Cowboy Builders - Website created to name and shame!

Comments

• Hi Everyone

Never posted on a site before but feel so angry that the above builder has conned my ill mum out of £1500.00 for materials to start a job but never came back once given the cash. This was in October and apart from a mobile number, can't trace him. All calls now go to a voicemail.

He adverises via leaflets in the SW London, Croydon and Crystal Palace areas. Also said he does work in the Gloucestershire and Kent areas. Leaflets are in light pink with dark pink writing. We can't find details of his company on the net and have no address for him. So can't take him to a small claims court and as my mum paid cash, can't prove that he was given the money.

I want to warn other people not to trust this cowboy. He is very persuasive and once realised that my mum was living on her own, saw her as an easy target.

Feel so angry.

Geri
  • mel48rose
    mel48rose Posts: 513 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Total Trade Services (Wales) now tading as Tempo Energy Services absolutely appalling company. Contracted to replace my boiler recently. 2 day job turned into around 4-6 wks. Leaks, damage, theft. had to go thru my MP to get thr job finished. Employ total cowboys. Communication is horrendous!
    Avoid like the plague.
    If you change nothing, nothing will change!!
  • Hi
    This is my first time on this forum and I want to warn others not to use the above builder as he conned £1500.00 in cash from my ill mum for materials to do a job and then vanished. We only have a mobile number to go on and all calls are going to a voicemail. Needless to say he doesn't return any calls.
    M.M. Buildering Services advertises through leaflets in the SW London, Croydon and Crystal Palace areas. He reassured my mum that he was a genuine builder and that he also does a lot of work in the Kent area. Leaflets are a light pink with dark pink writing.
    Once he realised my mum was living alone and recovering from an illness, he used his charm and persuasion to make her part with her cash.
    We contacted the police but because my mum paid in cash and didn't get a receipt, we can't prove that she gave him the money. Can't find an address for him, doesn't adertise on the internet and is not registered at Companies House either.

Would be grateful for any info or advice in tracking him down. My mum blames herself for being too trusting and not checking out references etc before giving him the money.

If nothing else, My mum and I want to warn others of her experience at the hands of this unscrupulous man.

Geri
  • nads205
    nads205 Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2012 at 8:43PM
    What does everyone think to creating a website to list these companies/individuals? People can upload a photo of the builder or their workmanship? I do not think if such a thing exists already?

With my guy at least I can take it to the next stage - some of the stories here the guy has done a runner. Shocking.
  • Herongull
    Herongull Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You got into this mess due a very strong recommendation from a relative.

Could this relative be involved? Sorry to have to suggest this, but it is strange that he recommended them so strongly.
  • How will you make sure that vindictive customers aren't just posting to drag down a business that has worked hard but has a genuine dispute with the customer?
    i before e, except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
  • nads205
    Herongull wrote: »
    You got into this mess due a very strong recommendation from a relative.

Could this relative be involved? Sorry to have to suggest this, but it is strange that he recommended them so strongly.

That's a very important point - I went on a recommendation. My relative as away on holiday at the moment so I can't pull him up on it.

Having said that I did ask him to go to site and have a word with the builder and he returned saying I was trying to be a "perfectionist". Thankfully the photos don't lie and people can make their own mind up if they think the workmanship is correct (I will have to instruct a Chartered Surveyor and perform an independent report at some point)

But even when he returns what can he do? He can't go and make the guy become competent at building work over night? I will have to not go on his advice any more in the future.

I wasn't going to use this company as I preferred the other company - he talked me into it.
  • nads205
    missesther wrote: »
    How will you make sure that vindictive customers aren't just posting to drag down a business that has worked hard but has a genuine dispute with the customer?

Good point. How would this be achieved?
  • Get a bunch of mates gathered round to one of their addresses, and phone them up telling them you want a new kitchen fitted. Once they arrive, lock the door :)
  • gerimurphy wrote: »
    Hi
    This is my first time on this forum and I want to warn others not to use the above builder as he conned £1500.00 in cash from my ill mum for materials to do a job and then vanished. We only have a mobile number to go on and all calls are going to a voicemail. Needless to say he doesn't return any calls.
    M.M. Buildering Services advertises through leaflets in the SW London, Croydon and Crystal Palace areas. He reassured my mum that he was a genuine builder and that he also does a lot of work in the Kent area. Leaflets are a light pink with dark pink writing.
    Once he realised my mum was living alone and recovering from an illness, he used his charm and persuasion to make her part with her cash.
    We contacted the police but because my mum paid in cash and didn't get a receipt, we can't prove that she gave him the money. Can't find an address for him, doesn't adertise on the internet and is not registered at Companies House either.

Would be grateful for any info or advice in tracking him down. My mum blames herself for being too trusting and not checking out references etc before giving him the money.

If nothing else, My mum and I want to warn others of her experience at the hands of this unscrupulous man.

Geri

Geri - can we get a copy of that leaflet so that others can see it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure