How soon should I report accident?

I had an accident today whilst driving my wifes car (I am a named driver on her policy) where I went into the back of someone. We exchanged details and the other partys car just had a couple of light scratches at the bottom whereas my wifes car has a bent bonnet, broken light and damage to the front bumper.

I got the impression for the other party that she wasn't too bothered (although I need to confirm whether she's going to report to her insurance co), however, as my wifes policy has a £650 excess, I want to see how much it will cost to privately fix it first.

Is there a general rule where accidents have to be reported in x number of days?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    The general rule is "as soon as possible"

Some insurers put a time limit on it.

See what your policy says.
  • You'll also need to tell your own insurance too.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You must report it straight away, regardless of whether you are going to make a claim or not. I don't know your policy but any delay over 24hrs would be hard to justify
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do I really need to tell the insurance co if I don't intend to claim (and if the other party doesn't).

Why do I also need to tell my own insurance company?
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes, according to the T&Cs of all insurance policies I have ever read.

You may get away with not reporting it, but if the other party reports it and it goes on the database your insurance company might find out.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Quentin
    gazfocus wrote: »
    Do I really need to tell the insurance co if I don't intend to claim (and if the other party doesn't).

Q1 You breach the policy conditions if you don't

Q2 You agreed to when taking out the policy (read up in your policy conditions)
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    gazfocus wrote: »

There is a possibility that she will tell someone about the accident and they'll suggest that she has whiplash.

There is also a possibility that she will get a random call from an ambulance chaser at any time over the next 3 years and an injury claim will follow.
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Quentin wrote: »
    Q1 You breach the policy conditions if you don't

Q2 You agreed to when taking out the policy (read up in your policy conditions)

I don't understand what it has to do with my own insurance company if I'm a named driver on my wifes policy (I'm not being difficult, it's a genuine query).
  • Quentin
    Your insurer needs to know your history so that they can assess the risk you present. (And as previously posted, it will be included in the policy conditions - if you don't comply, you breach the policy and run the risk of them voiding it)

You would also have to inform any other insurers you were covered with as a named driver.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If there are no injuries, the police does not care, it's just between you and the other driver.

If your tree falls and smashes the neighbour's fence, you can just pay for the fence, there is no reason to go through liability insurance. If the tree injures the neighbour, of course you call the insurance company.

There are plenty of people who claim directly with the other party's insurer because if they go through their own insurance company, their premium will go up next year.

Since it's your bonnet, i.e. front of the car, it's likely to be your fault. Just offer some cash settlement, but get a signed letter from the other driver that it is full and final settlement for the incident.

I find the design of cars perplexing. If a fairground bumper car can smash into each other all day with no ill effects, how come ordinary cars need so much fixing up? I had a frontal collision a few years ago. A car rushed out from a side road. I smashed into the passenger door square on. The tracker device confirms I was only doing 20 miles per hour, and it was entirely the other driver's fault. The insurer appointed crash repairer charged ~£1,000 including VAT for the job.

If you have to pay out £200 compensation to the other driver, and pay £800 for repairs, I would settle privately. If you report it, your premium WILL go up, since you are at fault.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure