Lost money on expired gift card!!

Hello,
I am really quite cross as I have a gift card for House of Fraser. I just rang up to check the balance, I knew there was a problem as it was not acknowleding my card online. Only to be told that my card has expired!! Thankfully it only had about £6 on it - (but £6 is £6!!) I asked if i could still get the money and was told NO!! The cards expire 24months after the last load.
They must make no end of money this way! I urge you to check your cards, many of my friends have just found themselves in the position.
Does any one know if there is any legal right to claim back this money and how to go about it?
I did get an address for House of Fraser to write to and will be dropping them a line.

Comments

• zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's not worth embarking on legal action for £6, surely!
  • Hi
    I wasn't intending on paying for legal action. I meant if someone knew whether the money was still legally mine even though card has expired.
    And does anyone know how to claim it back.
    I know mine is only £6 but I am sure other people have probably lost alot more.
    It's also the principal of the matter - These are big companies literally just keeping our money! They must make thousands this way!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Expiry dates on gift cards are quite common, it's not just House of Fraser. National Book Tokens and Waterstones Gift Cards also have a similar "life" as do many other cards, some are only 12 months.

If the terms and conditions are clearly stated on the card or any accompanying literature, then there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • I have jsut been told that my £100 of ticketmaster gift cards have expired! was given them 15 months ago by my brother, but due to having a baby, not had time to think let alone book anything. Trying to book lion king tickets for christmas and now told they have expired. Is there anything I can do? Surely they can't jut pocket £100 like that, especially after such a short space of time. If I can't get the credit back, can my brother at least get his money back.
    Any ideas?
    mr nobby
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    My son had a £30 gift card for Game who are now in administration and not accepting their own gift cards. The moral of the story is never ever buy someone a gift card and if you have one, use it asap! Gift cards are not a gift, they're a damned curse!
  • Deru
    Deru Posts: 621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I once kept a £20 Virgin Megastore (then turned Zavii, then HMV) voucher in my wallet for a year and by the time I wanted to use it, noticed it had expired.... was a Birthday present.

The shops want people to forget to use them / lose them. Means they effectively earn a massive profit for selling you a piece of paper / card.

T&C's always state that once they expire, nothing you can do about it as you should really just remember to use them or give them to someone who would.

Lesson learnt for me. Only ones I let expire are Tesco ones, which force me to spend £20 or whatever....
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mr.nobby wrote: »
    I have jsut been told that my £100 of ticketmaster gift cards have expired! was given them 15 months ago by my brother, but due to having a baby, not had time to think let alone book anything. Trying to book lion king tickets for christmas and now told they have expired. Is there anything I can do? Surely they can't jut pocket £100 like that, especially after such a short space of time. If I can't get the credit back, can my brother at least get his money back.
    Any ideas?
    mr nobby

not sure what ticketmaster did wrong here. you had a gift card you didnt use and it expired. why do you think they are at fault and should refund it? your best bet is to write them a very polite letter and they see if they will reissue it.
  • Hi all lovely money savers who lost money on expired gift cards!

Just wanted to share my experience and to encourage asking for what's essentially yours!

Had a similar situation with my Mamas and Papas gift card which had £30 still left on it from October, 2010 which is from almost 2 years ago. Although T&Cs state it expires after 12 months, I phoned up their customer service and had it renewed no questions asked.

Somebody in older forums said they used their expired card at the till, and when I it wasn't reading, the stuff manually input the numbers with no questions asked as well.

You won't get it if you don't ask! Good luck!
  • It's worse than that - ticketmaster now won't even let you extend the date, I phoned up 11 months into the 12 month period and was advised that I cannot extend the date either. If that's not unfair terms I'm nit sure what is - best to avoid their vouchers in general.
  • If a National Book Tokens token expires (if not been used for 24 months) then you can easily get it replaced via process described at NBT site. Search for gift card expiry or go to nationalbooktokens dot com slash giftcardexpiry

You do need to have the expired token!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport