ESA WRAG job centre harassing" in the interim ?, allowed ? thanks for any help

hello,

i am in the wrag group, thus having to goto to "work focused interviews".

i am finding the process negative for health, but have been reluctantly agreeing to the activity (vs. being sanctioned...)

last time, having agreed to carrears advice in november (having had the woman told me, she was going to upload my cv to the "job match website"...).

she has now (approximately 1 month before agreead november appointment), starting ringing my family phone, leaving messages with my family to be passed on to me etc ("harrassing by proxy").

please can anybody tell me if they are in their right to do this ? (away from designated / agreed times with no prior notification, leaving messages with people who are not me, when i have already agreed to something in the future)

thanks for any help or advice.

Comments

• dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    What are the messages?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    How did she get the phone number?

Did she agree that the only activity you have to do is attend a careers interview? Surely you would still have to do something else in the interim?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Without knowing the actual content of the calls it's not possible to say whether it is harrassment or not. If they are calling either to provide or gather information prior to your appointment then I don't see the problem.
    You are in the Work Related Activity Group because you are expected to undertake activities related to preparing you for returning to work, the clue is in the name. The whole ethos behind ESA is to get people back into the workplace, not remaining forever on benefit.
  • Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    Bananas123 wrote: »
    hello,

i am in the wrag group, thus having to goto to "work focused interviews".

i am finding the process negative for health, but have been reluctantly agreeing to the activity (vs. being sanctioned...)

last time, having agreed to carrears advice in november (having had the woman told me, she was going to upload my cv to the "job match website"...).

she has now (approximately 1 month before agreead november appointment), starting ringing my family phone, leaving messages with my family to be passed on to me etc ("harrassing by proxy").

please can anybody tell me if they are in their right to do this ? (away from designated / agreed times with no prior notification, leaving messages with people who are not me, when i have already agreed to something in the future)

thanks for any help or advice.

Why give them a phone number lots of other people answer if you didnt want the job centre to contact you via the phone or leave messages?

They are within their rights to phone on a number you've given and as you've given no details of the calls its not harassment.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    It could be argued that they shouldn't leave messages with a 3rd party. However, if the OP is never the person to answer the phone, they may believe they are being helpful by doing so. If the OP doesn't want messages left with other people he/she needs to let ESA know that.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    The message could be as simple as "Please tell him I called and could he ring back". It's really hard to leave voicemail for someone if the phone gets answered!
  • Gpod
    Gpod Posts: 27 Forumite
    Bananas123 wrote: »

Is the careers adviser a Jobcentre employee or employed as a DWP provider?

Either way, you should write to the JC, or the provider, and state that you do not consent to being contacted by phone, and that you withdraw any implied consent to contact you by phone which may have been given when you provided your phone number. You could also add that you wish to be contacted by post only.
  • Unless you know what the calls are about, you cannot claim harassment. Could they, perhaps, be calling to rearrange or change the location?

Simple resolution to this is to call them back, and find out what they want, and deal with it before hysterically accusing them of 'harassment' or 'harassment by proxy'.

And yes - they have a right to call you. Multiple times if you don't have the courtesy to call them back.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Gpod wrote: »
    Is the careers adviser a Jobcentre employee or employed as a DWP provider?

Either way, you should write to the JC, or the provider, and state that you do not consent to being contacted by phone, and that you withdraw any implied consent to contact you by phone which may have been given when you provided your phone number. You could also add that you wish to be contacted by post only.

Right... so if there was an issue with the payment of benefit then the o/p would be happy to wait for the post?
  • I think you maybe worded your title wrong from reading under the lines I think the problem is you feel you are being pressured to do things you aren't ready to do. I would explain to the adviser how this is effecting your health and the reasons why you don't feel ready yet. It seems to be a bit of hit and miss regarding how people on the wrag are treated and what they can and can't ask you to do. I have been really fortunate and had a great adviser at the job center who explained fully the ins and outs of what happens next. I Have never been contacted by phone it is always letter and a text message reminder. I attend workshops with an outside provider (ingeus) 2 - 3 times a week by choice not sure if this has any bearing on the fact there not constantly on my case plus I really do find it helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure