Norwegian fjords cruise

Comments

• What do you call pretentious?

I've sailed with P&O and most of the nights on their cruises are smart casual with a couple of formal nights where if the men don't want to wear the full DJ get up then a smart shirt & tie is acceptable.

We've also been on cruises on RCI where the dress code was totally ignored.....and without wishing to sound pretentious, it did make you wonder when people were in the dinning room eating in clothes they'd been on deck in!

Yes we have a friend that had a butler on his cruise but he paid serious money for the privilege but it's a case of you pays your money .......

TBH I'd try a taster cruise first.

As for trips bear in mind that unless you're on an organised trip the ship won't wait for you - arrive back late & you'll find the ship gone. (Weve been on cruises were we arrived late back from an organised tour an hour late only to be beaten by another trip that arrived 2 hours late.....the captain was not happy at having to wait & pay the additional docking fees!)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,519
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

We've also been on cruises on RCI where the dress code was totally ignored.....and without wishing to sound pretentious, it did make you wonder when people were in the dinning room eating in clothes they'd been on deck in!

That'd be me then. I don't get changed for dinner at home, so if I've not done anything to get me grubby, I don't really see the point of getting changed for dinner just because I happen to be on a boat instead.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    we cruised the fjords with cruise and martime (adults only). we paid approx£600 for 7 nights plus paid an extra £17 each a day to have AI drinks so we didnt have to worry about whether we did or didnt drink.

they are very much a 3 star cruise line and you dont have to do posh if you dont want to as you can eat in the bistro all the time. this is what we did on our first cruise but since then we decided we quited like the dressing up bit some days so do a bit of both

from recall most trips were approx £50ish each tho we did get off and did our own thing in most places as did lots of others

i think you will find most cruise ships will check if you bring booze on board as thats where they make most of their money after all

hope that helps
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    These days just avoid P&O and Cunard if you don't want dressing up the rest are more casual.

Hurtigruten is a bit different from the regular lines as they are working ships and you need to fly.

ex UK there are a few options C&M have been mentioned Thomson also do AI Fjord trips from Newcastle.

NCL and RCI have options a bit more up market Celebrity and Princess

Dates and budget may eliminate some options.

might be better going to one of the cruise sites like cruise.co.uk/forums (UK focus) or cruisecritic(more US)
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,274
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    What do you call pretentious?

I've sailed with P&O and most of the nights on their cruises are smart casual with a couple of formal nights where if the men don't want to wear the full DJ get up then a smart shirt & tie is acceptable.
    Basically my view is if I'm paying loads of money for a holiday, I don't want to be told what I have to wear, within reason. I guess we're not after the normal "cruising" experince - we like travelling by boat, we've done loads of long ferry crossings eg 24 hours to Sweden, 36 hours to Spain, and we like great scenery and hiking, so I think we'd really enjoy a Norwegian fjords "cruise" which would bring them all together.

But we don't want posh dinners, neither of us likes eating late, hate going to bed on a full stomach, would prefer a good lunch and light early dinner, no later than 7pm, pref 5-6pm.

Evening entertainment would be good, but not essential, for instance cabaret, piano bar, magic show, karaoke, comedy show, murder mystery night etc. But we do a lot of that at home so it's not vital - just chatting with people we've just met in the bar is fine, or even playing cards/board games.
    Were they dirty or smelly? If not, then what's the issue? We like to travel light so we're not going to take 2 or 3 changes of clothes per day!
    Yes we have a friend that had a butler on his cruise but he paid serious money for the privilege but it's a case of you pays your money .......

TBH I'd try a taster cruise first.

As for trips bear in mind that unless you're on an organised trip the ship won't wait for you - arrive back late & you'll find the ship gone. (Weve been on cruises were we arrived late back from an organised tour an hour late only to be beaten by another trip that arrived 2 hours late.....the captain was not happy at having to wait & pay the additional docking fees!)
    Indeed - wouldn't expect it to. It wouldn't be massively tragic on a Hurtigruten type cruise as they stop everywhere so would be a case of getting a bus/train to their next stop...a PITA but not like missing the boat on a Caribbean cruise where the ship'll go to another island, or a med cruise where the ship goes to the other side!

Trips are a minor issue - with the fjords the best views are likely to be from the boat anyway...we might do some trips if we fancy them but we'll probably just look up easy hikes,
  • zagfles
    Forumite
    These days just avoid P&O and Cunard if you don't want dressing up the rest are more casual.

Hurtigruten is a bit different from the regular lines as they are working ships and you need to fly.
    Yes, though we might combine it with a trip to see relatives & friends in Sweden.
    ex UK there are a few options C&M have been mentioned Thomson also do AI Fjord trips from Newcastle.

NCL and RCI have options a bit more up market Celebrity and Princess

Dates and budget may eliminate some options.

might be better going to one of the cruise sites like cruise.co.uk/forums (UK focus) or cruisecritic(more US)
    Thanks - I'm liking what I read about Hurtigruten on there.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,886
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 September 2017 at 10:53AM
    Another vote for Hurtigruten!! The cabins are comfortable and fairly basic but the lounges and public areas are very nice with great viewing windows. The food was excellent and plentiful. Its a very relaxed trip with lots of stops of various lengths. We saw the Northern Lights from the ship 3 times on a one week trip which was an added bonus.

Bit more info from Trip Adviser if you haven't already found it.....

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190502-i934-k6003254-Hurtigruten_cruises-Bergen_Hordaland_Western_Norway.html
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Mir! wrote: »
    Another vote for Hurtigruten!! The cabins are comfortable and fairly basic but the lounges and public areas are very nice with great viewing windows. The food was excellent and plentiful. Its a very relaxed trip with lots of stops of various lengths. We saw the Northern Lights from the ship 3 times on a one week trip which was an added bonus.

Ball park figure - how much did it cost, all in?
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,886
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 September 2017 at 11:31AM
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Ball park figure - how much did it cost, all in?

We went from Bergen to Tromso and I had a double cabin for single occupancy, with sea view, for about £350....but it was 5 years ago. We arranged our own flights and had an extra couple of nights in Tromso at the end of the cruise. I seem to remember the whole trip costing about £1,000 each with excursions from the boat, flights, hotel/food etc, lights chasing trip from Tromso - but we did splurge a bit.
  • zagfles
    Forumite
    Mir! wrote: »
    We went from Bergen to Tromso and I had a double cabin for single occupancy, with sea view, for about £350....but it was 5 years ago. We arranged our own flights and had an extra couple of nights in Tromso at the end of the cruise. I seem to remember the whole trip costing about £1,000 each with excursions from the boat, flights, hotel/food etc, lights chasing trip from Tromso - but we did splurge a bit.
    Looks like the one way coastal voyage is now a bit over £600 - though that's all the way to Kirkenes, with full board (ex drinks I think).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure