Return to work credit..will it be stopped?

At the end of May I started working on a part time basis. I lost my last job through ill health and after two years sick I finally managed to find an employer willing to take me on. I work 25 hrs a week and earn around £10,000 per annum. Prior to that I was on £18,000 for three days a week so though it is a drop, I'm just grateful for the chance.

I qualified for the RTWC and it started going into my bank a few weeks ago. I received a letter asking that at week 10 I provide 2 wage slips to show my income. My problem is that my first four weeks were full time as it is a mandatory training course and my earnings before tax were £1330. I have returned to what will be my normal work pattern and will get £874 at the end of this month.

Can anyone advise me if the fact that I earned more the first month will mean that my payments will stop? I'm still not going to earn over the £15,000 qualifying amount as there will be no more extra hours. I'm worried sick as the RTWC was the only reason I took the job. As it stands my wage just covers my mortgage, council tax, travel etc. The £40 a week makes a world of a difference. I will be okay after my years probation as I then go on to £13,000 but if my RTWC stops before then I will end up back on benefits as it's just not feasible to carry on.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• cozza
    cozza Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hi ya when i started work i also did 2 weeks traing so my first wage slip was high but it didnt make any diffrence as they didnt stop myn which i still get till jan 2011
  • Vivienne1
    Vivienne1 Posts: 7 Forumite
    cozza wrote: »
    hi ya when i started work i also did 2 weeks traing so my first wage slip was high but it didnt make any diffrence as they didnt stop myn which i still get till jan 2011

That's very reasssuring. Thanks for replying. I really want to hang on to this job as it's really hard to find an employer who'll take a chance on someone with a medical history so fingers crossed.
  • rushofblood
    rushofblood Posts: 14 Forumite
    Vivienne1 when your evidence is checked it should be average out over the period of your payslips, that's how I do it when I do payslip checks for Return to Work Credit.

If you are unsure then call the team that deal with your RTWC and they should tell you the same.

Also it may be worth including a letter from your employer showing that you are in suitable employment, i.e. that you are employed to do X amount of hours & get paid X amount per hour/month.

That is acceptable evidence under the guidance for the first mandatory check for Return to Work Credit if your paid monthly and only have one payslip available.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    I was self employed when on RTWC and my income was all over the shop. The main thing is that you don't exceed the £15000 annual wage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure