Nat West rejected claim for packaged account fees to be returned

Options
debby_wilson
debby_wilson Posts: 3 Newbie
I have had NatWest accounts for years, starting with STEP, then advantage gold which was a low fee paid for account, then they upgraded the Gold to Platinum and increased the fees. I believe this was done by letter. I trusted the bank to give me reliable and suitable advice and accepted the new account with the increased fee as it came with car breakdown, annual travel and mobile phone cover.

When it upgraded to platinum I used to go into the branch to collect the annual travel policy booklet and just took that on holiday with me - I was told it was all part of my packaged account (ok I should have read it but trusted the bank had made the right decision with regard my account and my privileges. I done this for years and also asked the bank to note on my account I was out of the country in case my card was blocked. two years ago my car broke down and I called Nat West - I found I wasn't covered for the car break down as was 110 miles from home and the breakdown cover was a max of 30 miles to tow me to a garage! again I should have checked but just trusted the bank that my privileges were applicable. I should have cancelled the account then but just forgot about it after paying to get my car transported home at a huge cost.

This year I became ill just before going on holiday, so called NW to ask what was covered on my holiday insurance. I was told to log into the 'benefit' screen on my online banking and find it all there. I near on fell over, I was not covered at all due to my gall stones condition, but realised my partner was also not covered as he had asthma from childhood - so the insurance was no good either and I had to get cover from an independent broker for £250 for the 10 days.

I called Nat West, discussed my issues and the lady said 'oh so it sounds you have been mis-sold' and said she would put the claim through and I would hear within 8 weeks. I have so far called three times as would have expected a confirmation letter that a claim was being processed, have been told that letters have been sent in August and again two weeks ago. Nothing received. I called again yesterday to be told that the claim has been resolved on 30th September (still no letter) and they have rejected my claim as I was given t's & c's each time my account upgraded, and regularly throughout the lifetime of the paid for accounts.

When I made the complaint initially in August I was told I could have a reward account for £2.00 per month (I have been paying around £19 per month and this was my only benefit, so immediately down graded the account to still get rewards (which have only been in place a couple of years). I was never offered this previously. Where do I stand now, I still have no letter even thought the lady read it all out yesterday on the phone, telling me what days and methods they used to advise me of the terms and conditions. I can't go to the ombudsman without the letter and they seem reluctant to give me the letter or so it would seem. I am not doing this just to get back 1400 quid, but because I believed I was sold this account, or advised to upgrade and believed the bank had my best interests.

I am not jumping on the bandwagon to claim back some money, but genuinely needed my cover for annual holiday and car and both times realised it did not cover me at all. What now?

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you want people to read that then I suggest you edit and use paragraphs
  • debby_wilson
    Options
    thanks, only joined the site five mins ago and was unsure if there was a limit on space.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well, you can't say you unaware of the benefits because you tried to use them.
    In both cases, you just weren't covered for the things you wanted to claim for.

However, the travel policy was useless to you so this may sway the ombudsman slightly.

If you have been rejected and told you've been rejected on the hpone, then you can escalate it to the ombudsman but you have to be clear about what you're complaining about.

Most packaged bank account complaints succeed because the benefits would have been useless to the holder, or they already had that cover in place elsewhere. Your travel insurance was useless, because you weren't covered through health conditions.

You can try that one, although it's not a guarantee at all.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 October 2017 at 5:33PM
    Options
    The Nat West policy term and conditions do not say there is no cover for pre existing conditions what it does say is that you have to phone the insurer beforehand to see whether they would cover you for that particular condition. Are you saying you phoned the insurer and they told you would not be covered?

With regard to UK breakdown cover the policy docs for the platinum account contradict what you were told by the breakdown company :-

UK car breakdown cover
    With this cover Green Flag will get you and your vehicle home, or to your preferred location, anywhere in the UK.

What's included?
    - Green Flag roadside and homecall cover anywhere in the UK
    - Cover for vehicles you own that are kept and registered at your home address
    - Covers anyone driving or travelling in the vehicle
    - We'll get you and your vehicle home, or to your preferred location, anywhere in the UK
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure