier stage of your life, with a smaller portfolio, it's less worrying.

look at it this way: suppose your BT shares became worthless. how long would you have to postpone your retirement in order to earn enough to recover the loss? if it's a month or 2, not that big a deal; but if it's a few years, ...
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Half year Result coming out today.

May the Force with you, and push the stock up to £5.
  • Gadfium
    Pincher wrote: »
    Half year Result coming out today.

May the Force with you, and push the stock up to £5.

Nothing like a bit of optimism! :D
  • junebaby
    junebaby Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Results are out tomorrow. Fingers crossed for some good figures.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure