Walk 1000 miles

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    I'm a 2000 miler, but thought I'd pop by. Well done on the average 10,000 steps. I'm comitted to 10,000+ every day - going all right so far, though one particular night saw me walking the hall and kitchen for the last 300 steps:o:rotfl:

I suppose if you wanted to join the other thread for company and declare yourself as a 1000 miler, it would be fine - I don't think it's strict!:D

Hope the injury continues to heal well.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,607 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks
    I too have gone back downstairs for some 'I have forgotten' just to get the total to tick over :) Round numbers just look better!
    I would like to get to 10,000 every day but it is a challenge with a busy life so it is more like 8,000 on a weekday and 14,000 at weekends right now. Once I am running again it will get better.
    I am being strict about the 1,000 miles and using a separate Hike app on my watch to measure that so I actually have to go out and 'walk' rather than just pootle around the house.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I agree with Bugs, you should join the walk 2000 thread .... I am logging mine on there and I am not even measuring walking. Not that I am doing any big mileage just yet.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Well on my way now, on 71 miles today. I am sticking to the 3 miles per day, and adding a few half day and whole day walks in as well. As soon as we get longer days and the weather improves, I shall be doing some multi-day long walks.

I am using bikehike.co.uk to calculate and check my distances.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What a great idea, I was diagnosed with cancer last Christmas and weighed 14st 12lbs as an average, generally fit, active. After treatment and the cancer diet ; ) I came out of it in June/July 2016 following treatments and finally an operation weighing around 12st and a couple of pounds, but struggled to walk round the house.
    Since September when returning to work I walk a total of 4 miles per day to work and back.
    Weekends I try and do a good Sunday walk, canal paths etc and for the last three months trying to complete 10k steps a day. I am now 11st 4lb and really love my walking, my stamina has improved, I am beating the fatigue, also I bought a Garmin Fenix3 watch, and record everything, download and look at my results, I feel really motivated and enjoy walking, just wish the footpath system was easier to find and plan. Looking back seeing how I carried an extra 3 1/2 stone around was quite sobering, im so pleased with my fitness, I will definitely sign up to this and hopefully will be around to see the results
  • indesisiv
    Weekends I try and do a good Sunday walk, canal paths etc and for the last three months trying to complete 10k steps a day. I am now 11st 4lb and really love my walking, my stamina has improved, I am beating the fatigue, also I bought a Garmin Fenix3 watch, and record everything, download and look at my results, I feel really motivated and enjoy walking, just wish the footpath system was easier to find and plan. Looking back seeing how I carried an extra 3 1/2 stone around was quite sobering, im so pleased with my fitness, I will definitely sign up to this and hopefully will be around to see the results

You can use the navigation on your fenix 3 to route yourself. I use mine all the time when I am running so I don't need to worry about routes.
    If you use plotaroute to draw out your route (Put it in path view) you can then download as a gpx track. You can then import that track into garmin basecamp and use that to send it to your fenix 3.
    Then once on your watch go into navigation - select courses - then select your route and follow the line. :)
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    indesisiv wrote: »
    You can use the navigation on your fenix 3 to route yourself. I use mine all the time when I am running so I don't need to worry about routes.
    If you use plotaroute to draw out your route (Put it in path view) you can then download as a gpx track. You can then import that track into garmin basecamp and use that to send it to your fenix 3.
    Then once on your watch go into navigation - select courses - then select your route and follow the line. :)

Thanks, the watch is pretty complicated for a novice but I do want to learn to put in routes and then try and find local authority footpaths to use so that I can get away from traffic etc, thanks again, I will certainly look at the basecamp app
  • indesisiv
    Thanks, the watch is pretty complicated for a novice but I do want to learn to put in routes and then try and find local authority footpaths to use so that I can get away from traffic etc, thanks again, I will certainly look at the basecamp app

Basecamp is a horrible app that's why I only use it to send routes to my watch. If you get stuck then I can try and help. I do use my fenix 3 a lot for this sort of stuff.
    Also I really would use the plotaroute website to find paths. Its pretty good.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Ilona wrote: »
    Well on my way now, on 71 miles today. I am sticking to the 3 miles per day, and adding a few half day and whole day walks in as well. As soon as we get longer days and the weather improves, I shall be doing some multi-day long walks.

I am using bikehike.co.uk to calculate and check my distances.

Ilona

Two more walks to go to the end of the month. I set a mini challenge of 100 miles in January, and I am on target to get there. I will keep posting here, as I don't have the time to double up and go for the 2000 miles.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,607 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I reached 87.7 by the end of week 4 so I am slightly ahead of schedule. I have managed to average 10,000 steps a day.
    February is a bit of an unknown with a week's holiday which will probably be fairly active (as long as it isn't too hot), followed by 3 nights/4 days in a hotel so I might need to hit the treadmill there. No dog walking for a fortnight :(
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure