Rusty cooker any rights??

2»

Comments

• Ok, but both currys and beko are saying there's nothing I can do, try the other company. I actually copied and pasted what you said but still no luck. What's the next step if they won't do anything?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Letter before action to currys - or a section 75 claim if you paid with credit card/finance.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Thanks. I paid using my PayPal MasterCard, so using money I'd saved by selling unwanted stuff on eBay! Not sure if that gives you the same rights?!
  • unholyangel
    Forumite
    Thanks. I paid using my PayPal MasterCard, so using money I'd saved by selling unwanted stuff on eBay! Not sure if that gives you the same rights?!

Wont hurt to ask but I'm not sure if paypal are registered in the UK/subject to FCA regulation and paypal tends to complicate matters. There does need to be a debtor > creditor > supplier chain - sometimes using paypal can break this chain if you (for example) sign in and pay via your account rather than paying by card without signing in (because when you pay via your account, the chain is debtor > creditor > paypal > supplier). If paypal just act as a merchant service (like streamline - enabling the retailer to take the payment) then s75 should still apply.

However trying a section 75 claim wont cost you anything and (if they are subject to FCA regulation) you can also refer your claim to the financial ombudsman if the bank reject it (again not costing you anything).

So might be worth looking into.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Jamiesmum
    Jamiesmum Posts: 368 Forumite
    Tiles, a sink and a cooker?? Lol. A bad plumper + a bad tiler ?

Not feeling too lucky then?

Lessons need to be learnt. Check things over when you buy/receive them.
  • Delays in building work meant I thought the cooker would be safer in the packaging. The problem with the sink didn't occur until it was being fitted, which was delayed due to builders not turning up! Another story! It wasn't the tiling that was the problem it was the bathroom fitter drilling into them! I guess problems are to be expected with most projects but yes feeling rather unlucky and depressed over the whole thing!
  • I paid using the balance in my PayPal account but using the repaid (with PayPal credit) MasterCard they provide so you can spend the balance in your PayPal account to buy things from places that don't accept PayPal!

Wont hurt to ask but I'm not sure if paypal are registered in the UK/subject to FCA regulation and paypal tends to complicate matters. There does need to be a debtor > creditor > supplier chain - sometimes using paypal can break this chain if you (for example) sign in and pay via your account rather than paying by card without signing in (because when you pay via your account, the chain is debtor > creditor > paypal > supplier). If paypal just act as a merchant service (like streamline - enabling the retailer to take the payment) then s75 should still apply.

However trying a section 75 claim wont cost you anything and (if they are subject to FCA regulation) you can also refer your claim to the financial ombudsman if the bank reject it (again not costing you anything).

So might be worth looking into.
  • unholyangel
    Forumite
    I paid using the balance in my PayPal account but using the repaid (with PayPal credit) MasterCard they provide so you can spend the balance in your PayPal account to buy things from places that don't accept PayPal!

Section 75 wont apply if there wasn't any credit involved. Chargeback might but I'd be dubious on its chances given its reliant on the retailer not contesting it (which I fully expect they would).

However like section 75, chargeback will cost you nothing to try and can also be referred to the financial ombudsman at no additional cost if the bank reject your chargeback.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure