Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 29th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 65Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Outsider_83
    Bank Mail going to Incorrect Address
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    Bank Mail going to Incorrect Address 29th Sep 17 at 11:37 AM
    Hi All,

I changed address around six months ago and duly updated by bank records. I noted that no bank documents were coming my way, then on a separate subject I had a complaint with the bank and their written responses were not coming to me. It appears all my mail was sent to my original address and has either went missing or been scrapped/not forwarded by the current occupier.

Some of the information was of quite a sensitive nature and it alarms me that this has went to the incorrect address and possibly been seen by someone else. I have flagged this with the bank who have effectively said "it's not our responsibility and errors occur from time to time". I am not impressed with this response, do I have any rights at all?
Page 2
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 13th Oct 17, 1:38 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    Which bank?

They sound thoroughly backwards.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Danske bank.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 13th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    Cotta
    From reading elsewhere on the forum £75 sounds a little light?
    • alanq
    • By alanq 13th Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    • 3,775 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    alanq
    Looking at the Financial Ombudsman's web site I see two cases of banks misdirecting mail.

Mail sent to neighbour with whom there was a bad relationship (had been previously assaulted by him) causing severe distress. Awarded £200.
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/128/128-sensitive-data.html#cs1

Mail sent to neighbour causing "trauma". Customer rejected bank's £50 offer and claimed £5,000. Ombudsman felt that the bank's offer was sufficient. That was 12 years ago so £75 seems about right now.
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/45/45_bankers_duty.htm
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,523Users online

Martin's Twitter