This Duo's debt free journey

Comments

• I spent a little more than I would have liked today and it was completely due to lack of planning, after a long day I just didn't want to cook and it didn't help that I hadn't had time to grab anything for dinner so I had to go out anyway, if I had something in the fridge then I absolutely would have chosen cooking over going out. Ended up going to the chip shop and the shop for a couple of bits I needed. Total spends of the day £5.30 on dinner and £7.50 in the shop.

On the plus side I managed to cycle all the way into university and back! I'm feeling it now though, going to see how my legs feel in the morning before I decide whether to take the car tomorrow. Total saved by cycling: £4.50. I will have to buy myself a rain coat for cycling but without this I won't be encouraged to cycle, I think the savings I will make in parking and fuel can justify a cheap rain coat.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • I think a rain coat is essential for winter cycling DFD. Well done on cycling in, you could always do it every other day until you build up your stamina.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Well done on the cycling DFD! Having the right gear for wet weather makes a world of difference, so I'd say invest and cycle as often as you can!
    #Frugal February : NSDs Target =16
    Started here on 07 September 2017: Total:[STRIKE] £20,521[/STRIKE] £19847
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]350[/STRIKE] £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
  • Thank you both, I didn't manage to cycle today, I was aching all over this morning and I just couldn't manage it at all. I aim to cycle in tomorrow although I haven't got a raincoat just yet, going to see if I can get one on amazon as I can use my vouchers from Swagbucks that way. I'm hoping to build up to cycling in everyday except one day per week, this should be a saving of at least £10 per week.

Today has been far too spendy, £3.50 on parking for uni and then £55.28 on topping up on food. I'm hoping I won't need to buy any other food now for a couple of weeks except for milk and a top up of fruit, my little one never used to eat much but now hes constantly complaining that hes hungry and getting through so much fruit!
  • Children do eat a lot when they're growing, but they need the fuel. I try and buy cheaper fruit such as apples, bananas and satsumas which are quite filling, and avoid things like grapes and cherries etc, which are very pricey.

I don't blame you for not cycling today, I expect you'll feel less ache tomorrow and you wont need to pay for a gym membership :D.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Children do eat a lot when they're growing, but they need the fuel. I try and buy cheaper fruit such as apples, bananas and satsumas which are quite filling, and avoid things like grapes and cherries etc, which are very pricey.

I don't blame you for not cycling today, I expect you'll feel less ache tomorrow and you wont need to pay for a gym membership :D.

I agree that grapes and berries etc are very pricey, especially when he can sit there and eat a whole punnet of grapes in no time. He loves his bananas and easy peelers at the moment, not such a big fan of apples but I try to balance it out and do him a mixed bowl of stuff so that the more expensive stuff is mixed in.

My food bill is one thing that I do struggle with, I generally buy organic food which can be a fair bit more than non-organic but as there is only the two of us I feel that I can get away with it because we don't get through tons of food.

Today hasn't been too bad, spent more on parking than I would have liked as my usual car park was full, I think I will have to make sure I can cycle in on Wednesdays because of the later start and the parking situation. I bought myself a rain coat, cost around £17 and I also bought some gloves £7 for cycling to prevent my hands from being sore after riding. Completely prepared for cycling in tomorrow now so I have no excuse.
  • Hi Duo, your food shops sound like mine usually are. We do usually eat quite a lot of fruit, though the amount Kitty consumes is reduced now she can only choose between oranges/apples/bananas. Grapes and berries don't last any time at all!
    Good going with the rain coat, hope it keeps you dry for cycling! :)
    #Frugal February : NSDs Target =16
    Started here on 07 September 2017: Total:[STRIKE] £20,521[/STRIKE] £19847
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]350[/STRIKE] £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
  • I've just realised I had my figures down wrong so just updating:

Loan: 2346.38 actually £2207.38
    Car Loan: 2717.54 actually £2419.64
    0% CC: 1063.48 correct
    So total is actually: 5690.50

Wow thats a massive £433 I had added to my debt from a simple mistake on my spreadsheet, I know exactly what I had done wrong and I won't be doing that again, it feels good to wipe off debt by doing nothing! I'm so pleased, I thought I was still over the 6k mark but I'm now well and truly below it.
  • Great that the debt is lower than you thought :T. Good luck with the cycling tomorrow.
  • The last two weekends I've felt run down, I don't know whats going on with me. Feeling rubbish is really not good for my debt free targets, I find I always go for the easy (more expensive) option, for example I am extremely tempted to order takeaway this evening as I don't feel up to cooking. I usually have a leftover meal in the freezer for occasions like this but I don't think I have anything after being so unprepared this week.

I need to go over my finances today to see how much damage has been done so I will be reporting back later on, I just had to come here to get some focus and now that its written here then I have to do it! Back later.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure