CSA ending, CMS starting notice period??

Options
13Kent
13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Do NRP's get a notification of a CSA case coming to an end due to the change to CMS?

It appears that the PWC in our case has been told a while ago that it will be ending 6 months from when she got the notification, but hubby hasn't had any notification.

- Surely both sides should get a letter notifying them of an end to the case?

As the child is nearing the age when the liability would end anyway - we've been counting the months left, and knowing that there was supposed to be 6 months notice given and we hadn't heard anything we were hoping that the case would just run it's course and end rather than us having to try and set up a private agreement for the remaining time (which could be less than a year if it is the case that we need to be given 6 months notice).

The PWC has shown from past actions that she can't be trusted (telling the CSA she had not received any private payments from my husband when in fact she had and hubby had to pay the amounts again in the form of arrears) so we'd rather make payments that are recorded officially than enter into a private agreement.

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My friend was informed about 6 months ahead (he is the nRP) I have had nothing , like you I think mine will run it's natural course.
  • 13Kent
    Options
    The PWC seemed to indicate a little while ago that she'd had notice of it ending, but then again whether that was the truth or not is anyone's guess from past experience!!!
  • justontime
    justontime Posts: 507 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2016 at 2:14PM
    Options
    My husband (NRP) was notified 6 months before the case was due to end with CSA. He then set up a private agreement with his ex. In our case the ex then closed the CSA case before the 6 months had elapsed so I don't know if there would be any follow up correspondence from CSA prior to closure. There was no final statement or anything, just a letter stating that the PWC had closed the case from the date stated.
  • 13Kent
    Options
    Our letter has arrived with just a few weeks notice of the case ending.

We were hoping it would run it's course as there are only a few months left, but now we will need to set up a private agreement.

How are those of you on a private agreement paying? We don't want to get our fingers burnt as in the past when the NRP told the CSA hubby had not paid anything (when he'd been paying regularly) and the CSA believed her leaving him with a huge arrears bill for money already paid.
  • Gpod
    Gpod Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    13Kent wrote: »
    How are those of you on a private agreement paying? We don't want to get our fingers burnt as in the past when the NRP told the CSA hubby had not paid anything (when he'd been paying regularly) and the CSA believed her leaving him with a huge arrears bill for money already paid.

Pay it through a bank account and label the payments 'Child Maintenance'.
  • justontime
    Options
    13Kent wrote: »

We negotiated an agreement (above the CMS calculation) and we had every detail written out in the agreement. Both parents signed each copy and both have a signed copy to keep.

We set out what the payment was for, the child's name, the start date, payment method (and details of the account the money must be paid into), the monthly due date, review dates and end dates so that everyone was absolutely clear. We also put clauses stating that the money would usually be paid 7 days in advance of the due date with an agreement from the PWC to notify the paying parent if the payment was not in the account 3 days before the due date. It is paid by standing order but wanted to avoid any possibility of accidental arrears due to a bank error.

It is working very well and it has led to much happier family relationships. The end of formal responsibility to pay is not far away, but the 'child' will continue to need support and with this arrangement it will be possible continue payments until her course finishes (beyond age 20).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure