Won my ESA appeal, What happens with backdated money?

Comments

• Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,724
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    mattyell85 wrote: »
    tribunal was 3 weeks ago now...still aint heard anything with regards money going back up or backdated money...you try and ring and can never get through....how long does it normally take to recieve something from them?

Probably weeks for them to sort it out... sadly they can be very inefficient. Keep checking your bank account and if you can get through to confirm they have received the tribunal decision and 'push them along' then so the better.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Muttleythefrog
    Forumite
    Ambra wrote: »
    I too have just won my tribunal. I have never received any payment and so will the benefit be backdated the 18 months it has taken to get to court and win my case?

No money? Most people claim assessment rate ESA while appealing... I hope you've not been left without income for that long.

Anyway... they will backdate any monies owed to either the beginning of week 14 of the claim if this is a new claim or otherwise to the date of the original decision to fail you on the WCA.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • AMBRA

I dont want to worry you but as far as I understand it - ESA is paid from the start of a claim, not once you have had a medical.

If you have been awarded contributions based ESA and do not satisfy the contributions test, you will not be paid ESA regardless of whether you have won your medical assessment. You will only be awarded a stamp towards your future state pension.

I would suggest you contact ESA and ask them to clarify if you are claiming ESA contributions based or income based.

If you live with a partner who works certain hours or have another income/capital above certain thresholds, you will only be eligible for ESA contributions.

To satisfy the contributions test you must have worked/earnd/paid national insurance contributions. They look back at a couple of years I think. If you google 'ESA contributions test' it should explain how they decide.

My partner is awarded ESA Contributions, but as she has claimed for more than 12 months, her claim will cease to be paid as new ESA rules put a 12 month limit on ESA contribution claims. This rule change comes in 01/04/12.

Good luck.
  • Probably weeks for them to sort it out... sadly they can be very inefficient. Keep checking your bank account and if you can get through to confirm they have received the tribunal decision and 'push them along' then so the better.
    I also won at appeal and am still waiting 4 weeks on, they are now insisting on another sick note from me even though they received all appeal paperwork in Feb. They said yesterday another 4 to 6 weeks before money is paid to me !!!! It seems we have to be patient but they expect you to get to your gp , send in sick notes the same day !!!! If you ring to jog them along a bit ask for a call back from them , they have to return call within 4 or 5 working hours .
  • My appeal was set for the 9th March 2012 but on the 5th they rang me to say a revised decision had been made and that I had been awarded 31 points. I later received a letter explaining that I would be receiving a payment of areas totaling £921.38 however that was over 5 weeks ago and despite numerous calls to them nothing up to now, does anyone know how long it usually takes ?
  • love78
    love78 Posts: 23 Forumite
    i am having the same trouble..no letter to tell me what group iam in..when i ring them i have no straight answers they have told me they recived my tribunal letter on the 4-7-2012 but cant tell me when i will be paid etc ..very annoying
  • Muttleythefrog
    Forumite
    love78 wrote: »
    i am having the same trouble..no letter to tell me what group iam in..when i ring them i have no straight answers they have told me they recived my tribunal letter on the 4-7-2012 but cant tell me when i will be paid etc ..very annoying

Hopefully they'll sort it out soon. The DWP will almost certainly act on the tribunal decision soon... if you need clarification on what group the tribunal recommends then it might be worth quoting the contents of your tribunal decision notice. The DWP are extremely poor in communicating important ESA information.. you may never get a letter exlicitly giving the group you've been placed in although you should at some point get a 'this is what we are going to pay you' type letter that will have the information on it in obscure fashion.
  • love78
    iam currently waiting on a call back..one office says they have had my letter the other says it hasnt..i was asked to fax a copy of my tribunal form and then told they cant use it just incase i have made the letter my self and signed he judges names lol....they dont like telling you information....will keep you posted
  • love78
    well recived my call back..from a lovely lady ( first time i said tha lol )...she said tha my paper work is in the tray waiting for the decision maker to look at it..shes said they r very back logged but have recemtly taken in extra help to help cover the back log they have....she aslo said that they just finished processing july,s allowed tribunals and will be starting on junes next wk...she was very sympathetic with me but did say tha it could still take a while and would get the payents department to ring me when they have made a payment decision
  • love78
    well had a phone call and the decision makers have finally approved my trinubal and passed it on to the payments section...dont know how long tha takes but getting closer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure