P45 - Redundancy - New Job

I was made redundant on 4th October (following the normal and proper processes etc 12 weeks notice holiday etc)

I have received my redundancy payment, my final wages, together with my P45.

I have been very fortunate, and started a new job immediately on 5th October, temp to permanent though an agency.

I have given my Agency my P45 and am being paid weekly (which I assume is the norm for agency temporary workers) However, my first pay slip for two days, I have not paid any tax or NI.

Is this correct? And if so , why?

I was working full time in my previous job, and my new job is also full time.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    It doesn't sound right so you may want to take it up with the agency. If they didn't have all your details in time for the first payment I would have expected them to us BR tax code.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I was made redundant on 4th October (following the normal and proper processes etc 12 weeks notice holiday etc)

I have received my redundancy payment, my final wages, together with my P45.

I have been very fortunate, and started a new job immediately on 5th October, temp to permanent though an agency.

I have given my Agency my P45 and am being paid weekly (which I assume is the norm for agency temporary workers) However, my first pay slip for two days, I have not paid any tax or NI.

Is this correct? And if so , why?

I was working full time in my previous job, and my new job is also full time.

If you want an answer to this you have to give the required details.
    From the P45 part 1A the gross and tax figures, both sets if there are two sets, the tax code, is there an X after the code and the week or month number. Then from the first payslip the tax code and basis, the week number, the taxable gross and tax paid, taxable gross to date and tax paid to date.
  • chrisbur wrote: »
    If you want an answer to this you have to give the required details.
    From the P45 part 1A the gross and tax figures, both sets if there are two sets, the tax code, is there an X after the code and the week or month number. Then from the first payslip the tax code and basis, the week number, the taxable gross and tax paid, taxable gross to date and tax paid to date.

Part1A the gross and tax - there is no X after the code and the week1/month1
    Total pay to date
    £9144.26
    Total Tax to date 677.80
    Tax code 1150L
    There are no entries in box 8 or 5

On my first pay slip for the two days I have worked I have tax code 1150L/X
    This Period:
    Total gross pay £146.10
    Gross for Tax £146.10
    Earnings for NI £146.10

Year to date:
    Gross pay td £146.10
    Gross pay for Tax td £146.10
    Tax paid td £0.00
    NI Earning td £146.10
    EE's NI td £0.00
    Ees Pension td £0.00

Net pay £146.10

Thanks for your help - as I am sure I should have paid tax, and NI from day one?
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 October 2017 at 8:59AM
    Regarding NI your earnings were below the payment threshold for NI so no NI was due.
    Regarding tax you have not advised the tax week/month number for the P45 or the first payment. Need these to work out tax position.

Edit Your P45 has not been applied yet and you were taxed on the emergency tax code. On this you did not earn enough to pay tax.
    The figures on P45 suggest that this was issued as at month 6. You advise started job on Oct 5 so probably received first weekly pay in week 27. This would suggest that no tax was due that month (rather a small tax refund).

If advise tax month / week will be able to confirm, or adjust these figures.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure