partner laid off from zero hours contract, any rights?

124»

Comments

• flashnazia
    flashnazia Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    SarEl wrote: »
    It confuses everyone. I can't post the link right now, but if you Google redundancyforum.co.uk , look for the Frequently Asked Questions section on that site, you will find in there a thread that explains the basic differences between contracts. Like all potted law, it's general, and therefore guidance. But it helps.

And it also tells you that casual employees are not the same as zero hours workers!

In terms of the specific question, in the end only a tribunal can decide that. Regular hours of then type you describe may lend themselves to suggest that those may not be a zero hours contract, but not necessarily. The most crucial test is the right to refuse work.

Personally I would do away with zero hours contracts. But the impetus for that is not, as I said, there.

Thanks for the info; I'll have a look when I'm at work.

I agree with you about zero hours contracts. Too much potential to exploit workers.
    "fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)
  • SarEl
    SarEl Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    flashnazia wrote: »
    I'll have a look when I'm at work.

I wouldn't recommend it, or you may find you are posting on here for other reasons!
  • flashnazia
    flashnazia Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    SarEl wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend it, or you may find you are posting on here for other reasons!

It's only a redundancy forum (unless they have some other info!)

I work in an advisory capacity so it's vital I keep researching so its allowed don't worry!
    "fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)
  • How could I have been on a zero hours contract when I always had my work rota six weeks in advance, surely I was an employee not a worker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure