Electrician Company Threatening Court

Options
MoneyAdvice
MoneyAdvice Posts: 61 Forumite
edited 16 October 2017 at 1:53PM in Debt-free wannabe
Earlier this year, about six months ago, my support worker helped me arrange an electrical company to install my electric cooker. They were only on site for around 5-10 minutes and then left because they were unable to perform the job due to (reported) missing parts on the cooker. Personally I think they were just incompetent because another electrician installed the cooker without any issues.

When I contacted the electrician company (former), they said they were going to bill my card and then send me invoice, even after I requested that I'd like to be invoiced first. So I immediately cancelled the card.

Seven months later, I received an invoice with a payment demand. So I forwarded this on to the debt advisors at my local autism centre, who said they would take over liaising from here. A month later (last week), the electrician company sends another demand and threatens court action.

I know your advice will be to talk to the debt advisor, but my question is will this electrician company actually go to court for £126.00?

Some Key information about me:

I have Asperger's Syndrome / Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I have an Autism support worker and I'm on ESA & PIP.

Before anyone judges, I am unable to work due to sensory issues that my brain experiences, which is why I'm on PIP.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

My son is autistic, so i can sympathize with you on this.

Quiet often a company will threaten legal action as a means to get payment from you, even if they did, you will have a chance to put your side of the case, submit a defense, and the matter would be dealt with accordingly.

I have hardwired many electric cookers in my time, it takes, as you say, around 5 mins to do, usually a simple job, certainly not worth £126 in my opinion.

Dont worry about court action, you don't actually have to go to a court, normally, its all done online and by post, unless its decided to have a hearing.

But i don't`t think it will come to that, your debt advisor is the best person to deal with this matter, i would dispute the size of the bill, as they never actually carried out any work, all you really owe them is a call out charge, in my opinion, no more than £50.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Money Advice,

I think it would be worth contacting your debt advisor again, as the best thing to do is try and resolve this before the risk of court action. I would suggest asking for a breakdown of the £126 and copy of their code of practice/ billing information etc. I suspect this bills includes some kind of standardise call out charge and possibly another charge because they couldn't take the payment. Beyond that I couldn't say how they are justifying this bill, and I agree that is an expensive bill for the service you received.

You could speak to the Citizen's Advice Consumer Service - 0345 404 05 06 to discuss the situation in more detail. Make sure that the communication is done in writing, keep copies of everything sent and make sure everything is sent recorded delivery. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi OP gosh I have bought electric cookers for £100 that included delivery and connection, so yes they are ripping you off and if they didn't do the job then they shouldn't be asking for payment, as above speak to you advisors and make sure they understand the job wasn't done.
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    Advise them that the contract was for completed task and they were unable to complete the task due to incompetence and therefore the contract was unfulfilled.
    The fact a second Electrician was able to complete the task within ten minutes without any issues strengthens the position that they were not only incompetent but unable to fulfil a simple basic contractual task.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    If you're unable to, get your support worker to send them a stern letter stating that they cannot bill you for work that they failed to do.

As Marktheshark says, use the 2nd electrician to prove this. get them to write a letter saying there was no issue with the cooker that wasn't solvable by a competent engineer, and the initial installer failed in their work, so you're not liable for their time.

They're literally trying to prey on the vulnerable here, so don't let them get away with it.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure