Debt Free Wannabe Teacher

Options

Comments

• dfw87
    dfw87 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Sadly my Grandad was diagnosed last month with untreatable bowel cancer. It's been very hard to deal with but he is now out of hospital and at home.

My aunt and uncle have come to visit and so I have been charged with having my 13 yo cousin to stay at mine so that she isn't in the way.

Usually when she stays I go a bit overboard with treats - shopping and dinner etc. This time I have let her choose 2 things from Lidl when I did my weekly shop. Managed to keep that shop to £11.20, including her treats. Happy with that!
    Since 'lightbulb moment' on 9th July 2017:
    Loan: £1,670.25/£20,043.00 loan - 8.33%
    £2,350.62 in savings
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's easily done though, particularly topic related books etc.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • dfw87
    Options
    Went a bit AWOL but my spending/saving has been fine!

End of term has meant that I have had to buy things for a shared school lunch, buy presents for my TAs etc. Also needed more petrol and little things like that.

However, I have made some good choices:

- bought my toiletries with Boots points rather than money.
    - had my bank switch go through and added the £125 bonus straight in to my savings account.
    - received a £20 gift card from the governors at school for being on the committee.
    - sold some weights for £20.
    - took part in a government survey at my house - will receive £20 in vouchers for this over the next few weeks.
    - sold a dress on eBay for £10.

Think that's about it for now but things are going well!
    £2,350.62 in savings
  • dfw87
    Options
    Still going strong!

Did another bar shift last night which earnt me £39 (after tax) which I'll get paid next Friday, and £11.50 in tips.

Broke up from school on Friday so am looking forward to a relaxing six weeks off!
    £2,350.62 in savings
  • dfw87
    Options
    Today I have earned £3 from SB.

I opened a savings account when I changed banks and I am putting any money from my new bar job, tips, upcoming birthday money, found money, eBay etc in there - already at about £230
    £2,350.62 in savings
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Excellent progess already. Have you set up a standing order to pay your mum to cover loan payment monthly? When is your DFD?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dfw87
    Options
    Excellent progess already. Have you set up a standing order to pay your mum to cover loan payment monthly? When is your DFD?

Thank you!

I haven't yet - I am waiting to see what date the first payment comes out of her account (she got a loan in her name) and I will make sure she has it a few days before that in the future - she is OK with this.

I am thinking I can overpay this by at least £300 a month, however I am going to save this up and do it in larger repayments. So, I an going to build up a £1000 saving pot and then anything above that, I will pay off in increments of £2,000 I think. We will see - it's all a learning curve!
    £2,350.62 in savings
  • dfw87
    Options
    Been away for two nights glamping which was lovely. I had bought it for my boyfriend's birthday so I had already paid for it all. However, I did say I would pay for everything when we were there as part of his present :eek:

Luckily, he paid for our first lunch out and our main food shop for our BBQ etc. I then paid for lunch the next day - which was a shocking £55 :eek::eek::eek: and our food shop the next day which I kept down to £11.50. I then had to buy more logs for our wood fired hot tub and ice creams - that came to £11.

I got paid yesterday and my Halifax bank switch all went through today so I officially have a new bank account. I transferred anything that was left in my account before I got paid into my savings and I now have almost £500 in there - can't believe it!

It's my 30th birthday on Friday so I will be buying a few things for that I expect - I am having friends and family around for food and drinks - was supposed to be a BBQ but the weather isn't looking great!

I then go on holiday to Malta on \Monday - again, this has all been paid for but it is obviously going to cost me extra when I am out there for meals etc! :(
    £2,350.62 in savings
  • dfw87
    Options
    Paid my first loan instalment today - updated my signature to reflect that - can't wait to see it changing!

I sold a dress today and transferred the money straight from my PayPal to my savings account. Aiming for an emergency fund of £1000 and then anything on top of that will be to pay the loan back as soon as possible - I'll wait until I have a large amount.

Savings are almost at the £500 mark already after just one month which I am so proud of!
    £2,350.62 in savings
  • dfw87
    Options
    Feel a little like I am talking to myself... but then I know I lurk on other threads so hoping people are here too!? Never mind, it is a good way for me to keep track anyway.

Today I had to get my car washed (would love to do it myself but it was mainly the inside that needed cleaning - major incident with a large sheet of polystyrene! I can't park outside my house so wouldn't have been able to hoover) so that cost £15.

I also got a drink and cake whilst waiting... totally unnecessary!

Sold another dress and just waiting for the money to be paid so I can transfer that to my savings. Also get paid for my bar work tomorrow which will also go straight to savings - about £43 I think.

It is my 30th birthday tomorrow - eek! I think I will get a little birthday money and will put that in my savings. I go on holiday to Malta on Monday and need to sort out some money for that. I think I'll take out some Euros and aim to stick with that. If I need to take anything out then I will transfer it to my bf and he will get it out on his card - avoiding charges!!
    £2,350.62 in savings
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills