If someone orders a copy of a will post probate, will family find out?

Just wondered. I doubt it, but still thinking about it.

It's a distant relative who promised something valuable to DH but haven't heard a dicky.

What do you think. Is it very grabby or what.

I'm talking about the Gov.uk website where you can order a will for a tenner after probate has been taken out.

We are not concerned if relative did not leave to DH that's fine, but if he did..... Well we could approach executors I think. I know the estate was solvent, so no worries there either. Some other distant relatives have told us, and have gotten their share.

We are two years down the line now. But would not like the immediate family to know that we are checking things out!

Oh dear, we do sound grabby don't we. Maybe just leave it be is the best thing.

Comments

• No these are public documents, and no one is informed about who has paid for copies.
  • hunters
    hunters Posts: 827 Forumite
    In Scotland, not sure if it’s the same but I was asked if someone could have a copy of my aunts will, I said no. However it was my aunts solicitor they asked.
    :j
  • melanzana wrote: »
    Just wondered. I doubt it, but still thinking about it.

It's a distant relative who promised something valuable to DH but haven't heard a dicky.

What do you think. Is it very grabby or what.

I'm talking about the Gov.uk website where you can order a will for a tenner after probate has been taken out.

We are not concerned if relative did not leave to DH that's fine, but if he did..... Well we could approach executors I think. I know the estate was solvent, so no worries there either. Some other distant relatives have told us, and have gotten their share.

We are two years down the line now. But would not like the immediate family to know that we are checking things out!

Oh dear, we do sound grabby don't we. Maybe just leave it be is the best thing.
    As KP says it is in the public domain. If there is something should have been. received then there is choice but to ask the executors.
  • hunters wrote: »
    In Scotland, not sure if it’s the same but I was asked if someone could have a copy of my aunts will, I said no. However it was my aunts solicitor they asked.
    The will is still in the public domain. Refusing to show it simply makes people suspicious for no reason.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for the information everyone.

OK I think we will order a copy of the will from the website. I have checked already and it is available, just couldn't press the button to order it as I feel we are just so grabby or something.

Anyway, as long as immediate family cannot know we ordered it, I think it is reasonable to see whether or not said asset was included in the will to DH or not.

If not, no concerns at all. If relative did though, well.....
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    I'm sure anyone who orders from the website would be covered by the Data Protection Act. Therefore no details can be given to anyone other than those with legal authority eg Police, Govt.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    In the UK, go ahead & ask (& pay).

How do you imagine the journalists get (some of) their data from?!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If it was an item left in the will, then the bequest fails if the item is no longer part of the estate at the time of death, UNLESS alternative provision has been made.

When mum made her final will, the solicitor suggested that rather than leaving particular items to us in the will, it would be better to give them to her intended beneficiaries before death. Made life a lot simpler - although there was nothing very valuable!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    If it was an item left in the will, then the bequest fails if the item is no longer part of the estate at the time of death, UNLESS alternative provision has been made.

When mum made her final will, the solicitor suggested that rather than leaving particular items to us in the will, it would be better to give them to her intended beneficiaries before death. Made life a lot simpler - although there was nothing very valuable!

The asset was very much part of the estate on the death of the relative.

But we are not sure if the will states it was to pass to OH or not.

Worth checking out I reckon for a tenner!

No worries if it was not included in the will at all. Just would like to know either way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure