Music Magpie: new quick way to sell unwanted CDs

Comments

• NickiM
    NickiM Posts: 712 Forumite
    Has anyone got any payment from this site?

Currently have 14 CDs for £15.15
  • NickiM
    On their site, it says:

When will I get my money?
    - We shall dispatch payment within 3 days of delivery of the CDs to musicmagpie, by cheque. Please bear in mind that we use a FREEPOST service which is not a priority service, and can take between 5 – 10 working days to be delivered to us.
  • NickiM
    Hmm, I just logged on and found a CD in my basket which I had definitely not added. (I'd not even browsed other CDs).

All the same, an extra £20 sounds good, just waiting for people to have received money.
  • some very poor sums of money offered.

and look at the mark up they sell them on for.

does that not suggest there is a market willing to pay a lot more for them?

i personally could never sell my cd collection. i have all my CD's saved to a hard drive in FLAC lossless format, also have these backed up on DVDs but you never know when you may need the originals again!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
  • lauzjp
    lauzjp Posts: 415 Forumite
    NickiM wrote: »
    Hmm, I just logged on and found a CD in my basket which I had definitely not added. (I'd not even browsed other CDs).

I was browsing their games site and ended up with an extra one in the basket!? weird. I didn't chance buying anything off there in the end!
  • Update from my previous post, All the CDs i sent are now showing as accepted on site; so looking promising.

I think the prices they offer are fair, ok very low.... BUT wouldnt get a lot more at a carboot (when eventualy sell) if put on ebay have all the fees to deal with, if do nothing they will continue to take space up doing nothing gathering dust. Game i bought was probabley somebody elses clutter gathering dust, and lad had loads a fun from it already ( any alleged dust was removed before we recieved it! )
    Nope.... Still cant think of owt interesting to put here.
  • I used them in June (had a big clearout). My email questions were dealt with very promptly (at one point I was exchanging 'real time' emails with someone in customer services), but it did take some time to get the cheques. I think this may depend on the number of CDs in the transaction, as they test them all before accepting.

Yes, the money they offer isn't great, but you can upload the details whilst watching tv (no chilly car boot sale for me!), and they supply the packaging (Jiffy bags) with prepaid postage (so much easier than selling on ebay).
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    It doesn't want any of mine or can't find them - they're all artists everyone would have heard of but obviously no-one wants!
  • I would warn everyone that this is an unsustainable business model. Most common CDs are available for 1p from Amazon, which has incredible marketing power when compared with Music Magpie.

They will very quickly get up to their threshold stock levels, and will need to turn over sales in order to pay for the product they have 'bought'. I don't see this company lasting long.

If you own CD's, it's best to believe they have little or no value unless they are early, rare or limited in some way that makes them sought-after. Sad but true.

Matty
  • I saw this tip in the weekly email and as I'm currently selling my entire CD collection via Amazon I thought I'd check it out. This was mainly to see if I could get any money for the more common CDs I have left that have low second hand prices, but also to compare prices of the ones I've already sold.

Well, I think Amazon was the right decision for me. Out of a quick sample of 15 or so discs, Music Magpie would only offer to buy one, offering £3.

For me, Amazon has proved to be a real winner. Last Sunday I went through my entire collection of 200 CDs and listed about 130 of them where the used value was at least £1. The process was simple: use this screen to search, check the barcodes match, type in the condition and then pick your price. Each time I undercut the cheapest used price by 5-10p. It took about 2 hours to process my whole collection. Within hours I'd already sold about a dozen, and 10 days later I've now sold 80.

After fees and postage costs I calculate that I've made about £140 in total - which works out on average at about £2 per CD. Certainly a little bit more effort that Music Magpie, but definitely less than eBay and worth it if your collection is large.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure