Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pjbltd
    • By pjbltd 19th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    • 212Posts
    • 102Thanks
    pjbltd
    Aircon impact property price?
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    Aircon impact property price? 19th Jun 17 at 8:31 PM
    Hi guys,

I am considering installing a WATER COOLED INTERNAL AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS in my 1 bed flat:

http://www.coolyoudirect.co.uk/solutions/water-cooled-air-conditioning/

The flat is very well insulated so great for Winter but becomes boiling hot in weather like now!

Would installing this negatively impact the resale value of my flat?

Thanks,
    pjbltd
    Last edited by pjbltd; 19-06-2017 at 11:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Page 1
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 19th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    • 6,699 Posts
    • 47,267 Thanks
    kerri gt
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    From a buyers persepctive I wonuldnt not buy a property if the air con were the only factor but I do find the units intrusive and ugly, so it wouldn't be my first choice when looking for a property. Given the relatively few days we get really really hot weather, would a portable air con unit be suitable for your flat if you're considering selling in the future?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 19th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    • 9,049 Posts
    • 11,968 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    .......The flat is very well insulted so..........
    Originally posted by pjbltd
    Bit rude, eh??
    • boliston
    • By boliston 19th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 1,990 Thanks
    boliston
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    how much water does it use?
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 19th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 484 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    Tiexen
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    That's more than double the price of a conventional A/C system - and you need to find out running costs:

Water-cooled air conditioners, however, are plumbed directly into your mains water supply and use cold water to cool the system via internal pipes. Although the release of water is controlled, water-cooled air conditioners are still more expensive to run than traditional ‘split’ air conditioners.

Despite these extra running costs, water-cooled air cons are often the only air conditioning solution when systems with external condensers are not viable. It is, for this reason, they are called
    ‘air conditioners of last resort’.
    • pjbltd
    • By pjbltd 19th Jun 17, 11:57 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    pjbltd
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:57 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:57 PM
    That's more than double the price of a conventional A/C system - and you need to find out running costs:

Water-cooled air conditioners, however, are plumbed directly into your mains water supply and use cold water to cool the system via internal pipes. Although the release of water is controlled, water-cooled air conditioners are still more expensive to run than traditional ‘split’ air conditioners.

Despite these extra running costs, water-cooled air cons are often the only air conditioning solution when systems with external condensers are not viable. It is, for this reason, they are called
    ‘air conditioners of last resort’.
    Originally posted by Tiexen
    Do you mean a conventional AC system with an outside condenser? We are not allowed to do any external works so I think this is the only solution.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 20th Jun 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 4,461 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 20th Jun 17, 9:45 AM
    • 20th Jun 17, 9:45 AM
    HThe flat is very well insulated so great for Winter but becomes boiling hot in weather like now!
    Originally posted by pjbltd
    Isn't insulation supposed to make it cooler in hot weather?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 20th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 6,089 Posts
    • 5,840 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 20th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 20th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    Originally posted by Penitent
    I was wondering about that too. I suppose at least it should make it cheaper to run the aircon.
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 20th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    • 20th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    • 20th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    Insulation will slow down the heating up of the dwelling in hot weather, but it will still eventually get hot.

The main problem is that the combination of insulation and air tightness for modern dwellings also slows down the cooling over night when it's cooler outside, so once they get hot it takes longer for them to cool down again.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Jun 17, 12:10 PM
    • 8,517 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    teddysmum

My son's newbuild house is well insulated and the bedrooms are unbearably hot in summer. A few weeks ago, when evening temperatures were confortable his downstairs temperature was over 28 degrees.

In winter, the insulation may save on heating , but I find the house uncomfortable because the mandatory vents cause cold currents.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    • 8,517 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I wonder how quite this system really is ,as we had one of the 'quiet' potables a couple of years ago (it failed after 12 months,we had a refund and saw no need to replace just for a few days a year), which meant the tv volume had to be increased in order to hear speech. It did feel lovely though, on very hot days.
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 20th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    how much water does it use?
    Originally posted by boliston
    There's no mention anywhere on the website (that I can see) ... which probably isn't a good sign!
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 20th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 4,461 Thanks
    Penitent
    Well, that's put me off getting our concrete house insulated. It would be nice to have less heat loss in the winter, but if it's going to make it even hotter in the summer, we can't have it (it's bad enough now). I was told it would make it cooler.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 20th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    If it wasn't there, they wouldn't know it gets really hot in summer.

When people see it they will realise that it must get really hot in summer and they will either have to pay to maintain and run the AC and keep cool, or get really hot.

So I can't see anyone doing anything other than paying less for the flat than they would without A/C.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 20th Jun 17, 2:31 PM
    • 8,273 Posts
    • 27,699 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I'd be slightly put off a house with air conditioning installed. It would just be another thing that could break and need repairing, or removing, and I'd have no idea how much that would cost or what damage it would do to the d!cor to remove all the units.
    We get maybe three non-continuous weeks of really hot weather every summer, which I've never felt is enough to warrant getting permanent air conditioning installed.
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 20th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 484 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    Tiexen
    I'd be slightly put off a house with air conditioning installed. It would just be another thing that could break and need repairing, or removing, and I'd have no idea how much that would cost or what damage it would do to the d!cor to remove all the units.
    We get maybe three non-continuous weeks of really hot weather every summer, which I've never felt is enough to warrant getting permanent air conditioning installed.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Its not expensive to run (i'm talking about the proper split electric system)- and it heats as well (1/3rd the price of electric heaters) and its as reliable as your fridge, because thats all it is a pump and a fan.
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 20th Jun 17, 2:56 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    Well, that's put me off getting our concrete house insulated. It would be nice to have less heat loss in the winter, but if it's going to make it even hotter in the summer, we can't have it (it's bad enough now). I was told it would make it cooler.
    The maximum temperature you experience in the house is not likely to change with insulation - it's just that it takes longer to heat up (which is great if the hot spell is only a day or two), and it takes longer to cool down once it's hot. It's definitely better at dealing with the odd hot day.

I've seen a lot of misleading adverts stating that insulation will make houses cooler - it does for a short period, but it's only delaying the heat transfer from outside to inside, not stopping it completely. The idea is that as it might take 12 hours to transfer heat through, by then it is a cool night and open windows will allow the heat to be removed. If it's still hot at night, and there's no breeze, then this isn't going to happen.

Don't forget that we have a lot more cold days than hot days, so it's not really a reason not to get the house insulated - it's just that the sales people shouldn't be misleading you with this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,469Posts Today

8,318Users online

Martin's Twitter