The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Amazon £7bn sales, but no tax! Should we boycott Amazon this Christmas?

I run a small limited company - just me - no employees, and I pay £15,000 to £20,000 corporation tax each year, which is 20% of my profits. I would rather keep the lot, but I don't because tax is a fact of life which keeps this country going.

However, Amazon made £7bn profits in the UK last year (allegedly) and managed not to pay any UK corporation at all. Is this fair? I think not!

Read the full story here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/04/amazon-british-operation-corporation-tax

It has become all too easy just to click and buy from Amazon and I am guilty of it probably several times a month. But I have decided to try and have an Amazon-free Christmas this year. It won't be easy...Black Friday is coming up...but it just doesn't seem fair that they can take such a large slice of sales in the UK without putting anything back.

Anyone want to join me? We are going to have to work just that little bit harder to match or beat Amazon prices on what we want to buy.

Comments

• topsales
    topsales Posts: 351 Forumite
    Stupid idea!!!
  • adxm
    adxm Posts: 77 Forumite
    no matter how much you 'resist' amazon they will still be making millions upon millions of profit regardless
    topsales wrote: »
    Stupid idea!!!
    agreed
  • I too read this story and decided to stop using Amazon. It will mean that I will need to spend a little more time shopping for Christmas presents this year, but I'd rather do that than support a company which thinks it's OK to get out of paying tax with some loopholes. Hopefully it'll mean supporting more small businesses too.
  • I have also stopped using Amazon - often it just takes a little extra work to find an alternative, and even if it's only a small amount of people, it still adds up.
  • jap200
    jap200 Posts: 2,033
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    adxm wrote: »
    no matter how much you 'resist' amazon they will still be making millions upon millions of profit regardless

agreed

I have no problem with them making millions of £ in profit - that it the point of running a business. What I am against is their failure to pay any corporation tax in the UK.

Whilst I agree that the loss of my purchases from Amazon is a meaningless drop in the ocean to them, by registering my view on a high profile consumer website like MSE I hope to raise awareness and maybe even get people talking about it.

MSE has moved mountains in the past - never underestimate the collective power of public opinion!
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Ain't that the reason why they can keep their prices down?
  • jap200
    jap200 Posts: 2,033
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    DUKE wrote: »
    Ain't that the reason why they can keep their prices down?

Well no doubt it is a contributory factor, but that still doesn't make it right in my opinion. Why should I, as a small business owner, pay 20% corporation tax, but not them?
  • xanthe
    xanthe Posts: 329 Forumite
    I think Boots and Vodafone also do it?

I might go with the idea of boycotting Amazon.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I am torn I should boycott them but.....

I do feel a bit like a hypocrite as I love the upcoming black friday deals - it is just good fun.

I also have gift certificates with them from Topcashback to spend.

It really is for the government to crack down on this with all the companies.
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    It is just so easy to shop that way.....sheer laziness I suppose. Although I do think the OP has a very good point. Will I do it? Probably not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure