AVRO Energy false prices advertised

Comments

• cifpower - Maybe if people actually read & understood what was being said to them in plain English I wouldn't have to dumb it down to waffle & wouldn't have to make ad hominem attacks. I can only put it in idiot proof terms so many times. The below may clear this up for you (or not).

As said multiple times I haven't been furnished with a welcome pack or terms & conditions so do not know anything about their standing charges. I haven't got that far with them? Do you understand? Simply at the quote stage?

If they hadn't changed the quote simply because I use less fuel than I originally quoted them I would have chased them for a welcome pack (if not received soon) & carefully read through it. This is not a terms & conditions issue at this point.

I have since found another supplier who has also quoted me £62 per month & have successfully signed up with them without a hitch.

molerat sorry for not addressing your previous response. Yours is so far the most intelligent response. That's not me talking down to you by any means. What you say is possible I guess but surely their quote system & Martin's Energy Saving quote system should reflect that.
    Otherwise like I say its false advertising. Quote one price to attract people in & then increase the price when the customer applies.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    But the price of xx pounds per year is not a quote . Its an estimate of your costs based upon estimated usage .
    Your £62 per month you have changed to is not a be all and end all figure just an estimate .
    You will pay more or less dependent upon your usage .Once more the key is the actual charges .

But i am in agreement with you on one point .
    I believe that the system should be geared up to the lowest common denominator and make it easy for the clueless to understand .
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    MITCH -come back in 12 months time and tell us how much you paid in the 12 months.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Mitch, I've just registered with Avro last week and I got my welcome pack attached as a PDF to the "Welcome" email that invited me to set up my account on their website (I missed it at first and thought it would be in a separate email).
  • I think it’s fairly obvious to all concerned that the £62 is a quote & what I actually pay over the 12 months will vary dependent on use. I have already pointed out that I am aware of this but some of you still keep harping on about it like it is the cause of the issue.

If my quote jumps by £20 (like it did) my Direct Debit jumps by £20. Yes, I may (most likely will) get my money back further down the line.

Why should I accept an increase in my initial monthly payment based on the fact that I use less gas & electricity?
    I presently pay £59 per month with my existing supplier & my account is in credit. They will be sending me a cheque when I leave them.

Bottom line is you can't quote someone £62 (which dictates the amount of your monthly Direct Debit for potentially your first 6 months) & then when you find out that customers is actually going to use a little less gas & electricity increase the quote & subsequently the monthly Direct Debit to £82!
    If they are front loading quotes based on us running up to winter, that should be detailed on MSE & their own website.

What they are doing IS false advertising 101.

There has been so many smug self-assured replies to this thread suggesting that the entire situation has been caused by me not understanding Avro or how energy is billed. A lot of the responses look like they have come from a very badly trained customer service department.
    Not suggesting that MSE employs anyone to monitor the forum, intervene or steer the conversation in a desired direction. I know (1st hand) that most large companies have been doing that now for at least 6 years with forums & social media, but like I say I’m sure that is not the case here at MSE. Obviously. It’s more than likely just some forum member just getting the wrong end of the stick.
    Probably over exhausted from helping so many other users.

There has since been another thread started by another user showing that Avro pricing no longer matches the pricing of MSE so I am not alone.

I would like to add that Avro have not contacted me by telephone or replied to my emails so they appear to be falling apart at the seams.

MothballsW -* thanks for the response. I did receive an email from them asking me to set up a password when I initially applied to join them. I have double checked the email. There is no pdf file attached.
    When I log onto their system it shows a diagram of their switching process & where I am in the process. I'm one step behind being sent a welcome pack (apparently) !
  • Well Mitch it's probably better that you choose another company before you realise that Avro start the DDs two weeks before the supply starts, this is well documented by them. I have been with them for 18 months and this is a small price to pay for the savings I have made. I have even recently made a cost free switch from one fixed tariff to another that has just been announced saving me another £70 pa.
  • Kiwi_g
    Kiwi_g Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I agree with cranford. I've been with Avro for over a year. To get the price, one needs to be proactive and always keep an eye on energy prices even when one's contract is not up for renewal. I changed my contract with them 3 months ago and then I saw that there was a newer deal which was cheaper and so I fixed my prices for the year. I also had a credit and this seemed to have been factored into the monthly DD for the next 12 months. The estimated annual consumption less the credit is around one twelfth on the monthly DD. Yes, I do have some issues with Avro but if one is willing to send them monthly meter readings it works well.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 October 2017 at 11:01AM
    You say you are needing to dumb down, but don't seem to get the replies.

You did not sign up to an agreement that would only charge your £62 per month by DD, you signed up to an agreement that you are charged standing fees and pay for the fuel you use at a defined unit cost. It was sent on the welcome pack, tariff information is given in the CEC and also on Avro website. You do know what tariff you are on? Unit costs are published publicly and are available.

See: https://www.avroenergy.co.uk/Prices

Remember they change tariffs every so often so the tariff shown on CEC may well be different (just very similarly named) to the one you signed up for. It is NOT that they are changing tariff after you have signed up but changing the one on offer for people who signed up after you.

The £62pm was an estimate, if you use more over the year you pay more, if you use less, you pay less. They have looked at previous usage and are setting the DD accordingly - why are they asking you for statements, because you are disputing their usage figures. IF your statements over the last 12 months back your estimates that were used for the CEC they may well put the DD down (the caveat being some smaller suppliers have a higher DD over winter to reflect higher winter use to ensure no large deficits), if not then thats why they are charging higher..
    Would you prefer it they keep at £62, then in a year when you are looking to move they tell you that you owe £240 than needs paying first, I'm sure then you would be moaning they are not allowing you to leave!
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    As a counter to this post; I'm 1 week from switching & my first DD was exactly as stated on MSE.

Most likely your figures weren't accurate enough. I used my figures from the year before (not the current year coming to an end)...maybe you did it based on the current 12 months instead (which still isn't finished)?
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £900 | Current accounts: 11
    Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • Another heads up on Avro - they are very small and don’t know the law. They are blocking us from changing suppliers away from them in our property having just moved in. They say since the previous tenants didn’t pay the bill they are applying for a warrant to cut off the supply to the house! We have small children - they don’t care! Anyway we’ve taken legal advice and raised to the ombudsman just for others considering Avro - please don’t! Cheap doesn’t always mean good!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure