Executor being difficult

Options
Hi
I have recently informed that my Grandmother has died and has left me and my children something in her will.
My mother is the Executor and we have not spoken for a long long time. She is refusing to disclose exactly what has been left and is demanding that I collect and sign for the inheritance in person.
I am currently overseas and the last thing I want to do is come face to face with my mother again.
Probate has not been applied for officially.

Does anyone know where I stand legally and have any advice on what I should do next?

Thanks

Comments

• leespot
    leespot Posts: 554 Forumite
    Options
    Probably goes without saying, but do not sign anything without proper legal advice!
  • Sevennotemode
    Options
    if probated.

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

That way you can check exactly what you have been left and you will not be relying
    on the executor to inform you.

It would not be unreasonable to ask for a cheque in the post once the estate is finalised.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Once probate is granted you can get a copy of the will (https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate )

There is no requirement for you to go in person to collect your inheritance. If it is financial then it could be transferred to your bank account, or sent as a cheque. If it is something physical then you can ask for it to be sent to you, or you could sign a form of authority for someone else to collect it on your behalf. (If you say that, say, Joe Bloggs can collect and give a good receipt on your behalf then your mother, as executor, is covered.

If your children are still under 18 then things might be a bit more complicated, depending on what the will says (but even then you don't need to be there in person, you just might need to have a second trustee or comply with rules about how any assets are invested for them)

If your mum is beig really difficult you could contact a solicitor of your own and get them to write to her.

How recently did your grandmother die? Probate can take a while, and if her estate was very small it might not be necessary.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Annjules
    Options
    I am assuming her estate would have been quite small, apparently her funeral was a few weeks ago.
    I plan to write to my mother again and ask that whatever I have been left be posted by registered mail...failing that I will approach a solicitor.

Thank you for the advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport