eschaton Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    RNLI
    Dogs Trust
    SPCA
  • Wheres_My_Cashback
    Options
    How quickly? My last 19 attempts to set up a DD to Paypal have all failed.

Whats Paypal got to do with PayAQuid ?

Paypal are phasing out the DD facility.
  • Autumnella
    Options
    Park Christmas savings scheme, getpark.co.uk, then you get what you pay back in vouchers just before Christmas.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    Hey - if you're going to set up a donation to the Dogs Trust then make it for a decent amount - £1 won't even buy a couple of cans of Chappie these days...
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    mt99 wrote: »
    Hey - if you're going to set up a donation to the Dogs Trust then make it for a decent amount - £1 won't even buy a couple of cans of Chappie these days...

Well, £1 doesn't go very far whichever charity you choose...! And £1 less DD fees goes further than £0.

But they are valid DDs, which is what's being asked for - the PDSA also takes £1 DD donations, although mine took 5 weeks to validate and get up and running.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, £1 doesn't go very far whichever charity you choose...! And £1 less DD fees goes further than £0.

But they are valid DDs, which is what's being asked for - the PDSA also takes £1 DD donations, although mine took 5 weeks to validate and get up and running.

But £0 is better than minus something - and what none of us knows is precisely what costs the charity has in setting up and operating direct debits.

There are several alternatives which don't involve the risk of charities losing money, so either give the charity a reasonable amount, or simply don't involve them in your money making scheme.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    But £0 is better than minus something - and what none of us knows is precisely what costs the charity has in setting up and operating direct debits.

There are several alternatives which don't involve the risk of charities losing money, so either give the charity a reasonable amount, or simply don't involve them in your money making scheme.

What properly run charity is ever going to accept a donation amount that results in a loss?
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    eschaton wrote: »
    What properly run charity is ever going to accept a donation amount that results in a loss?

I wonder if you have a list of "properly run charities"?
  • binaryuniverse
    Options
    I find the abuse of charities, to satisfy a £1 direct debit requirement, somewhat abhorrent, if I'm being perfectly honest.
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »

Bank charges for a registered charity to operate direct debits is nothing.

Cost of setting them up will depend whether you do it online, or do it by post or over the phone and whether or not the charity relies on volunteers or paid workers to do their admin work. Either way if a direct debit of £1/month is kept active long term the charity will recover the costs involved in setting it up.

Do you ever think that donating items of low value to a charity shop is pointless because they won't even be able to recover the cost of running the shop from low value donations? If not, why do have a different view to low value direct debits?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure