Think I forgot my road tax, how do I check?

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    elsien wrote: »
    Pay it online. Today.
    You have 14 days from the date it runs out to renew it (actually, not sure if this is still the case), but you shouldn't drive till it's sorted.

There was a 14 day grace period for the display of a tax disc, but only provided it had been applied for before the expiry date. AFAIK this was to allow for any postal or processing delays. Now obsolete.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/179258/ved_administration.pdf.pdf
  • rich13348
    rich13348 Posts: 840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ok typed in reg on that site and it was due Oct 1st. So what do I do now?

Tax it using the number on the V5C document right before you send it off to change the address to your new one.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I did this a few years ago, you cant tax it after a gap without having a SORN number - copy one from some fool who posts it on the web on a car site somewhere and tax it double quick. I got away with it, if not the fine is horrendous. You can't just pay the back tax to the start of the month.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Think I should have paid for it in September. I wasn't sent a reminder in the post or an email that I noticed. How do I check? What are the consequences? What do I do? So much going on in life and the sticker in the dashboard isn't used anymore so difficult to remember.

Don't worry, no need to pay "road tax", as it was abolished in 1936 and doesn't exist.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • JohnM5206
    JohnM5206 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Don't worry, no need to pay "road tax", as it was abolished in 1936 and doesn't exist.
    It is on the way back though:
    Road tax is back – Chancellor announces Vehicle Excise Duty reforms that will see money raised reserved for road improvements
  • rich13348 wrote: »
    Tax it using the number on the V5C document right before you send it off to change the address to your new one.

is that the green form thingee that comes with your licence? Ok will change that. And what's the link to pay the tax online? Also, can't I just go to post office and pay it with my licence or maybe go to old address and find the letter if it's still there?
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    JohnM5206 wrote: »
    It is on the way back though:
    Road tax is back – Chancellor announces Vehicle Excise Duty reforms that will see money raised reserved for road improvements

Only for Englandshire and perhaps Waleshire - Scotlandshire and N Irelandshire are not to get any.

How the (dis)United Kingdom is going to implement this great idea hasn't been fully explained yet.

I think it's just more false promises.
  • rich13348 wrote: »

Is that the SORN number?
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is that the SORN number?

Statuatory Off road notice.
    Have you taxed the car online yet ?
    I got my reminder a month before the current one expired.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure